The Samsung Galaxy S24
cruiz267's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, March 12th, 2014 4:10 AM

4.4.2 has ruined my galaxy s4

I downloaded 4.4.2 last night and my phone has had nothing but trouble.  Very few of my apps work. Apps like facebook, twitter, pulse news and the chive won't open. The force close message for apps I'm not evening using pop up at random, 1-2 messages every 4-5 minutes. The home key and the power button sometimes work. Music on my so card won't play. The keyboard lags. I've tried restarting the device multiple times to no avail. Other than the browser and a handful of apps my phone can't do much.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Take out your sd card then reset your phone.

I did that with my mom's phone and it worked

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Since downloading 4.4.2 I've had more weirdness infect my phone including:

1.) While texting the camera flash goes off randomly

2.) Can't get rid of pdfs that keep re-downloading from previous e-mails

3.) I can get/receive all texts except my wife's .  She gets mine but I don't get hers although she shows hers going through on her phone.

4.) If you have text open and want to increase/decrease the volume on the phone, it won't do that but the text font size increases/decreases

5.) All my previous custom sounds to signal e-mail, text, phone etc. were wiped out and replaced with a generic - the library with the previous sounds no longer lists

I stopped by the AT&T store - they had no idea how to fix it but did want to sell me on a new plan.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Same here. Can no longer group text. Can no longer receive mms images.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

@infinitejest wrote:

Since downloading 4.4.2 I've had more weirdness infect my phone including:

1.) While texting the camera flash goes off randomly

2.) Can't get rid of pdfs that keep re-downloading from previous e-mails

3.) I can get/receive all texts except my wife's .  She gets mine but I don't get hers although she shows hers going through on her phone.

4.) If you have text open and want to increase/decrease the volume on the phone, it won't do that but the text font size increases/decreases

5.) All my previous custom sounds to signal e-mail, text, phone etc. were wiped out and replaced with a generic - the library with the previous sounds no longer lists

I stopped by the AT&T store - they had no idea how to fix it but did want to sell me on a new plan.

Most of these "problems" are optional setting on your phone.

1.)  In your Accessibility Settings, under "Hearing", there is an option called "Flash Notification". With this option selected, your flash will go off when you receive a new text.

2.) Go to Settings>Apps>All Apps>Download Manager. Select "Force Stop" and "Clear Data". This should solve this problem.

3.) If you came from iPhone, it's a problem with the Apple text servers. To fix this, you need to disassociate your phone number from your Apple ID. There's also a rumored fix by wiping the Apple device you came from. (I have never been an iPhone user. I found this information with a quick web search and about 5 minutes of reading.)

4.) Go to Messaging>Settings. Under "Display", there is an option called "Use the volume key". With this option selected, using the volume keys while in Messages will change the text size.

5.) When you originally downloaded these "custom sounds", you downloaded them to the device memory, not an SD card. When your phone performs a major software update, it wipes all the data from the device memory. To avoid this in the future, make sure ALL files you want to keep are stored on your SD card, or back them up to your computer prior to a software update. And, for safe measure, remove your SD card before performing a software update.

Hope this helps.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I too am having problems after updating my GS4 to KitKat:

1) Sometimes when I send someone a text message and then exit the Messaging app, the phone calls the person I just sent the text message to.  I am positive that I am not inadvertently hitting the call icon at the top of the Messaging app.  This has happened about a dozen times in the week since I updated to KitKat.  This never happened before I updated to KitKat.

2) About a dozen apps were missing from my homescreens immediately after the update.

3) Random crashes.

4) Screen freezes momentarily (2-3 seconds) throughout the day.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@unknownuser01 wrote:

Most of these "problems" are optional setting on your phone.

1.)  In your Accessibility Settings, under "Hearing", there is an option called "Flash Notification". With this option selected, your flash will go off when you receive a new text.

2.) Go to Settings>Apps>All Apps>Download Manager. Select "Force Stop" and "Clear Data". This should solve this problem.

3.) If you came from iPhone, it's a problem with the Apple text servers. To fix this, you need to disassociate your phone number from your Apple ID. There's also a rumored fix by wiping the Apple device you came from. (I have never been an iPhone user. I found this information with a quick web search and about 5 minutes of reading.)

4.) Go to Messaging>Settings. Under "Display", there is an option called "Use the volume key". With this option selected, using the volume keys while in Messages will change the text size.

5.) When you originally downloaded these "custom sounds", you downloaded them to the device memory, not an SD card. When your phone performs a major software update, it wipes all the data from the device memory. To avoid this in the future, make sure ALL files you want to keep are stored on your SD card, or back them up to your computer prior to a software update. And, for safe measure, remove your SD card before performing a software update.

Hope this helps.

Very informative.  While a somewhat obscure setting as default (such as the flash going off when a new SMS is received) is a bit questionable; it seems that at least some of the "issues" with the update are a matter of pre-existing settings, setups, apps, etc.

This is relatively common, and to be expected with any new update.  Samsung, or any phone manufacturer for that matter, cannot test or anticipate every single possible combination of pre-existing settings, apps, etc.  and how they will work with the update.  In a perfect world, this wouldn't happen.  And more testing would yield less of these types of bugs.  But its simply not possible or feasible to test every possible configuration.  A completely clean install (wipe the phone) will always make for a more bug free update.  But of course, this is very inconvenient, and not what most people want to do.

In particular, Samsung cannot be held responsible for non-standard implementations by other manufacturers such as Apple's meddling with SMS/MMS.   Apple has taken something that is universally standardized by every other phone manufacturer, and introduced their own proprietary system (iMessage), therefore breaking the standard and causing these type of errors not just on Samsung, but other Android phones.  Of course, Apple could care less since they don't want you using Android phones, anyway.

I've seen these type of SMS/MMS errors plenty of times on various devices (former iPhone users) and as mentioned, the common remedy is to delete the old iPhone from your iTunes profile.  I believe you can also call AT&T to make sure that no iPhone is associated with your phone number.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.