Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 24, 2014
6:43:15 AM
View profile
Why are Data Limits within Smart limits being retired?

While updating Smart Limits today, I noticed the following line:

As of September 5th, Data Limits is being retired. Please do not set a Data Limit.

No reason was given.  My first thought is that ATT is hoping I go over my limit and have to pay for more data.  Any information on ATT's reasoning or plans to replace this feature would be appreciated.

While updating Smart Limits today, I noticed the following line:

As of September 5th, Data Limits is being retired. Please do not set a Data Limit.

No reason was given.  My first thought is that ATT is hoping I go over my limit and have to pay for more data.  Any information on ATT's reasoning or plans to replace this feature would be appreciated.

(4)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Aug 10, 2014 6:03:54 PM
(4)
Employee

Although the data limits feature is retiring on 9/5/14, there are other options available to you to manage your data usage!

Please check out the article Retiring data limits feature of Smart Limits for details as well as Ways to manage your wireless usage to help you through this transition.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Why are Data Limits within Smart limits being retired?

89 replies
(18) Me too
(18) Me too
View all replies
(89)
(3)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2014 9:28:01 AM
(3)
Tutor

I currently use Smart Limits to limit data for my kids but when I logged in to the Smart Limits admin page today I saw a notice that data limits are retiring on September 5th.

What is the replacement functionality for me to limit my kid's data consumption?

I know I can turn off data per line on my shared data plan, but that turns it off completely and also blocks picture messages.

How can I now limit data to a fixed number of MBs per month, or block data but still allow picture messaging?

I currently use Smart Limits to limit data for my kids but when I logged in to the Smart Limits admin page today I saw a notice that data limits are retiring on September 5th.

What is the replacement functionality for me to limit my kid's data consumption?

I know I can turn off data per line on my shared data plan, but that turns it off completely and also blocks picture messages.

How can I now limit data to a fixed number of MBs per month, or block data but still allow picture messaging?

Replacement for Smart Limits Data Limits

2 of 90 (15,007 Views)
(8)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2014 12:38:30 PM
(8)
Contributor

I'm not happy about this change.  Man Mad  Smart Limits is losing value for this customer.

I'm not happy about this change.  Man Mad  Smart Limits is losing value for this customer.

Re: Why are Data Limits within Smart limits being retired?

3 of 90 (16,336 Views)
(7)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2014 5:16:18 AM
(7)
Contributor

Without data limits, this is useless to me.  I'm thinking about moving us from AT&T as soon as our contract is up, and we have been AT&T customers for maaaaaaany years.

So, with Windows phones that have no way to see what is using data  (AT&T does not allow the Data Sense app), and no way to limit data usage (AT&T taking away data limits), does AT&T look a bit shady to anyone else?

Without data limits, this is useless to me.  I'm thinking about moving us from AT&T as soon as our contract is up, and we have been AT&T customers for maaaaaaany years.

So, with Windows phones that have no way to see what is using data  (AT&T does not allow the Data Sense app), and no way to limit data usage (AT&T taking away data limits), does AT&T look a bit shady to anyone else?

4 of 90 (16,253 Views)
(5)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2014 11:44:08 AM
(5)
Contributor

Thats a bummer. I resisted getting my daughter a smart phone but for HS graduation and her 18th birthday we got her an iphone, with the understanding that we would also have the smart limits, which we would be able to control the amount of data that was used.  Another reason was because she was using my wifes iphone and going over her data, which was costing us an extra $15 a month any way.  A couple months later and this "solution" is now no longer an option.  Looks like I will be getting rid of smart limits and might try and argue with ATT to break her new smart phone 2 year contract based on this change in the situation.  After all, there is no need pay an extra $15 a month for a smart phone when we can use an iTouch for free (an iphone when only used with wifi, is basically just an itouch).  This really is disturbing.

Thats a bummer. I resisted getting my daughter a smart phone but for HS graduation and her 18th birthday we got her an iphone, with the understanding that we would also have the smart limits, which we would be able to control the amount of data that was used.  Another reason was because she was using my wifes iphone and going over her data, which was costing us an extra $15 a month any way.  A couple months later and this "solution" is now no longer an option.  Looks like I will be getting rid of smart limits and might try and argue with ATT to break her new smart phone 2 year contract based on this change in the situation.  After all, there is no need pay an extra $15 a month for a smart phone when we can use an iTouch for free (an iphone when only used with wifi, is basically just an itouch).  This really is disturbing.

5 of 90 (16,209 Views)
(6)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2014 9:10:49 AM
(6)
Contributor

I recently changed to an all-family combined plan, specifically because I could limit the data use by my teens. This is an unwelcome change by AT&T.  

AT&T: Is there some other way that parents in a combined family plan can limit data use by their children, other than taking their children's phones away?

I recently changed to an all-family combined plan, specifically because I could limit the data use by my teens. This is an unwelcome change by AT&T.  

AT&T: Is there some other way that parents in a combined family plan can limit data use by their children, other than taking their children's phones away?

Re: Replacement for Smart Limits Data Limits

6 of 90 (14,914 Views)
(6)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2014 9:15:56 AM
(6)
Contributor

I too was concerned when I saw this. I use smart limits to auotmatically limit the amount of data each of my kids can consume on a monthly basis. 

I called AT&T customer service. They told me that the variable data limit feature is in fact going away. It will be replaced in the "new" Smart Limits with an ability to turn data on or off for each line in the account.

This means that we will MANUALLY need to monitor the data usage throughout the month, and turn off the data capability on the line when needed.

This makes "Smart Limits" a bit dumb, in my opinion, and also allows AT&T to rake in more money from us when we go over the purchased data package. 

I also asked if AT&T could turn off data for the entire family plan when the maximum purchased data package limit is reached - the answer, of course, was "no".

Here's a better option that I will be considering - for $5 per month for the ENTIRE family (not per line), Verizon has "FamilyBase" (https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/nos/safeguards/SafeguardProductDetails.action?productName=f... that does have the functionality that Smart Limits is eliminating. I am seriously considering moving to Verizon wireless as a result of this change to Smart Limits by AT&T!

Who is with me?

I too was concerned when I saw this. I use smart limits to auotmatically limit the amount of data each of my kids can consume on a monthly basis. 

I called AT&T customer service. They told me that the variable data limit feature is in fact going away. It will be replaced in the "new" Smart Limits with an ability to turn data on or off for each line in the account.

This means that we will MANUALLY need to monitor the data usage throughout the month, and turn off the data capability on the line when needed.

This makes "Smart Limits" a bit dumb, in my opinion, and also allows AT&T to rake in more money from us when we go over the purchased data package. 

I also asked if AT&T could turn off data for the entire family plan when the maximum purchased data package limit is reached - the answer, of course, was "no".

Here's a better option that I will be considering - for $5 per month for the ENTIRE family (not per line), Verizon has "FamilyBase" (https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/nos/safeguards/SafeguardProductDetails.action?productName=familybase) that does have the functionality that Smart Limits is eliminating. I am seriously considering moving to Verizon wireless as a result of this change to Smart Limits by AT&T!

Who is with me?

7 of 90 (15,833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2014 2:42:57 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by loganic on Jul 31, 2014 at 2:54:17 PM

Yeah, I've heard too that there will some new option, but not yet what it will be.

Maybe it'll be like that familybase.

I know the MobileShare a built in manual options, that allows you to disable data.

I'm sure we'll know more by the time 09/05/14 comes around

-Alex

Yeah, I've heard too that there will some new option, but not yet what it will be.

Maybe it'll be like that familybase.

I know the MobileShare a built in manual options, that allows you to disable data.

I'm sure we'll know more by the time 09/05/14 comes around

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
8 of 90 (15,802 Views)
(3)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2014 6:27:40 AM
(3)
Mentor
Edited by guzinta_00 on Aug 1, 2014 at 6:38:20 AM

We will have to see what ATT replaces it with on 9/5...  If I loose this functionality along with the lack of improved coverage in my area, I'm afraid I'll have to take a look at what the competition is pedaling these days...  oh bother.. Smiley Happy

We will have to see what ATT replaces it with on 9/5...  If I loose this functionality along with the lack of improved coverage in my area, I'm afraid I'll have to take a look at what the competition is pedaling these days...  oh bother.. Smiley Happy

Re: Replacement for Smart Limits Data Limits

[ Edited ]
9 of 90 (14,734 Views)
(4)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2014 9:43:47 AM
(4)
Tutor

This is not a complete solution. The current smart limits data limits implementation allows multimedia messages, visual voicemail, etc even when the data limit is set to 0 MB or when the limit has been reached.

Turning data off for the line totally turns off those features too!

It will also require me to monitor my account constantly if I wish to constain my kids to a fixed amount of data per month. That is not managable.

I really do not want to be forced in to switching carriers because of this.

This is not a complete solution. The current smart limits data limits implementation allows multimedia messages, visual voicemail, etc even when the data limit is set to 0 MB or when the limit has been reached.

Turning data off for the line totally turns off those features too!

It will also require me to monitor my account constantly if I wish to constain my kids to a fixed amount of data per month. That is not managable.

I really do not want to be forced in to switching carriers because of this.

10 of 90 (15,727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2014 1:11:46 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Aug 6, 2014 at 12:16:38 PM

So last week I went in to manage Smart Limits on one of my phones and discovered that the program is being retired. In a Live Chat, I learned that only the data limits part is--which, of course, is the only part I cared about. Another employee let me know that they're replacing it with a better program. 

But at this point I've neither seen nor heard indication of any such program. Does anyone know what's coming or whether we're getting the shaft? We just got talked into a shared data plan (two of my phones were unlimited), so I'm especially frustrated at the prospects.

I'm refraining from expressing the fullness of my feelings in hopes that they do introduce something good, but I'm skeptical. And we're only a month away from whatever change is coming.

So last week I went in to manage Smart Limits on one of my phones and discovered that the program is being retired. In a Live Chat, I learned that only the data limits part is--which, of course, is the only part I cared about. Another employee let me know that they're replacing it with a better program. 

But at this point I've neither seen nor heard indication of any such program. Does anyone know what's coming or whether we're getting the shaft? We just got talked into a shared data plan (two of my phones were unlimited), so I'm especially frustrated at the prospects.

I'm refraining from expressing the fullness of my feelings in hopes that they do introduce something good, but I'm skeptical. And we're only a month away from whatever change is coming.

Data Limits (a part of the Smart Limits) retires September 5

[ Edited ]
11 of 90 (15,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2014 2:29:54 PM
(0)
Employee

I did hear it's expect to come out a few days after the smart limits expires. Seems a shame that it's not perfectly aligned with the expiration.

With my luck, I'll have training about the new services 2 days after it comes out.

-Alex

I did hear it's expect to come out a few days after the smart limits expires. Seems a shame that it's not perfectly aligned with the expiration.

With my luck, I'll have training about the new services 2 days after it comes out.

-Alex

Re: Smart Limits retires September 5

12 of 90 (15,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2014 3:01:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

It is a shame that they didn't fill y'all in. The first tech I spoke with was very polite and empathetic, but was clearly in possession of less information than the other--and even he lacked specifics. And I can find absolutely nothing on the site--other than a warning to not set any limits, because the feature is expiring.

It is a shame that they didn't fill y'all in. The first tech I spoke with was very polite and empathetic, but was clearly in possession of less information than the other--and even he lacked specifics. And I can find absolutely nothing on the site--other than a warning to not set any limits, because the feature is expiring.

Re: Smart Limits retires September 5

13 of 90 (15,308 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2014 8:02:46 PM
(1)
Contributor

It would be good customer relations for ATT to let us know what's going on ahead of time instead of us having to find out by chance about the "data limits" retiring, but I'll still stay with ATT because, overall, I think its better than Verizon.

It would be good customer relations for ATT to let us know what's going on ahead of time instead of us having to find out by chance about the "data limits" retiring, but I'll still stay with ATT because, overall, I think its better than Verizon.

14 of 90 (15,416 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 10:16:00 AM
(1)
Contributor

Yes -- I HATE this change to Smart Limits and will be opting out of it immediately.  

We are on a family plan with a couple lines with unlimited data usage @ $30/mo and one for my son with 3GB/mo.  There is no way I want to switch to the mobile share plan which is what the ATT rep suggested as a way to be able to turn off data services on a per line basis with the ATT app.  Instead I'm now going to be forced to call in to ATT to do this whenever data overages becomes an issue.

Come on ATT -- offering the ability to specify a data plan that does NOT allow overages should have been offered from day one!!

Yes -- I HATE this change to Smart Limits and will be opting out of it immediately.  

We are on a family plan with a couple lines with unlimited data usage @ $30/mo and one for my son with 3GB/mo.  There is no way I want to switch to the mobile share plan which is what the ATT rep suggested as a way to be able to turn off data services on a per line basis with the ATT app.  Instead I'm now going to be forced to call in to ATT to do this whenever data overages becomes an issue.

Come on ATT -- offering the ability to specify a data plan that does NOT allow overages should have been offered from day one!!

15 of 90 (15,346 Views)
(3)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 11:50:35 AM
(3)
Contributor

I think AT&T is trying to pressure customers into joining their family value plan, or else risk data overages, which can be astronomical! We also have a teen and we've used smart limits to limit her data usage. I was told over AT&T chat that if we want to stop her from using data we have to physically bring her iphone into the AT&T store and they have to turn her data OFF. They said we can't turn it off or on ourselves. That is not an acceptible solution! She runs out of data every month and she has 3 GB to use. We have also been customers for many years and this is really upsetting. They suggested we change plans to the value plan for the family - I'm not going to change plans. They did say that AT&T is upgrading the smart limits plan, and the upgrade does not include a data limit but they are working on something else, they just don't have it done yet. I would like to hear something official from AT&T about a possible solution replacement to losing this feature.

I think AT&T is trying to pressure customers into joining their family value plan, or else risk data overages, which can be astronomical! We also have a teen and we've used smart limits to limit her data usage. I was told over AT&T chat that if we want to stop her from using data we have to physically bring her iphone into the AT&T store and they have to turn her data OFF. They said we can't turn it off or on ourselves. That is not an acceptible solution! She runs out of data every month and she has 3 GB to use. We have also been customers for many years and this is really upsetting. They suggested we change plans to the value plan for the family - I'm not going to change plans. They did say that AT&T is upgrading the smart limits plan, and the upgrade does not include a data limit but they are working on something else, they just don't have it done yet. I would like to hear something official from AT&T about a possible solution replacement to losing this feature.

16 of 90 (15,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 1:47:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

Don't rejoin or upgrade until you her all the details. See "trapped" in the blog

Don't rejoin or upgrade until you her all the details. See "trapped" in the blog

17 of 90 (15,219 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 3:37:51 PM
(2)
Contributor
I for one will be cancelling and changing our service to a different company. We had been very happy with AT&T for the first 8 years of service. The last year has been a different story. Seems like they keep making these changes sound like they are a good deal for "the people" just to turn around and stick it to you in another way. The only reason they are retiring this is to make us have to pay more money each month. Even if you try and control the data yourself, it will not work. I tried that before getting smart limits for my daughters phone. It is NOT completely accurate on how much data has been used. I also tried going off the 95% used text message, and would turn it off as soon as the text came thru. Still was being charged. When I called AT&T the lady said that it is a little behind so by the time I stopped it, she had already gone over with push notifications and or emails. Also, once you turn off the data manually, you can not receive picture messages either. Its getting ridiculous.
I for one will be cancelling and changing our service to a different company. We had been very happy with AT&T for the first 8 years of service. The last year has been a different story. Seems like they keep making these changes sound like they are a good deal for "the people" just to turn around and stick it to you in another way. The only reason they are retiring this is to make us have to pay more money each month. Even if you try and control the data yourself, it will not work. I tried that before getting smart limits for my daughters phone. It is NOT completely accurate on how much data has been used. I also tried going off the 95% used text message, and would turn it off as soon as the text came thru. Still was being charged. When I called AT&T the lady said that it is a little behind so by the time I stopped it, she had already gone over with push notifications and or emails. Also, once you turn off the data manually, you can not receive picture messages either. Its getting ridiculous.

I for one will be cancelling and changing our service to...

18 of 90 (15,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 3:45:16 PM
(0)
Contributor
Also, we have the family value plan. It isn't any better when it comes to overages. It just means we all share the 15GB and so if one of us use 5GB, the rest of the family only gets 2.5GB. All it takes is for one memeber to go over their 2.5 and we get charged $15 per GB. Without being able to control your teens usage, you still have the same problem.
Also, we have the family value plan. It isn't any better when it comes to overages. It just means we all share the 15GB and so if one of us use 5GB, the rest of the family only gets 2.5GB. All it takes is for one memeber to go over their 2.5 and we get charged $15 per GB. Without being able to control your teens usage, you still have the same problem.

Also, we have the family value plan. It isn't any better...

19 of 90 (15,136 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 4:41:36 PM
(2)
Contributor

How dumb is it for a communications company as large as AT&T to discontinue a program WITHOUT saying what the NEW program is? OBVIOUSLY they have a plan to replace the current program with something, but what it is they're not saying. All I can glean from the announcement is that once the current program is ended, you'll have all the same features as before but apparently no control over data usage. Sounds like it's purely an attempt by AT&T to make you unaware of exactly how much data is being used (because their data on usage is NEVER "exact") and hope that you'll miss any overage (that way they can just charge you for an extra GB of data at their whim). I've been with AT&T/Cingular and their predecessors since the first Motorola 'flip phone' (i.e. a brick!)....I will find a better deal elsewhere and they can eat the $300+ a month that I pay for 4 lines. Verizon is looking better all the time.

How dumb is it for a communications company as large as AT&T to discontinue a program WITHOUT saying what the NEW program is? OBVIOUSLY they have a plan to replace the current program with something, but what it is they're not saying. All I can glean from the announcement is that once the current program is ended, you'll have all the same features as before but apparently no control over data usage. Sounds like it's purely an attempt by AT&T to make you unaware of exactly how much data is being used (because their data on usage is NEVER "exact") and hope that you'll miss any overage (that way they can just charge you for an extra GB of data at their whim). I've been with AT&T/Cingular and their predecessors since the first Motorola 'flip phone' (i.e. a brick!)....I will find a better deal elsewhere and they can eat the $300+ a month that I pay for 4 lines. Verizon is looking better all the time.

20 of 90 (15,101 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 5:26:45 PM
(2)
Contributor
We r a family of 6..we have a teenage daughter who uses our shared data..but she doesnt share..she uses it all..so we pay 4.99 for the shared limits amd its great..after 3 gigs she is cut off from mobile shared data...perfect huh?? I just got an email and att is stopping the data usage...WHY..finally we have something that works and att is stopping it...i dont understand..and yes i could monitor her and shut her off using my.att..i know..but why get rid of something that is working for alot of familys with teenagers
We r a family of 6..we have a teenage daughter who uses our shared data..but she doesnt share..she uses it all..so we pay 4.99 for the shared limits amd its great..after 3 gigs she is cut off from mobile shared data...perfect huh?? I just got an email and att is stopping the data usage...WHY..finally we have something that works and att is stopping it...i dont understand..and yes i could monitor her and shut her off using my.att..i know..but why get rid of something that is working for alot of familys with teenagers

no smart limits...what???

21 of 90 (14,583 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 5:45:54 PM
(1)
Contributor
How is AT&T supposed to collect extra data dollars if you manage your accounts so you don't exceed your monthly limit?!?! I'm sure the $160+/month they get from us is just not enough…
How is AT&T supposed to collect extra data dollars if you manage your accounts so you don't exceed your monthly limit?!?! I'm sure the $160+/month they get from us is just not enough…

Re: no smart limits...what???

22 of 90 (14,568 Views)
(3)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 5:48:13 PM
(3)
Tutor

I am very upset that the changes were made for the Smart Limits plan.  I have four phones on our plan and one of them is for our son.  We limited the data so he could still text pictures to his dad from Idaho (shared custody thing) and only allowed certain numbers to be called.  It was great because then we felt better about having a cell phone for a ten year old.  Now I had to have the data completely shut off to prevent him from over-using it and he cannot send picture texts either!!!  Sure he can call unlimited and text but no picture texts which is important to both of them.  Then the kicker is that I am still going to be charged $4.99 a month for that???!!!  I am livid over this.  I called and had a rep's supervisor tell me "oh we are coming out with a new thing that will be better soon..."  yeah right, if that were true why not just convert it over instead of screwing the customer?  I am glad I am not in a contract because I am close to switching if this doesnt get fixed.

I am very upset that the changes were made for the Smart Limits plan.  I have four phones on our plan and one of them is for our son.  We limited the data so he could still text pictures to his dad from Idaho (shared custody thing) and only allowed certain numbers to be called.  It was great because then we felt better about having a cell phone for a ten year old.  Now I had to have the data completely shut off to prevent him from over-using it and he cannot send picture texts either!!!  Sure he can call unlimited and text but no picture texts which is important to both of them.  Then the kicker is that I am still going to be charged $4.99 a month for that???!!!  I am livid over this.  I called and had a rep's supervisor tell me "oh we are coming out with a new thing that will be better soon..."  yeah right, if that were true why not just convert it over instead of screwing the customer?  I am glad I am not in a contract because I am close to switching if this doesnt get fixed.

Changes in Smart Limits Plan are AWFUL

23 of 90 (14,544 Views)
(3)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 5:49:35 PM
(3)
Tutor

I just posted something on this too.  I am livid over it and they still are going to charge the $4.99 a month too???!!!  how is it smart limits when you cant limit anything?  I wonder if we can call the FCC and report this?  SOOOO MAD.

I just posted something on this too.  I am livid over it and they still are going to charge the $4.99 a month too???!!!  how is it smart limits when you cant limit anything?  I wonder if we can call the FCC and report this?  SOOOO MAD.

24 of 90 (14,566 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 5:52:40 PM
(2)
Tutor

you are mistaken on one aspect of your post.  You cannot change the data limits each month when it resets, you flat cant restrict data or limit data AT ALL when the change takes effect.  I just got off the phone with them and i am SO MAD.  and they still are going to charge the $4.99 a month too....

you are mistaken on one aspect of your post.  You cannot change the data limits each month when it resets, you flat cant restrict data or limit data AT ALL when the change takes effect.  I just got off the phone with them and i am SO MAD.  and they still are going to charge the $4.99 a month too....

25 of 90 (15,077 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2014 5:58:20 PM
(1)
Contributor
Actually, my email said they would stop charging as of Sept. 5, end of current billing period.
With one phone beyond contract, and another in less than 2 months, I may look around at other carriers since I plan to buy two iPhones this fall. Or maybe I will see what prepaid phones provide.
Actually, my email said they would stop charging as of Sept. 5, end of current billing period.
With one phone beyond contract, and another in less than 2 months, I may look around at other carriers since I plan to buy two iPhones this fall. Or maybe I will see what prepaid phones provide.

26 of 90 (14,563 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2014 6:21:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

This is the email I received today.  I am NOT happy about this at all.  My son has an iPhone and it CONSUMES DATA like it's starving.  He has a 3GB plan and used it all within 10 days.  I just signed up for Smart Limits 2 weeks ago to control the data overage charges (last month was $50 over) and was not told at that time that the data portion would be discontinued.  I initiated a chat and was completely given the run-around, with no straight answers until 45 minutes into the chat, and even then was told the Smart Limits plan was being IMPROVED.  This is not an improvement.  The data limits feature was the only feature I needed, and now it will be GONE.

Can someone tell me if the iPhone will work fine with wifi only?  I understand he won't be able to use iMessage but what else will he be unable to use?  We have wifi at home and he has it at school.  

"On September 5, our AT&T Smart Limits service is changing, and the data limits feature is being removed. As a courtesy, we will add a $4.99 account credit by your October bill.

Any data limits you've set will be removed, and you'll no longer be able to set new limits. If you've set your data limit to 0 to block cellular data use, we'll continue to block cellular data use1 for you when we remove the data limits feature until you tell us to turn it back on. If you have a Mobile Share® Value plan, you also have the option to manage cellular data use for your devices at att.com/myatt.

All of the other benefits and conveniences you enjoy today with Smart Limits remain the same:

Block up to 30 numbers for unwanted calls and texts, including 411
Manage your texts and mobile purchase allowances that are billed to your AT&T account
Limit SMS, outbound calling and cellular data use during specific times of the day

Smart Limits will soon feature improved Web and app experiences, allow you to view call and text activity and customize alerts among other exciting new features.

To manage your existing settings, simply login to Smart Limits at att.com/myatt.

Thank you for choosing AT&T."

This is the email I received today.  I am NOT happy about this at all.  My son has an iPhone and it CONSUMES DATA like it's starving.  He has a 3GB plan and used it all within 10 days.  I just signed up for Smart Limits 2 weeks ago to control the data overage charges (last month was $50 over) and was not told at that time that the data portion would be discontinued.  I initiated a chat and was completely given the run-around, with no straight answers until 45 minutes into the chat, and even then was told the Smart Limits plan was being IMPROVED.  This is not an improvement.  The data limits feature was the only feature I needed, and now it will be GONE.

Can someone tell me if the iPhone will work fine with wifi only?  I understand he won't be able to use iMessage but what else will he be unable to use?  We have wifi at home and he has it at school.  

"On September 5, our AT&T Smart Limits service is changing, and the data limits feature is being removed. As a courtesy, we will add a $4.99 account credit by your October bill.

Any data limits you've set will be removed, and you'll no longer be able to set new limits. If you've set your data limit to 0 to block cellular data use, we'll continue to block cellular data use1 for you when we remove the data limits feature until you tell us to turn it back on. If you have a Mobile Share® Value plan, you also have the option to manage cellular data use for your devices at att.com/myatt.

All of the other benefits and conveniences you enjoy today with Smart Limits remain the same:

Block up to 30 numbers for unwanted calls and texts, including 411
Manage your texts and mobile purchase allowances that are billed to your AT&T account
Limit SMS, outbound calling and cellular data use during specific times of the day

Smart Limits will soon feature improved Web and app experiences, allow you to view call and text activity and customize alerts among other exciting new features.

To manage your existing settings, simply login to Smart Limits at att.com/myatt.

Thank you for choosing AT&T."

Re: Data Limits (a part of the Smart Limits) retires September 5

27 of 90 (14,970 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2014 9:11:12 PM
(1)
Contributor

I agree just a marketing ploy for new Family Value Plan and to try to generate more overusage fees. If ATT does not rethink retiring the data limits feature to Smart Limits we will be changing to Verizon.

I agree just a marketing ploy for new Family Value Plan and to try to generate more overusage fees. If ATT does not rethink retiring the data limits feature to Smart Limits we will be changing to Verizon.

28 of 90 (14,856 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2014 3:29:15 PM
(1)
Contributor
I'm so angry about this too! I had the truly unlimited data that I was reluctant to give up for our shared mobile plan. Just last month I switched with the caveat that I could keep my teenagers from using up all that data thru smart limits. I feel deceived. Why would they do this???
I'm so angry about this too! I had the truly unlimited data that I was reluctant to give up for our shared mobile plan. Just last month I switched with the caveat that I could keep my teenagers from using up all that data thru smart limits. I feel deceived. Why would they do this???

I'm so angry about this too! I had the truly unlimited da...

29 of 90 (14,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2014 3:08:04 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Plasbot on Aug 9, 2014 at 3:09:45 PM

To the Windows phone user up there, Depending on your phone It may be possible for you to update to Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview.  I was worried at first but it's not just for 'developers'.  I'm so glad now that I've done it and Data Sense is there!

However I am still screwed because my kid's lines, 1 is android the other iphone. 

To the Windows phone user up there, Depending on your phone It may be possible for you to update to Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview.  I was worried at first but it's not just for 'developers'.  I'm so glad now that I've done it and Data Sense is there!

However I am still screwed because my kid's lines, 1 is android the other iphone. 

[ Edited ]
30 of 90 (14,717 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments