For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
jusjim's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, July 24th, 2014 1:43 PM

Why are Data Limits within Smart limits being retired?

While updating Smart Limits today, I noticed the following line:

As of September 5th, Data Limits is being retired. Please do not set a Data Limit.

No reason was given.  My first thought is that ATT is hoping I go over my limit and have to pay for more data.  Any information on ATT's reasoning or plans to replace this feature would be appreciated.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

So I went to the Verizon site to compare parental features. The language itself says A LOT! AT&T advertises it to do just the minimum. It blocks calls and texts and limits phone use. It is very impersonal (ref https://www.smarlimitsforwireless.com/).

Verizon, on the other hand, is titled FamilyBase and is all about the Family and protecting children (familybase.vzw.com). Oh yeah, and it is only $5 PER ACCOUNT, not PER LINE and seems to manage DATA. On Demand blocking and pricing all seem to favor parents. Unless AT&T gets the act together soon, I know where I'm going for my upgrade.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

I spoke with an operator the other day AGAIN and told him that depending how they roll with this it will decide whether I move to another carrier (Verizon). I ended up with an $80 credit and a problem fixed that I'd been trying to resolve for a while. NO DATA LIMITS, NO CONTROL OVER MY ACCOUNTS AND I'M GONE. That's FOUR NATIONAL ACCOUNTS GONE TO VERIZON! They didn't really say much but there was a hint of concern (feigned or not, who knows).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I agree, they are using this to push the Share plans, which for us is a giant rip off. I am a LONG term AT&T customer, and they have lied to me several times about the share plan and affect on upgrades.

The inability to limit data on one of our users is a very big deal. Also, once the data is gone or off, you can no longer her FindMyPhone.  What a great system(sarcasm included).

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

So if we switch to the Family share plan, with 5 phones, do we also have to sign up for Next? Because, without Next, we're getting pretty cheap upgrades (we got the iPhone C this past upgrade for $50 each at Best Buy), paid upfront. I don't like the idea of having to choose a $200 phone and paying $30 or $50 dollars a month ON TOP OF the Family share plan rate of $275 a month. IT'S NOT A SAVINGS! And I don't care to upgrade every 12 or 18 months. 2 years is a long time, but it's worked so far for me. Unless they start to build phones a lot cheaper than they do now.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

That's what I first thought when I ran the numbers, that I would save money, but it doesn't work that way.  As an employee told me, the goal is not to save you money, just to separate the hardware cost out of the plan.  Next is A&T's monthly payment plan for hardware.  You can't do the cool $50 or $0 upgrades at other vendors because that required a two year plan, which isn't available on a family share plan.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

So then I don't really want the Family Share Plan if I don't have the capability of upgrading every 2 years and paying the "sale" price at Best Buy. If I opt to keep my account as it is, I wonder if that will still be an option down the road. I don't like to be "forced" to do anything. We should have more options. I've been a customer of AT&T's for over 8 years. Where's the perks for my loyalty? I also agree with previous comments about paying the $4.99 for the service of limiting data, that it wasn't offered for FREE. If we choose to pay for something, continue to offer it to us!!! Free would have been nice, but I'd settle for $4.99 a month. Why take that away??? I'm all for change (yes, sometime change sucks) but sometimes it's necessary. But we're all human, we're all in this together!! The bottom line is the little guy (the customers) get the shaft, while the corporate bigwigs drive their fancy cars and have vacation homes.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

So, just spoke with rep on the phone about my data usage. Wanted to know if it was up to date online. I have 3 phones I used Smart limits with to limit their data to 2.9gb to make sure they didn't go over their 3gb. She said yes it is up to date. I then went and walked down the street to until I could not access any wifi.  I know this because when I tried to access SAfari on my iphone it told me to turn my internet on in my settings before I could access safari. I then turned on my internet and started surfing the net. I went to a few different websites to make sure I was using enough data to show up. So I KNOW I have used data on my phone just 15 minutes ago.  It still has not shown up via online or *3282#. I then chatted with a rep. Here is the log:

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly. Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Jayson ****'

Jayson ****: Hi Debra, I will help you with your data inquiry today. I know how important it is to be on top of everything specially your usage so no worries.

Jayson ****: Data registry is based on a lot of factors, like the app that uses it, the phone submission service or simply the delay in collating all the usage for the day which is why sometimes you get data usage at 3am in the morning. It's the collective data usage for the day.

Debra ****: So if my child surfs the web all day at school, I will not know til the next day that he has gone over his usage?

Jayson ****: This being the case, the online data counter can be delayed. Our star services will be more accurate in relation to this, you can dial *DATA#(*3282#)

Debra ****: Since I have no way of limiting his usage now with the retiring of the data limit feature in Smart limits.

Debra ****: That method *3282# just now says I have not used any usage when I know I have.

Debra ****: So it's not up to date either

Jayson ****: The dialing method is real time, you have not used any data for line 2118 yet.

Jayson ****: If you are checking another line's usage, please use that number to dial the star services code and it will provide you with the information immediately.

Debra ****: I walked down the street til I could no longer access any wifi. I know this because when I tried to access SAfari on my iphone it told me to turn my internet on in my settings before I could access safari. I then turned on my internet and started surfing the net. I went to a few different websites to make sure I was using enough data to show up. So I KNOW I have used data on my phone just 15 minutes ago.

Debra ****: I'm not checking another line.

Jayson ****: I will make a report over to our technical team about this issue so rest assured your concerns will be heard and not taken for granted.

Debra ****: I am not happy about the removal of data limits on Smart limits. Please forward that info as well. Thank you.

Jayson ****: I will, and it has been reported multiple times as well so don't worry. I'm sure the technical team is working on a replacement.

Debra ****: Thank you

Jayson ****: Sure thing, I hope I was able to address today's inquiry. Is there anything else I can help you with besides this one?

Debra ****: That's it. Thank you

So, I hope they are "working" on a replacement for the Smart Limits - data limit feature. A Data BLOCK feature is not what is needed, though.  ATT needs to reinstate the Data LIMIT feature. Since neither the online website or *3282# is up to date.  It's just not right. I paid $15 extra a month for smart limits to limit the data on 3 phones. 

[Edited for privacy.]

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I have to say that AT&T is great at marketing, but bad promises made in great marketing will catch up to you at some point.  The NEXT pay plans generally come out to a wash with the plan discount, but only if you pay the longest term possible.  At the time, it sounded like a good plan and looked good on paper, then after they have switched people onto the new share plans, they start making changes that become less desirable and end up costing more in the end.  

While it may not meet the legal definition of bait and switch, that is essentially what is.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I too am outraged that data limits is being retired.  The "improvements" mean nothing.  For families with teens, this is ridiculous.  Moreover, smart limits has stopped working overall.  ATT is a mess.  I am moving to Verizon where they have "family base" and switching over to Android phones.  It is the only way I can get a grip on my kids cell phone use.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'll look at this Verizon option.  We transferred with phones fully owned and no contract.  Switch because att offered this data limit option which was VERY attractive to me so I didn't have to mess around with all the family accounts, monitoring, etc. and could allocate use among family members. Now will look to switch.  Also in communication with T-Mobile to see if they have plans to install towers in our area soon as they offer unlimited data options. 

Also I have a MAJOR issue about how this was handled with little to no warning.  They refunded the $4.99 I was charged and in the meantime family went over by $60 during our vacation when this was rolled out.  I consider this a customer relations catastrophe for att on my part. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.