Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Prepaid money expiring before I can use it.

Mentor

Prepaid money expiring before I can use it.

I've had this account from 2014 sense it was GoPhone. I've been purchasing $40 refills from Callingmart for a long time now and just noticed those are only moving the expiration date out 30 days. What the heck? Only the $25 and $99 refills do 90 days and everything in between is 30 days?

The problem:

• At the moment I'm on the 50/mo plan = 40/mo after autopay discount.
  • I have $120 in the account now and it renews on January 31st. That leaves $80 and next renewal about March 2nd. That would leave $40 with a renewal date about April 1. Right?
  • Somehow the money I have in the account magically "expires"

Message 1 of 10
Mentor

Re: Prepaid money expiring before I can use it.

More info;

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.prepaidPlanTerms.html

$10-$24 payments expire in 30 days, $25 to $99 in 90 days, $100 or more in 365 days

I have a solid payment history of $40 increments in my account but for some reason these are only bumping the expiry date by 30 Days.

Payment Amounts
Payment

12/21/18 at 07:58:42 AM CST

$40.00

Payment

12/21/18 at 07:58:40 AM CST

$40.00

Payment

12/21/18 at 07:58:39 AM CST

$40.00

Message 2 of 10
ACE - Expert

I don’t see a problem. You refilled $40 on 12/21 and your current expiration date is 3/21, that sounds like 90 days to me. Even if you did 3 separate $40 refills on12/21, that still only gets you 90 days from that date. You should have done a single $120 refill, that would have gotten you a year.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10
Mentor

My base question is

The account history is bad to use, I'm guessing by design to discourage this sort of investigation.

Message 4 of 10
ACE - Expert

Expiration dates of refills and renew dates for plans are totally independent of each other. If you buy a 30 day plan, it expires in 30 days. I believe the renew date is on day 30 so that your service does not expire. If your current plan renews on Jan 31, it probably started on Jan 2. In other words, your account balance needs to be enough to renew your plan on the 31st so that the plan automatically renews at midnight and service does not expire. Your next 30 day plan would actually start Feb 1.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 10
Mentor

I guess I just found out why this is happening. I just loaded a $25 refill which is supposed to carry a 90 day expiry with it. Before I loaded it I had an expiration of March 21st. After I am showing May 11th. That's 51 days. 

That's not a mistake in adding only 30 days, that's a deliberate shorting of how much extended time I'm supposed to get. How can I view this any other way?

Message 6 of 10
Mentor

Just called into 611 and they explained to me a couple times how the monthly plans renew 30 days etc and I'm looking good etc. I had to bring them back to the topic at hand several times and explain March 21st to May 11th is not 90 days, it doesn't matter that I have enough money in the account now, I just want to look at the expiration date. 

I point blank asked them to please change my expiration date to June 19th to properly reflect the 90 day expiration extension I just purchased and they did. 

So basically now I just need to watch this expiration date and make sure my renewals get the amount of time they are supposed to add??

Message 7 of 10
ACE - Expert

@MaxBurn wrote:

I guess I just found out why this is happening. I just loaded a $25 refill which is supposed to carry a 90 day expiry with it. Before I loaded it I had an expiration of March 21st. After I am showing May 11th. That's 51 days. 

That's not a mistake in adding only 30 days, that's a deliberate shorting of how much extended time I'm supposed to get. How can I view this any other way?

Once again, you are not understanding. The expiration date is 90 days from the day you do the refill, not an extra 90 days added to your current expiration date. If you did the refill today, May 11th sure sounds like 90 days to me.

Message 8 of 10
Mentor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by MaxBurn
‎02-10-2019 10:52 AM

The real answer; When you add money to your account the money expiration date doesn't get added to whatever the present expiration date is. Instead it expires 30,90,365 days from when you add the money.

May 11th is 90 days from the day I added the refill. 

I guess I will need to use that $100/365 day option when refilling for three months in the future. 

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 10
Mentor

I didn't see your reply when I typed that last one. I guess I never understood the terms of the service correctly because when I buy something I expect to get that amount, not less than what I purchased because I am buying ahead of time and being proactive.

Now I know. 

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support