Get the myAT&T app
Schentow's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, July 15th, 2017 6:37 PM

You should understand why I cancelling my AT&T Cellular Service

Those at the highest corporate level of AT&T need to understand why a very long term and loyal mobile customer is leaving.  I am sure I am one of your oldest customer as my account originated on Cellular 1 and was migrated to AT&T.

I am leaving because of cost.  My wife and I will save approximately $75/month with unlimited text, data and voice with one of your competitors.

I am leaving because of network quality.  I live in metropolitan Seattle. At my residence in Madison Park, I frequently have only one bar of service and incoming calls occasionally go to voicemail.

I travel to Canada and Europe frequently.  Service when available is expensive. My new carrier will provide free service in Canada and Mexico.

Without substantive changes in AT&T's mobile service more loyal customers will leave.  I hope my post is helpful.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

If that competitior is Sprint or T-Mobile then I wouldn't expect any network coverage that comes close to what AT&T (and Verizon) can offer. There is a reason T-Mobile and Sprint have to give away the farm....less towers and coverage and slower data speeds.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Schentow AT&T's unlimited plans and Mobile Share Advantage plans have free Canada and Mexico.

Not that that matters as you don't have the reception you need.  

Seems to me that price and roaming is irrelevant if you don't have the coverage you need.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

I looked up his area on Google Maps. The reason signal is low is because you have water to your east (no place to put towers on water obviously) and what looks like a golf course/park or something to the west. This particular area doesn't look too high pop. density and it just happens to be in an area where there probably are not a whole lot of towers. Just luck of the draw when it comes to that. Your address may be Seattle but this isn't city center, large industrial or commercial zoned Seattle. It's a residential neighborhood that is half golf course and the UW arboretum. No towers on those properties obviously. I know it's frustrating but it's probably not going to be any different.

In greater metro areas, suburbs, exurbs and so forth those are deployed and planned out based on being an individual entity. A suburb with 30K population and above will obviously have a lot of towers. One next to a major US interstate will have towers along the interstate. An exurb with a major university will have towers on the campus (if they allow it), etc, etc. Bedroom communities that are all residential need thick population density to get more towers basically.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

According to Coverage Map by root metrics ATT and T-mobile have excellent coverage in Madison park.  Verizon has no coverage.

IMG_6088.PNGIMG_6089.PNGIMG_6090.PNG

3 Attachments

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

As far as cost and Mexico and Canada roaming, those are perks on the newer plans.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Open Signal shows a clear advantage to T-mobile over AT&T in Madison Park. I realize that each coverage map shows different results.

Nationwide Verizon appears to have the fewest gaps.

For my purposes $100 for two phones with unlimited calls, text, and data. Plus no additional charges in Canada is the best deal.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@Schentow wrote:
Open Signal shows a clear advantage to T-mobile over AT&T in Madison Park. I realize that each coverage map shows different results.

Nationwide Verizon appears to have the fewest gaps.

For my purposes $100 for two phones with unlimited calls, text, and data. Plus no additional charges in Canada is the best deal.

till you leave home....  Tmobile stinks up in your area when you are off I5.  If you go south there are huge no service gaps been there done that....

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Schentow

If only open signal were accurate....

Comparing my actual experience with ATT and Verizon, and the user reported reception on Coverage Map, Coverage Map is accurate to user experience.  According to open signal I should get far better reception with my Verizon service than I do.  Instead, its in line with Coverage Map.  Results for T mobile and Sprint are also accurate to customer experience.  

Obviously I'm not in Seattle.  But I encourage you to look at multiple sources and ask around before you make the expensive decision to change carriers.  

Advantage

Verizon has Best nation wide coverage, but there are still a few places with no coverage 

ATT is second in overall coverage and often covers what Verizon does not.

T mobile is cheaper has huge coverage gaps if you travel within the US.  Good option is

f you fly in the US as you can access wifi on plans.  International travel can be free.  These options are additional cost.  $100 is the T mobile one.  The T Mobile one PLUS is another $10 per line.  Cheaper for a reason

Is there a 4th carrier?  Not worth mentioning 

My suggestion.  Buy iPhones unlocked from Apple direct.  Then you can get service from any carrier and switch when you need to.  Unfortunately no carrier is perfect.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I just returned from a week in Canada where I had unlimited voice and data at no additional charge. This information about data speed in the US is quite interesting.

Ihttps://www.recode.net/2017/8/2/16069642/verizon-att-tmobile-sprint-mobile-customers-slow-speeds-unlimited-data-plan

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

That's great if they cover you.. T mobile does not cover all of the US, they don't cover me. Travel within the US, then tell us how great they are.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.