For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
JeffS1234's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Monday, April 11th, 2016 11:32 PM

Why is it that I cannot block No Caller ID calls?

I have received 20 No Caller ID calls today.  I called support and was told the only thing that I can do is use Do No Disturb on my IPhone.  I don't want it not to ring, I want the calls blocked.  I pay for this phone and the calls.  Why am I subjected to paying for something that I do not want.  There is no technological reason that these cannot be blocked.  If the caller wants to block their identity that is fine.  What is not so fine is that I don't have the option to block a call from someone that can hide behind this.  We can't do it is no longer acceptable.  I will become a customer of the first mobile carrier that offers this service.

I understand that this is not a question but a statement but between this a robo calls, I am getting very annoyed in paying for others to abuse my time.

Jeff

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi there @JeffS1234 !

Thank you for posting your concerns. I’m sorry to hear you are receiving non caller ID calls and I know how frustrating this can be.

So we can provide possible options, what is the make and model of your cell phone please?

Thank you

Rachel A
AT&T Social Media Manager

Scholar

• 

323 Messages

8 years ago

iPhone blocks a phone number.  No caller ID is blank, and thus the iPhone doens't block something that is blank.  You might want to reach out to an iPhone forum for further info.  

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I have an IPhone and have used Do Not Disturb.  Problem is that I have missed a call from my doctor as he did not use his primary office number to call.  I do not see any other options.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I would disagree with your statement.  Firstly IPhone does not block a number.  The call is received and then processed by the phone. If I am paying per call, i paid for a call that I do not want.    Also you can purchase a service from AT&T to blacklist numbers.  AT&T process every call.  When it reads the header, if the CID field is all 0's or blank it can programmatically decide to not pass that call along.  Same as comparing it to a blacklisted number.  So sorry but I should be able to not recieve something that I do not want.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I totally agree with you, AT&T has not come up with a solution that does not punish or deeply inconvenience the customer; very unacceptable.

Guru

• 

629 Messages

8 years ago

The way it worked when I was a rep was, there was a feature called "parental controls." With it, you could pay a small charge ($5.00) and be able to block these types of calls, along with many other useful features.  Not sure if ATT has anything like that now though.  

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for the reply and I may be forced to sign up.  My only issue is that I use VOIP for my home phone and I can block any number including those without caller id for no cost.  I can also use services like nomorobo to block robo calls.  AT&T, like many of its competitors, believe that they can nickel and dime you for every service. I just find it a bit annoying that I have to pay to prevent calls coming to my device.  Again, thanks.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

If you don't answer a call, you're not charged for it on a per minute plan. So no, you're not paying for an incoming call that isn't answered.

Call blocking is not done on the network side unless you pay for Smart Limits. Smartphones have built in rejection features and managing incoming calls through that is the only free option. The expectation that a carrier should manage everyone's incoming calls by blocking numbers on the network side for free would be a drain on resources. With over 120 million subscribers how many support reps would it take to handle block requests for everyone?

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

It it required a human to do it I would agree that would be expensive but to allow a user to set if via an app or a website would remove the largest part of the cost, labor.  My cable company allows me to do it for free. I sign into my account, chose block unwanted calls which blocks any call with no CID information and then under block selected calls I list the numbers I want to block.  This costs me nothing.  I have been using it for years.  It is part of my phone service.  Every call that comes through the AT&T network has to be processed for routing and billing.  The cost of the additional processing to compare the CID against a list of numbers would be negligible.  If you force users to manage their own account to use this service, then the $60 a year for Smart Limits is nothing more than another profit center.  So I reject your statement.  If my cable company can do it, AT&T should be able to.  

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Comparing Landline and VOIP to wireless is an apples to oranges comparison.

Wireless does not use the same caller ID databases that landline/VOIP providers use. Two completely different technologies and ways of call routing and delivery. It takes web developers, technical engineers and others support reps to build and maintain an automated system for blocking calls....it's why SmartLimits is not free.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.