Get the myAT&T app
jusjim's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, July 24th, 2014 1:43 PM

Why are Data Limits within Smart limits being retired?

While updating Smart Limits today, I noticed the following line:

As of September 5th, Data Limits is being retired. Please do not set a Data Limit.

No reason was given.  My first thought is that ATT is hoping I go over my limit and have to pay for more data.  Any information on ATT's reasoning or plans to replace this feature would be appreciated.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, as I thought, my children blew through the data this month. I never had a problem with it before because it stopped it from happening before it happened. What did AT&T have to say? "Well, you know you can upgrade your data plan from 20 GB to 30 GB now and it is cheaper than paying the overage charge." Thanks Captain Oblivious! The point was to not have to pay extra money ... period. I have already started the switch to "the other carrier with an actual data limit feature". With each device that reaches a point that I can sell the device and use the money to terminate the contract, I am moving them over one by one. Probably a little more expensive for about 4-6 months, but worth it in the end. The $150 bill credit for switching per device line will speed the process.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I think AT&T figured out in July 2014 that it got enough customers suckered in and there's no need for customer service anymore. With big enough customer base, it's not about satisfying customers anymore. It's now all about milking the last penny and giving the colossal bonus to the CEO.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Why in the world would you have taken off the ability to cap data usage on a multiple phone shared plan.  Under the Smart Limits plan you used to be able to cap each member with a data limit, now you have to cut people off.  This is a true regression in service capability.  It forces me to be a monitor and decide who is on and cut off of the data usage.  If I could set limits it would force users to self regulate and monitor their usage.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard.  Some bright person had the great idea to eliminate it so that more people would go over and so more revenue would be earned.  This shows no concern for customer satisfation at all.  The limits features was one of the things that led me to AT&T.  Need to re-think that decision.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I am sure that AT&T doesn't care because they know many are pigeon-holed into a contract and can't go anywhere.  I on the other hand did.  Four phones switched to Verizon so far and one to go.  The way I figure, you can do the Verizon Edge program (same as AT&T's NEXT) or a contract and pay $200 (going rate for iPhone 6 16 GB).  The cost of the phone is offset by selling the old AT&T device on eBay (going rate is about $240).  If you are at least half way through your contract, you are looking at about $200 to cancel.  Verizon offers $150 bill credit to change.  Comes out about even in the end!  

I hate to leave AT&T as I've been with them from the beginning and can't complain about about the actual wireless service, but hey, play games with your loyal customers (i.e., customer service) and they won't remain loyal.  That's the lesson.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Has anyone received a better response to this yet?

I had data turned off my son's phone for this reason.  Then I discovered it is why I can't use the AT&T family map.  The data needs to be on his particular phone for it to work.

I'm getting the screws by AT&T at every turn.  We got sucked into the "Next" plan which is supposed to be so fabulous.  It was a lesser of two evils, either of which increased our bill about $100 per month now (either we pay the "next" installments on a phone or lose our $25/line "discount" for doing the 2 year contract route).

I'm so annoyed.  Whenever it makes financial sense, I am moving to straight talk or something.  This is riduculous.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Sorry but this is the worse possible answer you can give to this problem.  You should atleast check what your talking about first.  A system that automatically shuts off data when it hits a certain limit versus having to constantly check your data and shut off your child, spouse, or yourself if need be is like saying an orange is red and square.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

If you don't have an Unlimited Data Plan the Data charges keep racking up at lightning speed. What the heck! AT&T has the ability to let families set AUTOMATIC monthly Smart Limits for each mobile line but chooses not to. That is the epitome of Corporate Greed. Part of the blame goes to Apple for hiding default settings that switch your data usage to 3G/4G if the WiFi signal is even a little bit off. We have to be tech detectives to figure out how to reset our Settings which are buried under obscure WiFi Assist options that most people would not know to switch from its’ current setting. Between the iOS Apple update - which defaults to 3G/4G when WiFi is weak - making Data Usage run up uncontrollably - and AT&T's refusal to revert back to AUTOMATIC monthly Smart Limits, users are spending WAAAAAAY more on mobile billing than necessary. SHAME ON BOTH COMPANIES!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I saw the video and and año it says is: to help yourself you can:

1) turn off data by device manually in eacj device
2) use more wi-fi
3) buy from us a plan with more data...

Ive studied these decisions within corporaciones. They actually come down to: "since we allowed psrents to limit their children's use of data we've lost X millions in revenue. We need to cancel that prerogative". The morality of capitalism brings good and evil.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

7 years ago

Yes
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.