For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
Biggsnake78's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, August 23rd, 2018 3:02 AM

Why do I have unlimited sponsored data and then get throttled by package data limit?

I want to get a straight answer from somebody. I have been a customer since 2000 with my first phone number and my current number has been active since 2004. I have Direct and Wireless bundled and use the Directv app to stream tv since it will be September 1st before my service can be installed at my new house. When I use all my package data I get reduced speeds(I understand this and do not have a problem with this) but my package says unlimited sponsored data and I can only assume that it is the Directv app using the sponsored data, as the usage of sponsored data and the usage counter for the app coincide. My question is when my package data hits the limit does it slow sponsored down as well and if so why? I've used 19 gigs so far this month of unlimited sponsored data and now it's so slow that me and the kids have no tv until the 1st. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Yes, once you hit your data limit, all data is slowed, regardless of whether or not it is sponsored data. Sponsored data simply means the data usage does not count against your data plan. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you, I've tried to get that answer from 3-4 different people in the customer service area and couldn't. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

And I’m going to refine that and possibly complicate the answer...

example if you have a capped plan with 20 gigs:   

You use 15 gigs of data on other apps and services, and your sponsored data alone is 10 gigs, but not counted against the 20 gigs.  So no slow down.   In fact if you keep other use under your cap, you can exceed your plan with sponsored data.

But...

If you use 10 gigs of sponsored data and hit your cap of 20 gigs of data on other apps and services, all data slows down and you cannot stream anymore.  

So staying under your cap or threshold means you can keep streaming sponsored.

My record is 32 gigs of sponsored data when my plan had 20 gigs plus 4 rollover.  We actually had 6 gigs rollover as we only used 14 on other apps.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.