Get the myAT&T app
Madmanjb's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, October 9th, 2016 12:42 PM

Why is att acting like we don't matter

I'VE BEEN WITH At&t FOR MANY YES WITH CONTRACT PHONES AND FOR THE PAST 8 YES WITH NO CONTRACT. I REALLY LIKED THE WAY I COULD BUY PHONES AND TRY THEM OUT TO SEE HOW THE OPERATED AND IF I LIKED THEM OR NOT. FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE WITHOUT ASKING SOMEONE ELSE HOW THIS OR THAT PHONE IS. I LIKE TO KNOW PERSONALLY AS A CELLULAR PHONE CONSUMER IF THE PHONE WAS WHAT AT&T CLAIMS AND A GREAT MAJORITY OF THE TIME IT IS .BUT LATELY YOU MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO TRY PHONES OUT YOU ARE BLACKMAILING US TO KEEP YOUR SERVICE BY OBLIGATION US TO KEEP A PHONE THE MIN OF 6 MONTHS. THIS IS WRONG AND FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME A SINGLE DAD BUSTING MY BUT AT WORK AND RAISING A KID ALL ALONE AND A LOYAL AT&T CUSTOMER IS GETTING THIS KINDA TREATMENT. I FOR ONE LIKE TO LET FAMILY AND FRIENDS KNOW ABOUT DIFFERENT DEVICES WHEN SOMEONE IS SHOPPING FOR A NEW PHONE AND SOMETIMES CARRIER. YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST CARRIERS WHEN IT COMES TO COVERAGE AND SUPPORT BUT YOU GUYS REALLY SCREWED UP WHEN TELLING YOUR CUSTOMERS TOO BAD YOUR STUCK WITH THAT PHONE. IF I COULD AFFORD TO I'D BUY EVERY SINGLE DEVICE BRAND NEW TRY IT AND HOPEFULLY ONE DAY KEEP IT. THERE ARE A LOT OF PHONES THAT I BUY THE SAME MODEL AGAIN BECAUSE I LIKE THEM.THIS STARTED OUT AS A HOBBY YEARS AGO WHEN LIFE WAS GRAND BUT AFTER MY WIFE PASSED I FOUND IT HELP ME GET THREW SOME DIFFICULT TIMES AND I STILL HAVE MY WIFE'S LG G2 THAT I WOULDN'T SELL FOR A MILLION DOLLARS BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU TREAT LOYAL CUSTOMERS LIKE THEY DON'T MATTER. I'M VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS POLICY AND FOR A GUY LIKE ME A SINGLE PARENT IT'S HARD FINANCIALLY TO KEEP UP WITH THE JONES''S SO I GO AT THE PACE I CAN AFFORD AND FOR THE PAST FEW YRS AND THIS POLICY IS KILLING ME IT'S TAKING AWAY WHAT I FELT WAS A PURPOSE THAT MADE ME MY WIFE AND PEOPLE IN GENERAL WHEN THEY COME UP TO ME AND ASK ABOUT PHONES AND ATT. IT MY SOUND INSIGNIFICANT BUT IT GAVE ME A PURPOSE AND KIND OF A LEGACY MY WIFE TALKED ME INTO GOING WITH ATT BUT I REFUSED THEN ONE DAY I SAID WHAT THE HECK AND THAT WAS THE 3RD BEST THING IN MY LIFE MY WIFE BEING THE 1ST OUR SON BEING THE SECOND. BUT I'M VERY ANGRY AND DISAPPOINTED IN THE WAY I'M BEING TREATED AND IF I DIDN'T LIKE ATT COVERAGE SO MUCH WHICH I FOUND OUT WHEN I LEFT YOU GUYS FOR TMOBILE THEN VERSION I WOULD HAVE DROPPED YOUR SERVICE LIKE THE OTHERS DROP THEIR CALLS

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

7 years ago

Don't type in all caps. It is extremely hard to read so no one will be able to read and give you a resolution. Also a return here and there makes the post more readable.

I tried reading your post and gave up because it was too difficult.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

I did struggle through and I still don't quite get what the problem is, other than the price of phones maybe?

I will take a stab at it.

@Madmanjb.   In 2013 US consumers used twice the amount of data as the previous year.  In order to continue to provide the service and deal with the related increased cost, the price of phones has been separated from service.  

All carriers have done this, not just AT&T.

You are not "stuck with" a phone.  But ATT (or any other carrier) isn't going to fund your desire to switch phones all the time.  

As for cellphones, you don't have to buy from ATT.  In fact you can buy great unlocked phones for under $200 on Amazon.   I have bought and sold several phones from non ATT sources in the past 2.5 years.  I buy phones that are older, I bought a Nexus phone.  Spend some time on You tube looking at clips of "great phones under $200".   Please note, not all the phones will work in the US.  

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 years ago

I tried to read the original post as well, and I was confused about what the "problem" was.  It appears to me that they are buying new phones using them on AT&T, then trying to unlock them to sell them and buy more phones.  If this is the case, then you have a couple options.  Don't buy your new phones locked to AT&T, or buy then, and submit the unlock request before you ever use them, then they will not have the 6 month delay before they can be unlocked.  There is one more option,  sell the phones as locked to AT&T, and leave it up to the buyer to determine if they want to get teh phone unlocked by AT&T.

AT&T will not let you close a NEXT agreement within one month of opening it, unless it is to return the phne and cancel the agreement within 14 days of the original purchase.

Trying to stay on the bleeding edge of tech gadgets is an expensive hobby.  I know because I was there myself for many years.  I have learned that I can learn muchabout other gadgets from many online tech news sources and keep myself updated about many things without having to spend the money to buy the devices myself.  Perhaps it is a route you might want to consider pursuing.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

ATT also gets a little touchy if a customer continually upgrades phones more often than is normal.  I've seen a couple posts from customers with the habit of adding a line with a new Next, paying off and canceling the line, opening a new one. It looks hinky, so ATT flags the account.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

It doesn't really matter there are 3 major cell phone companies I just have to decide between what I want and what I need and get a new Hobbie that maybe doesn't cost so much and that will leave me money to buy and sell smartphones whenever because to be honest I'm tired of paying 20 to 30 bucks to have my phone unlocked so that I have more of an opportunity to make my money back to buy more phones. I do this purely to give my honest opinion about the equipment and the company I have service with. To be honest dealing with the Philippines isn't the way I imagined doing business with my carrier that is another issue though but it does and will show some consumers where At&t's loyalty is. These are hard times and our economy isn't the best and sometimes people need to be reminded a specially when we are treated like 2nd class citizens in our own backyard. I have been with at&t on and off for almost 20 years and with that I will say goodbye for now and who knows maybe for good with at&t because like alot of Americans these are lean times for us to be denied a service because of the cooperate dollar the took over Americans while we were sleeping. And I for one intend to try and open up America's eyes if even just a few it's my right

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Madmanjb

Phones cannot be unlocked until eligible.  If you have been paying another service to unlock your phones, you got ripped off.  Unlocking a phone is free.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@Madmanjb

Unlock the phones as a non customer BEFORE you put your sim in the phone......  your buying prepaid phones so of course there are rules those phones are cheap because they are trying to get you to buy service.

I have 15 phones on my desk at any given time.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Geesh, if he's buying prepaid phones, most are crud to begin with, or refurbished or old.  

The only phone's with playing around with are not ATT branded anyway.   Amazon has a few decent bargain phones.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Well some people have the luxury of having 15 phones laying around and most
of us have the luxury of having just 1 paid off phone that we care for like
it was one of our kids. Listen times are changing so are cell phones and
plans, but the reality that some of us need to grasp is people don't change
like that. Our situations do and that's when we need to rethink and deal
with whatever may come your way. This is the deal and before you come back
with a generic company policy answer don't forget that "YOU ARE A PERSON
WITH FEELINGS" What this is all about isn't keeping up with the Jones's I'm
too far behind and limited in how I spend my money on something like that.
This is about a company for yrs I've put my support in and when I want to
unlock my paid for device whether it's one every yr or 10x a year why not?
It's not like I'm asking them to discount a phone for me. Yes times are
changing and companies are progressing but what they should realize as that
people like me and you with our support and loyalty made them what they are
today and to not let the mighty dollar blind them and make it tougher for
some of us to keep up. What I'm asking isn't unreasonable I just want the
device that I paid for to be unlocked. It's like buying a car and you want
to take out the stock radio to put in one that you find better and you have
to ask the dealership if they can unlock it so to speak so you can install
the new one and they say nope you must stay with us 6 months first even
though your car is paid off. You people are like yes men for att and hey to
each is their own but I'm the guy who one of many make it possible for att
to grow into what it is today and how do they thank us? By putting
restrictions on my property for their security or profits. You all make it
seem like I'm asking for a brand new device for half the cost. Either way
if they unlock my phone or some lone else unlocks it for me it's gonna get
done at my inconvenience and the only thing they may accomplish is possibly
losing a customer.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

That's what you are meant to believe. If I paid for a device for att from a
pvt seller and the device isn't altered in anyway and paid for and in let's
say in 30 days I wanted to try a different device and sell the one I
previously purchased to anyone who is looking for a phone who is not an att
customer. Why can't I sell it to them already unlocked? It's paid for in
full and I'd think maybe att would like that because it may premote some of
their own features when people see them first hand because we all know if
we purchase an unlocked phone the carriers logo that was made for that cell
phone company their exclusive applications or features are still on the
device
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.