Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T Galaxy S9 bought outright from Samsung - is it locked?

Highlighted
Guru

AT&T Galaxy S9 bought outright from Samsung - is it locked?

During last week's $150 off sale on the AT&T variant that Samsung.com was running, I picked one up for my wife. Since the device was bought outright from Samsung, is it unlocked or still locked to AT&T? Unfortunately, I don't have a SIM card from another carrier to test it out.

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎05-02-2018 11:27 AM

Re: AT&T Galaxy S9 bought outright from Samsung - is it locked?

It’s locked to ATT and ATT won’t unlock for 14 days.   If you never intended to use on ATT, you won’t be happy with it for long.  ATT phones only update on ATT and some functions programmed for ATT won’t work on another carrier.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
Guru

Thank you for the response, @lizdance40. My wife and I are AT&T customers and the phone will be used on AT&T. However, we frequently travel abroad and use local SIM cards while there. Good to know that it's only a 14 day waiting period.

Message 3 of 4
Mentor

So for me it's like this:

Visual voicemail: Google voice

WiFi calling: Google voice, hangouts, and Facebook messenger.  

HD voice: honestly don't really think it's that important, as long as you can hear the other person and at&t is super stingy with the feature anyway only limiting it to phones bought from them and only actually working when the other person also has service and a phone through them. Honestly it's just a gimmick, wouldn't even worry about it.

Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support