Get the myAT&T app
jusjim's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, July 24th, 2014 1:43 PM

Why are Data Limits within Smart limits being retired?

While updating Smart Limits today, I noticed the following line:

As of September 5th, Data Limits is being retired. Please do not set a Data Limit.

No reason was given.  My first thought is that ATT is hoping I go over my limit and have to pay for more data.  Any information on ATT's reasoning or plans to replace this feature would be appreciated.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

We r a family of 6..we have a teenage daughter who uses our shared data..but she doesnt share..she uses it all..so we pay 4.99 for the shared limits amd its great..after 3 gigs she is cut off from mobile shared data...perfect huh?? I just got an email and att is stopping the data usage...WHY..finally we have something that works and att is stopping it...i dont understand..and yes i could monitor her and shut her off using my.att..i know..but why get rid of something that is working for alot of familys with teenagers

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

How is AT&T supposed to collect extra data dollars if you manage your accounts so you don't exceed your monthly limit?!?! I'm sure the $160+/month they get from us is just not enough…

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I am very upset that the changes were made for the Smart Limits plan.  I have four phones on our plan and one of them is for our son.  We limited the data so he could still text pictures to his dad from Idaho (shared custody thing) and only allowed certain numbers to be called.  It was great because then we felt better about having a cell phone for a ten year old.  Now I had to have the data completely shut off to prevent him from over-using it and he cannot send picture texts either!!!  Sure he can call unlimited and text but no picture texts which is important to both of them.  Then the kicker is that I am still going to be charged $4.99 a month for that???!!!  I am livid over this.  I called and had a rep's supervisor tell me "oh we are coming out with a new thing that will be better soon..."  yeah right, if that were true why not just convert it over instead of screwing the customer?  I am glad I am not in a contract because I am close to switching if this doesnt get fixed.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I just posted something on this too.  I am livid over it and they still are going to charge the $4.99 a month too???!!!  how is it smart limits when you cant limit anything?  I wonder if we can call the FCC and report this?  SOOOO MAD.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

you are mistaken on one aspect of your post.  You cannot change the data limits each month when it resets, you flat cant restrict data or limit data AT ALL when the change takes effect.  I just got off the phone with them and i am SO MAD.  and they still are going to charge the $4.99 a month too....

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Actually, my email said they would stop charging as of Sept. 5, end of current billing period.
With one phone beyond contract, and another in less than 2 months, I may look around at other carriers since I plan to buy two iPhones this fall. Or maybe I will see what prepaid phones provide.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

This is the email I received today.  I am NOT happy about this at all.  My son has an iPhone and it CONSUMES DATA like it's starving.  He has a 3GB plan and used it all within 10 days.  I just signed up for Smart Limits 2 weeks ago to control the data overage charges (last month was $50 over) and was not told at that time that the data portion would be discontinued.  I initiated a chat and was completely given the run-around, with no straight answers until 45 minutes into the chat, and even then was told the Smart Limits plan was being IMPROVED.  This is not an improvement.  The data limits feature was the only feature I needed, and now it will be GONE.

Can someone tell me if the iPhone will work fine with wifi only?  I understand he won't be able to use iMessage but what else will he be unable to use?  We have wifi at home and he has it at school.  

"On September 5, our AT&T Smart Limits service is changing, and the data limits feature is being removed. As a courtesy, we will add a $4.99 account credit by your October bill.

Any data limits you've set will be removed, and you'll no longer be able to set new limits. If you've set your data limit to 0 to block cellular data use, we'll continue to block cellular data use1 for you when we remove the data limits feature until you tell us to turn it back on. If you have a Mobile Share® Value plan, you also have the option to manage cellular data use for your devices at att.com/myatt.

All of the other benefits and conveniences you enjoy today with Smart Limits remain the same:

Block up to 30 numbers for unwanted calls and texts, including 411
Manage your texts and mobile purchase allowances that are billed to your AT&T account
Limit SMS, outbound calling and cellular data use during specific times of the day

Smart Limits will soon feature improved Web and app experiences, allow you to view call and text activity and customize alerts among other exciting new features.

To manage your existing settings, simply login to Smart Limits at att.com/myatt.

Thank you for choosing AT&T."

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I agree just a marketing ploy for new Family Value Plan and to try to generate more overusage fees. If ATT does not rethink retiring the data limits feature to Smart Limits we will be changing to Verizon.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm so angry about this too! I had the truly unlimited data that I was reluctant to give up for our shared mobile plan. Just last month I switched with the caveat that I could keep my teenagers from using up all that data thru smart limits. I feel deceived. Why would they do this???

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

To the Windows phone user up there, Depending on your phone It may be possible for you to update to Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview.  I was worried at first but it's not just for 'developers'.  I'm so glad now that I've done it and Data Sense is there!

However I am still screwed because my kid's lines, 1 is android the other iphone. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.