Get the myAT&T app
GUCCI4B's profile

Scholar

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, October 26th, 2008 11:43 PM

Closed

checking voicemail from landline incurs roaming to wireless account?

My bill just cut and I have lots of international roaming charges, I know I made three calls - initiated - and received - picked up on no calls while in Bermuda earlier this month.

Yes, I did call my voicemail from my landline, phone was on, but hit ignore or let it ring like I always do and have done for years down there.

Each of those calls it seems I got charged the $1.99 per minute.

What can I do?

I have never disputed calls with ATT before s0 will they just take my word and credit my account?

Have the T&C changed where checking voicemail international is charged to your account.

I am upset, as this have never happened before and it is totally new I assume -- Just in June I did the same thing -- checked voicemail from landline, while in Bermuda and no per minute charged there.

BTW it took 10 days to cut the bills --- often is much faster in my experience.

Thanks for your advice.

Accepted Solution

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

15 years ago

Sounds like an error to me. There is no charge for checking the VM from a landline or any other mobile phone. Also standard int. roaming has a maximum of $1.29/minute and not $1.99.

Please take a look at the Roaming FAQ:

Q. How am I charged for Voicemail calls while roaming internationally?A. Voicemail calls are charged as follows:
When your device is on:
  • calls that you do not answer that are routed to the AT&T voicemail system will be charged as an international roaming incoming call to your device.
  • In addition, the foreign carrier's routing of that call to the AT&T voicemail system may generate an outgoing call charge from your device's location to the U.S.
  • These charges apply even if the caller disconnects from the voice mail system without leaving a message.
If your device is turned off:
  • When someone tries to call you, the call will go directly to your personal voicemail greeting.
  • Since the network does not try to deliver the call to you in a foreign country, there are no international roaming charges.

Q. How can I access Voicemail while roaming internationally?

A. To retrieve voicemail messages:

1. Press and hold the retrieval key on your device (this is typically the "1" key)
  2. Interrupt your personal greeting by pressing the "*" key
  3. Enter your voice mail password
  4. If you reach the main voicemail system greeting instead of your personal greeting, enter your 10-digit wireless number, then follow steps 2 and 3.

Using this method of accessing voicemail will incur normal international roaming charges for a voice call. Alternate methods of voice mail retrieval, including dialing your 10-digit wireless number, will incur additional charges.

Message Edited by Buckyball on 10-27-2008 06:17:58 AM

Guru

• 

17 Messages

15 years ago

I started traveling a lot last year and I always had those 1 minute charges for calls that I did not pick up. As your phone was turned on the call was routed to it overseas and then back to the U.S. when you did not pick up, that's why you incurred the 1 minute charge. I don't think you can dispute those charges as they are not a billing error. I think there is a phone number you can call to get direct access to the voicemail system (this requires your phone number and pin), if there is no such number then you just have to turn off your phone to avoid those charges.

Scholar

• 

8 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks. The calls that I received - from other people do not show up on my bill -- those rang and those were routed to my phone and I did not pick up.....I called my voicemail from fixed line to check the message. I was charged for the VM checking not other ppl calling me.

Whether or not the call is routed can't be the answer.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

15 years ago

But you got to your voicemail on a conditional call divert so you are in exactly the same position as someone who deposited the voicemail. The call went from the US to your mobile abroad. When you rejected or ignored the call, it went back to your voicemail. If you would have shut your phone off for a few minutes and then checked, you wouldn't have a problem and if you did, you would have grounds to dispute the charge. I always hard forward my phone to a different voicemail box before leaving the US for this reason. (Canada excluded).

Scholar

• 

8 Messages

15 years ago

That FAQ post makes sense. My phone was on, it did ring, but I let it ring or hit ignore. I checked my VM by calling my mobile number from a landline, so I would assume NO airtime involved on my mobile.  So how they list 1 min or 2 min is beyond me.

So to solve this I suppose I should memorize my VM access# now?

Anyways, seems I am at fault here, but it is soo odd because just in June (and February and last Xmas same place -- Bermuda) the same thing happened, phone on, it rang from incoming call, I let it ring or hit ignore, I called it later from landline - phone rang again, I hit ignore so I checked my VM by my PIN and NEVER got charged for either call - incoming from other party or my VM check. Yes I made out going calls from my mobile while international and those showed up- fine legit, but my VM checking from landline or receiving calls did not at that time and I know my phone was on - it rarely goes off -- only when battery is totally dead.

I remember years ago the old ATT WS used to give call credit for dropped calls, but now that people have so many minutes to use no one bothers to dispute. I have been with them for like 10 years and it is too bad they try to answer my inquiry with some caller ID block answer rather than even address my request for a credit. This is the billing department I contacted.

I told them I think something went wrong this billing cycle - I even had a MTM on my bill - I can't even send or receive MTM on my handset. I so rarely complain or compliment them you would they would just resolve this being an excellent customer.

Thanks for your advice.

P.S. International Roam Voice in Bermuda with no mohtly fee/plan is $1.99 - incoming and outgoing.

Master

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

GUCCI4B wrote:

So to solve this I suppose I should memorize my VM access# now?

Simply leave your cell phone turned OFF when you can't accept incoming calls or checking your VM from a land line and you will not incur the extra charge.  The way you were billed is now normal and has been so for a long time.  You are billed for the call to be delivered once to your phone abroad and then billed a second time when to local carrier has to send your call back to the US based VM server.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

15 years ago

For anyone traveling i think it would be best if i share how to avoid these charges all together or you choose...PER 3 LEG VOICE MAIL CHARGE ...UR ATT PHONE IS REGISTERED ON A FOREIGN NETWORK AS SOON AS UR PHONE BEGINS TO RING YOU ARE BEING CHARGED 1ST MIN THEN YOU MISS THE CALL AND IT IS ROUTING BACK TO THE U.S. TO THEVOICE MAIL SYS..2ND CHARGED MIN..THEN YOU RETRIEVE W UR ATT CELL REG ON A FOREIGN TOWER UR VOICEMAIL MESSAGES W UR ATT CELL UR 3RD MIN CHARGE. Smiley Surprised SOOOO EITHER USE AIRPLANE MODE, OR TURN OFF UR EQUIPMENT OTHERWISE ACTIVATE IMMEDIATE CALL FORWARDING STRAIGHT TO UR VOICEMAIL OR SOME OTHER U.S. # BY GOIN TO UR CALL SETTINGS IN UR EQUIP URSELF! HINT ...THE CALL FORWARD NUMBER SHOULD NOT BE UR OWN 10 DIGITS IT SHOULD BE YOUR VOICE MAIL NUMBER ...TRY THIS U'LL LIKE IT ....AND BY USIN A LANDLINE OR PAYPHONE IF POSSIBLE AND CHEAPER TO RETRIEVE MESSAGES AGAIN DO NOT CALL UR PHONE WHILE IT IS TURNED ON...   CALL STRAIGHT TO VOICE MAIL RETRIEVAL NUMBER INSTEAD IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO TURN UR PHONE OFF ....GOODDAY

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

15 years ago

International rpm charges are as follows: incoming, outgoing, vm retrieval, allow a call to go to vm and ringtime (it has to go thru an international tower to ring!). The best info for avoiding high int'l rpm charges is to keep your phone off, obviously your calls go to vm but those messages are left here in the US so don't get charged int'l rpm for left vm, only when you retrieve them. If your phone is on and a call goes to vm, you'll be charged the rpm for left vm as well as retrieving. Keep in mind people dial your # as if you were here in the US and have no way of knowing that you are roaming internationally not to mention time differences, so for all the right reasons if you don't need to have your phone on KEEP IT OFF!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

15 years ago

P.S. You can get your voicemail deposit/retrieval # from At&t or view in speed dial settings under the one key.

Master

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

iaiwc wrote:
P.S. You can get your voicemail deposit/retrieval # from At&t or view in speed dial settings under the one key.

It's normally already pre-programmed via the #1 key speed dial on most phones.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.