Get the myAT&T app
jusjim's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, July 24th, 2014 1:43 PM

Why are Data Limits within Smart limits being retired?

While updating Smart Limits today, I noticed the following line:

As of September 5th, Data Limits is being retired. Please do not set a Data Limit.

No reason was given.  My first thought is that ATT is hoping I go over my limit and have to pay for more data.  Any information on ATT's reasoning or plans to replace this feature would be appreciated.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

If AT&T does not fix this probelm ASAP my family will be switching over to Verizon. They have FamilyBase. It lets you do the same thing Smart Limits use to... Honestly it might be worth canceling a few lines in over to avoid the overages. I know my account will have overages unless I check it every single day. This is a shameless attempt to squeaze every dime they can out of their customers.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

This sucks!

I had Smart Limits set to zero MB for my kids. This meant they had no access to data but were still able to send and receive multimedia messages.

Now that the Smart Limits data capability has retired, my kids are unable to send or receive multimedia messages. Data is now totally blocked...

Rumor on these forums is that a replacement Smart Limits Data function is coming on Sept 9th, so why the poor customer experience of killing a much needed capability four days before a replacement service is set to launch. Will this new service even provide the capabilties that the old service had?

Also, now that the Data Limits option in the Smart Limits web page says "the feature is no longer available" I appear to have no way to turn my kids data back on if and when I want to... (The "Turn data on/off" option in the main account says data is already enabled).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

It is Sept. 9 and still no updates to the Smart Limits service. Coincidentally Apple is having a major release today aswell and probably launching their new phone and operating system, there might be something in place that allows users to set limits directly on the device itself.  I'm not sure how that relates to Android and windows users but I figured it was worth mentioning. 

In any case, today is the day that we all have been told that a new solution would be reinstated so I would like the AT&T rep montitoring this thread to please provide us all with the details.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I am currently looking at my AT&T account online and there's nothing under Smart Limits about data, other than the service has been canceled as of today. What exactly does the update include? Where is the information on their website?? As far as I'm concerned, I need NONE of the options in Smart Limits so will be canceling that additional $4.99 a month fee. I'm afraid to even start a chat or call because the last time I spoke to a customer service representative he was not even in the loop about the changes coming.

Employee

• 

581 Messages

10 years ago

@wsarp65, @at.tangersme, @RoninGT, @mgbnet, @louisore

We are sorry for the confusion.  Although we are no longer offering the data limit feature, Smart Limits will soon offer the ability to turn off cellular data plus we'll be delivering many new benefits including improved web experiences, a new app experience, customizable alerts, and the ability to view call and text activities.

~Delia

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

When is this coming? The previous data mentioned on these forums was Sept 9th... Today...

Also, will this restore the previous functionality that is now broken: previously data limits did not affect the ability to send and receive picture messages. Now I am unable to send and receive picture messages at all.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for nothing AT&T!!

ATTDelia apparently solved the problem by telling everyone that "there are other options available to manage your data usage!"

Note that it effectively manages only "your" data usage. The point of SmartLimits is(was) to provide a valuable parental control. So now we have to go to each line and shut off the data when we figure out they are using too much. Does that do the same thing? Not quite because what they don't tell you is that you also have to get your child (or other user) to power cycle the device for it to take effect.

So now I can shut down the data but then I have to call/text my child to say "hey I shut off your data access, please restart your device so that you can't use data anymore". Again, thanks for nothing. The fact that this is hardly a big expense for AT&T to offer means they have to have some other reason for killing this feature.

And since they won't tell us what that reason is, we can only assume that they want to make it EASIER to go over the data limit.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Please tell us WHEN the ability to turn off cellular data will be available. I don't understand why the new package wasn't completely ready to be put in place when the old date limit ability was discontinued on September 5th. It is now the 9th and it was supposed to be in place.

I realize you are only monitoring this discussion and you are not the one making the decisions...but somehow the customers of AT&T should be provided with some ANSWERS!

"We are sorry for the confusion. Although we are no longer offering the data limit feature, Smart Limits will soon offer the ability to turn off cellular data plus we'll be delivering many new benefits including improved web experiences, a new app experience, customizable alerts, and the ability to view call and text activities.

~Delia"

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

So, this week school started and I am getting my two teen-agers back on the regimen of going to bed. For some reason when my son was supposed to be asleep he was surfing the web on ifunny, vine, all wide open!! "Huh, there is no way," I said. I have ATT Smart Limits and pay every month in addition to the plan, phone, taxes and fees to ATT. I have data turned off on their phones are secure,  using ATT smart limits. Even though ATT is charging me extra, their feature has my children's best interest in mind. 

Curious, I asked my son and he said, "Nope." I have data! I went in today 9-9-14 to verify and sure enough ATT without notifying me, "retired" the feature! In addition, they went ahead and charged me over $20 in additon to not notifying me for the extra data my son was using watching Youtube and crap on his phone. 

These so called other solutions ATT offers only benefit ATTs bottome line. There is no reason for me to choose this multiple family plan donkey feces when I am on a corporate UNLIMITED discount plan for my other two out of four phones. I would pay alot more to move over to these jacked plan.

At this point my only option is to go to Verizon or the other carriers who still offer to protect children. The other option is go back to a flip phone where the phone is the only intended feature. Way to progress ATT!! (SARCASM)

You better be thinking this one through a LOT more then having some wise guy/gal out of Yale or Harvard, who probably doesn't even have teen-agers, thinking s/he is going to play some Marketing campaign and move everyone over to this new Multiplicity-Jack-the-Family Plan and instead you end up losing your families to other carriers!

You need your own SMART limits if you think I am going to allow you to charge me and just be paying these overages every month!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

WELL SAID!!!!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.