Get the myAT&T app
jusjim's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, July 24th, 2014 1:43 PM

Why are Data Limits within Smart limits being retired?

While updating Smart Limits today, I noticed the following line:

As of September 5th, Data Limits is being retired. Please do not set a Data Limit.

No reason was given.  My first thought is that ATT is hoping I go over my limit and have to pay for more data.  Any information on ATT's reasoning or plans to replace this feature would be appreciated.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Really disgusted by this change AND the lack of communication from AT&T. I saw the notice by chance when looking at my Smart Limits account and when I called customer service was told that in the future data limits will have to be managed manually--despite the fact that it has been provided only with payment of an additional fee for the service until now. Obviously, AT&T can make more money by having teenagers constantly go over their data limits and then charge $15 for each GB of overage. Greed, once again, trumps genuine customer service. T-Mobile is looking better and better.

Employee

• 

581 Messages

10 years ago

Are you a Smart Limits customer concerned about the data limits feature being retired on 9/5/2014?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I'm also very upset about this. Like others here I have teenagers that I need to block in order to stay under my 10GB plan. It has worked great. 

I tweeted my complaint to @ATTCustomerCare as well and got this response

Smart Limits will soon offer new enhancements, including upgrades,& the ability to turn off cell data usage. Stay tuned! ^LisaA

The ablity to manually turn DATA usage OFF is not a valid option in my opinion. If they would give us a message that "number xxx-xxx-xxxx has just used 2GB of DATA" that would be ok, so I could then turn off the data usage, but i don't think they will do that. They want us going over our limits to get more money from us...........its the "we don't care about our customers" customer service model.

Employee

• 

581 Messages

10 years ago

Hey there!  Check out this post for details on the data limits being retired within Smart Limits as well as details on how to manage your data usage!

Retiring Data Limits feature of Smart Limits

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hey there! Yeah. No.

If one more AT&T rep tells me all about how all the OTHER features of Smart Limits are still available (I.e., all the ones I could literally not care less about) I think I will shriek.

Also, stop telling us we can still turn data off by line. Yes. We know. THAT is not the point. The point is, who the heck wants to spend their day constantly monitoring their AT&T account to see how close to the limit the teenagers on your account are at any given moment so you can quickly jump in and turn their data off so they don't go over, causing an additional (and exorbitant) fee.

Additionally, this is a service we've been PAYING for. It wasn't generously provided by the humanitarian folks at AT&T. We pay you money for this. We are willing to pay you money for this because of the convenience of the service.

Finally, the utter lack of communication is beyond ridiculous. We should have been told about this service change AGES ago. I've still never been officially informed. Had I not stumbled across the information and called customer service, I still wouldn't know. I suspect that September 5 would have arrived, the data limit service on my account would have expired and I'd never know until I got the bill with multiple $15 charges. I mean, how hard would it have been to inform your customers in a timely manner? You do have our numbers.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Why does it now say "solved" on this thread? Just because an AT&T rep gave a generic non informative response does not mean it's solved.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I've spent well over $8,000.00 as an AT&T customer ofer the past nearly 7 years of continued service for which I have had auto pay so not one late paymet ever.  I currently am on a grandfathered unlimited data package for which I received only EDGE data rate service for the first 2 years since that is all that was availble in the area.  So now we have LTE in the area and I don't have a device that will use this new speed but I still pay the same rate for data.  I love unlimited data plans since it is easy to budget on a fixed income.  

So I find no other option but to petitioning those bright folks over at Webster to update the definition of "Unlimited" to account for AT&T's limits they put on my data plan.  If you "limit" the throughput of data at 3gig that is still a limit no mater how you slice it but since the FCC does not work for the public we just have to put up with it or change providers.  Oh there is an idea to consider... I shall go consider that.  

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

So today is the day we all must begin to constantly monitor our phones so our teens don't go over the data limits. This is the worst thing AT&T could have done. Yes, we know we can turn it off. The data usage isn't always up to date so if while you are at work and they spend the day on FB or surfing the web at school cause they are bored, be prepared for the additional charges. Really, what was AT&T thinking? 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I spoke to a Customer Service Rep with AT&T 2 or 3 days ago, and was told a new Smart Limits package was being launched on September 9th. So we have 4 days to monitor, and then something new will be in place. The CSR couldn't tell me what it was, because they weren't even being told. At the beginning of our conversation, (and again, this was on September 2nd) he was trying to explain to me how to set the limits, and I said, "But this is ending on September 5th." and he had to look it up, because he wasn't sure about that. Come on, AT&T, be up front with your employees so they can actually perform GOOD customer service with your customers!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I am beyond infuriated with at&t!!!! I was told that even though smart limits was retiring on 9/5 that I could still disable my daughter's data when she was approaching her limit by using the at&t app on my phone or going to the website. After spending countless hours on the phone and chat with at&t I was just informed the only way you can disable data on a line is if you are on the new Mobile Share Plan. Well the new Mobile Share Plan is a complete ripoff as far as I am concerned and is not the best option for my family. I was told that the new smart limits will start on 9/9 and will have the option to disable data. But why the 4 day lag time between the retirement date and the new smart limits launch date????? So at&t can make more money by sticking us with overage fees. This is disgraceful.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.