Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
JimmyWang's profile

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, August 3rd, 2018 9:18 AM

How to keep the active status of prepaid phone

If I have an active prepaid account with my prepaid phone as the only phone registered on site for six months. If during these six months sometime I swap the prepaid sim to another unlock phone for temporary service. Will I be able to unlock the prepaid phone after six months?

In summary I have six months continuous paid service, only registered one imei under my account. Occasionally use the sim with other unlocked phones. How will it work? Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@JimmyWang

The lock is on the phone, not your account.  If you swap the sim to another phone, you should consider you DID restart the clock.  If you want the phone unlocked keep it continuously active for 6 full paid months.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

I do not know for sure but I suspect each time you switch SIM cards, you will restart the 6 month clock on that imei. 

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks. I really hope it is not the case. (I was thinking since I am paying AT&T six months and there is only one prepaid phone involved, why would they care about continuous service. The unlocked phone has nothing to do with them also.)

There is a place to update the sim and/or imei on the site. When the sim is in my unlocked phone, I tried to reenter the imei of prepaid phone there and it would give me a response of success. I really wish that the site can be made more transparent and let user see what is behind.

Anyway I guess I would be able to tell how it works after the end of six months.

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.