Get the myAT&T app
jusjim's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, July 24th, 2014 1:43 PM

Why are Data Limits within Smart limits being retired?

While updating Smart Limits today, I noticed the following line:

As of September 5th, Data Limits is being retired. Please do not set a Data Limit.

No reason was given.  My first thought is that ATT is hoping I go over my limit and have to pay for more data.  Any information on ATT's reasoning or plans to replace this feature would be appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

581 Messages

10 years ago

Although the data limits feature is retiring on 9/5/14, there are other options available to you to manage your data usage!

Please check out the article Retiring data limits feature of Smart Limits for details as well as Ways to manage your wireless usage to help you through this transition.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I currently use Smart Limits to limit data for my kids but when I logged in to the Smart Limits admin page today I saw a notice that data limits are retiring on September 5th.

What is the replacement functionality for me to limit my kid's data consumption?

I know I can turn off data per line on my shared data plan, but that turns it off completely and also blocks picture messages.

How can I now limit data to a fixed number of MBs per month, or block data but still allow picture messaging?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm not happy about this change.  Man Mad  Smart Limits is losing value for this customer.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Without data limits, this is useless to me.  I'm thinking about moving us from AT&T as soon as our contract is up, and we have been AT&T customers for maaaaaaany years.

So, with Windows phones that have no way to see what is using data  (AT&T does not allow the Data Sense app), and no way to limit data usage (AT&T taking away data limits), does AT&T look a bit shady to anyone else?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Thats a bummer. I resisted getting my daughter a smart phone but for HS graduation and her 18th birthday we got her an iphone, with the understanding that we would also have the smart limits, which we would be able to control the amount of data that was used.  Another reason was because she was using my wifes iphone and going over her data, which was costing us an extra $15 a month any way.  A couple months later and this "solution" is now no longer an option.  Looks like I will be getting rid of smart limits and might try and argue with ATT to break her new smart phone 2 year contract based on this change in the situation.  After all, there is no need pay an extra $15 a month for a smart phone when we can use an iTouch for free (an iphone when only used with wifi, is basically just an itouch).  This really is disturbing.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I recently changed to an all-family combined plan, specifically because I could limit the data use by my teens. This is an unwelcome change by AT&T.  

AT&T: Is there some other way that parents in a combined family plan can limit data use by their children, other than taking their children's phones away?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I too was concerned when I saw this. I use smart limits to auotmatically limit the amount of data each of my kids can consume on a monthly basis. 

I called AT&T customer service. They told me that the variable data limit feature is in fact going away. It will be replaced in the "new" Smart Limits with an ability to turn data on or off for each line in the account.

This means that we will MANUALLY need to monitor the data usage throughout the month, and turn off the data capability on the line when needed.

This makes "Smart Limits" a bit dumb, in my opinion, and also allows AT&T to rake in more money from us when we go over the purchased data package. 

I also asked if AT&T could turn off data for the entire family plan when the maximum purchased data package limit is reached - the answer, of course, was "no".

Here's a better option that I will be considering - for $5 per month for the ENTIRE family (not per line), Verizon has "FamilyBase" (https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/nos/safeguards/SafeguardProductDetails.action?productName=familybase) that does have the functionality that Smart Limits is eliminating. I am seriously considering moving to Verizon wireless as a result of this change to Smart Limits by AT&T!

Who is with me?

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah, I've heard too that there will some new option, but not yet what it will be.

Maybe it'll be like that familybase.

I know the MobileShare a built in manual options, that allows you to disable data.

I'm sure we'll know more by the time 09/05/14 comes around

-Alex

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

10 years ago

We will have to see what ATT replaces it with on 9/5...  If I loose this functionality along with the lack of improved coverage in my area, I'm afraid I'll have to take a look at what the competition is pedaling these days...  oh bother.. 🙂

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

This is not a complete solution. The current smart limits data limits implementation allows multimedia messages, visual voicemail, etc even when the data limit is set to 0 MB or when the limit has been reached.

Turning data off for the line totally turns off those features too!

It will also require me to monitor my account constantly if I wish to constain my kids to a fixed amount of data per month. That is not managable.

I really do not want to be forced in to switching carriers because of this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.