Get the myAT&T app
gordysmum's profile

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, December 13th, 2018 10:18 PM

Closed

Your Trade-in Program is a complete SCAM!

I am VERY unhappy with your trade-in program to upgrade my smart-phone.  Your ads are downright deceiving.  I usually go to the Apple store to do my upgrade, where they always give me at least $100 for my traded in iphone.  I have done this for the past 8 years.  This year, I decided to give AT&T a chance after my inbox was inundated with promises of at least $140 for my trade--in.  My iphone was in immaculate condition.  Your promotion made it sound as though I was going to get a $140 credit when I sent in my old phone after receiving my new phone.  I used the provided packing envelope to send it back.  After 2months, I get a gift card from At&t that can ONLY be used for merchandise in their stores.  This is NOT what was communicated in every email and ad that was sent to me.  Then to add insult to injury, I look up to see the value of the card, and it is $53.20.  I will NEVER go through this company again to purchase an upgrade.  This was purely misleading and false advertising!  I will be letting everyone I know, to use the Apple store for their trade-ins.  I regret not going with them, as they are always transparent and reliable.  I have been an  ATT wireless customer for 12 years now, and I've always been happy with my service, but I am truly disappointed in this latest experience.  Shame on you AT&T!!

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have the same exact issue! What a scam! I sent in a mint Galaxy S7 Edge was promised $85.00 and two months later see a $32.00 credit on my account. I call the trade in program and CSR says that the phone was listed as broken and missing a button. The phone has been in an Otterbox from day one! Either AT&T broke it, was damaged in shipping or they are straight out lying! The third party company that manages this program says that there is nothing they can do, because that's what the notes say! They say that I will have to call customer service but they will probably route the call back to them. This is typical corporate B$!  I will be calling AT&T and demanding the difference or I will be moving to another provider tomorrow. I have also been a 10+ year customer and cannot believe the aggravation that you have to go through to get a lousy $85.00 for a phone that you paid $800.00 two years prior.  I am starting to believe that the only company in the United States that truly has great service and puts the customer first is Walt Disney!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

The device trade in page clearly says “up to $. . . “.  And “Value based on device, make, model & condition.”.   If your devices wasn’t perfect in every way, battery running like new, it would be devalued.  

If you expect a fair value, sell the phone yourself on eBay.   No trade in is going to be close to retail.  Apple about 1/2, carriers and Gazelle about 1/4 

• 

4 Messages

In my case I have requested my phone to be returned so that I may in fact sell it elsewhere or get a second opinion. AT&T has denied me this right so that I am forced to accept their decision. I am in the process of seeking legal counsel.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

Since the trade-in page tells you that phones cannot be returned you don't have any legal leg to stand on. Trade-in phones are sent to a third-party recyclers.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I understand what you are saying, but I was told that the Galaxy S7 Edge was to receive $85.00 in good condition, not excellent wrapped in a box like new! I am more upset with the process and the CSR telling me that the phone was broken and with a button missing, which is not true. As far as "Fair Value" on Ebay you have to consider the 30% that you lose in Ebay and Paypal commissions and then dealing with dead beat bidders or complaints that it was not what buyer was looking for. My mistake was purchasing phone through ATT.com and setting up the trade there in order to speed up the process. I would have been better dealing with the store as they verified they would give the full $85.00.  I understand also that no trade is going to be close to retail, but the $85.00 is well under retail and to see a paid out value of $32.00 is far from fair. Not only that but it is going to take up to another three weeks to get the $32.00 and if still not received another three weeks after escalation.  I did call AT&T customer service and they did apologize and give me a $25.00 credit for aggravation, but unfortunately I will be jumping ship.

Verizon offered $300.00 phone credit and $150.00 per line to port over so that will make up for the loss. 🙂

Tutor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Same here. I sent in a perfectly working iPhone 6S for credit and from the time AT&T received it the screen all of a sudden wasn't working. Got $19 out of a perfectly good phone. They can take there $19 and just give me the phone back because I really question the validity of the phone all of a sudden not working. Whatever anyone does DO NOT send your phone in for trade in. Take it to the store or to Best Buy or something where you can have physical proof they are not scamming you.

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

5 years ago

A little research would have revealed that the phone companies always lowballs estimates for trade-ins. 

https://tradein.att.com/#/start-a-trade/discover-device-value

• 

4 Messages

Interesting. As it turns out I happened to trade in 2 devices. However, the second device was a pixel 2 and the online process did not have it listed as an acceptable phone for the trade in program. Instead, I had to return to the store where upon inspection an associate accepted the phone and I received the credit I needed to get the $700 rebate for one of my new lines. For my other line I had a pixel 3 to trade, which had been inspected prior by a sales associate and was expected to return a $150 value. I did not make the trade the day of the transaction as I was unprepared to release my device. I was not in the market for a new phone but while at Sam's an AT&T associate solicited me with an offer to upgrade with a $700 credit for approved device trade in. I still owed money on the phone to Verizon. Consequently I needed to retain my old phone for a few more days so that I could save important documents.

The sales associate suggested I simply ship the phone at a later time, but within thirty days. In a pragmatic effort, I took pictures of my pixel 3 prior to shipping to avoid error made from transcribing the IMEI number. In this process I serendipitously photographed the entire back of the phone. I also photographed the phone in the shipping package that AT&T provided me. Two weeks later they informed me that my phone was damaged. As shipping damages would not be their fault I requested to know who received my package and provide me with photos of the phone's damage as well as photos taken upon receipt for the sake of accountability. The trade in employees told me they have no way of knowing who received the phone and no evidence to provide of its damage.

So I am left to accept that an unknown person/ employee for this program received my package while a few days later another unknown person assessed my phone, found a purported crack that, assuming it actually has damage, occurred sometime between the time it left my house to the time of its assessment which includes a duration of time while in the hands of at least two AT&T employees. Furthermore they can produce no evidence and will not return the phone when I requested.

To recapitulate, I have to believe that my my phone with a USED value of $150 (this is for good condition, not excellent) according to multiple sites including AT&T, lost roughly 65% value due to damages that may have occurred in transit, receiving, processing or evaluation, as based on the assessment made by an unknown (not unnamed, I was informed they would have no way of knowing by At&t Tradein employee Michael employee #MJ1 on 2/18/2020 at 11:32 p.m.) person who purportedly found a crack in my phone for which they can produce no evidence nor any specific record of the employees entrusted to care for and fairly and accurately evaluate my device. And, the new value just happens to be right under the required value needed to receive the promotion that was solicited to me. Interestingly as I still owe $200 to Verizon for the Pixel 3 that AT&T won't return. I suppose I should tell Verizon to seek the balance from AT&T as I would be glad to pay for it, but due to either illegal or unethical business practices, AT&T will not return the phone to me despite I am no longer a candidate for the promotion.

Something in this scenario seems illegal. Note I have made written requests to AT&T asking them to return the device. They said no.

So by switching to AT&T I lost a working phone that I still owe $200 for and received a phone that I now must pay full price for around $1000, which I would never have purchased at that price, with a grand total of $1200 cost to switch to AT&T.

Lesson learned: switch to AT&T= $1200 upfront cost; and prepare to engage in a business relationship with a company whose mission goes beyond self interest but treats you the consumer like an adversary using coercive and deceptive business practices and complex legal language to manipulate the law and exploit the consumer beyond the usual, customary and expected norms of business practices.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

If you spot a scam, report it at ftc.gov/complaint. Your reports help the FTC and other law enforcement investigate scams and bring crooks to justice.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

We had two Samsung s9's, less than a year old and perfect condition.  There was literally nothing wrong with them.  We were quoted $190 each.  I read the fine print and understood that was to be an account credit.  We were fine with that.  We followed the trade in instructions to the letter.  I just got an email saying that we will get $34.20 for each.  I understand the valuation can go down upon visual inspection.  But to go from $190 to $34, for perfect condition???  That's egregious!  We never would've taken that deal.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@dsolis421 wrote:

We had two Samsung s9's, less than a year old and perfect condition.  There was literally nothing wrong with them.  We were quoted $190 each.  I read the fine print and understood that was to be an account credit.  We were fine with that.  We followed the trade in instructions to the letter.  I just got an email saying that we will get $34.20 for each.  I understand the valuation can go down upon visual inspection.  But to go from $190 to $34, for perfect condition???  That's egregious!  We never would've taken that deal.

Considering the resale on swappa and eBay is almost $500, yeah.   Why on earth do people use these trade in deals?   They pay at most 1/4 of the phones Value.  

File a BBB complaint and don’t use trade in deals. 

Selling on swappa or eBay is a snap. 

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

EXACTLY! You got the exact same email I did about the account credit.I know I reported them to the BBB and the FTC. [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@gordysmum wrote:
EXACTLY! You got the exact same email I did about the account credit. I
really hope there is a class-action lawsuit filed against AT&T fir this
outright SCAM! I know I reported them to the BBB and the FTC.

@gordysmum 

Have you ever read the Terms of Service?  ATT can not be sued by a class or sued by a customer for that matter.  Arbitration and Small Claims only.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.