Get the myAT&T app
mdmobileuser's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, September 14th, 2014 2:31 PM

Why are Data Limits within Smart limits being retired and when will they be reinstated?

We like AT&T because of smart limits.  Having a teenage daughter smart limits gaves us the ability to manage the account and avoid data overages.

Why has data limits been retired?  When exactly will a replacement come out?  Why is there a gap in coverage with this feature?

I look forward to your response.

Unhappy Maryland Mobile user....

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

No response?

Former Employee

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Mdmobileuser,

I understand that managing data is super important. The smartlimits feature was retired due to a number changes at AT&T. The first reason was that the Smartlimits data restriction did not take into account streaming of videos and music. This would cause people to go over because if the limit was hit during a stream of a video or music, the video or music would continue to stream causing the smart limits to be overridden and overages to happen. This is currently being addressed with the smart limits but so far as an employee myself I have not heard when this will be fixed which is why it was removed. The second reason it was removed was because the Myatt application allows Mobile share value users to be able to put on temporary data blocks on any line without suspending the phone compeltely. This means that the phone can still send and recieve text messages and phone calls but can not use the internet unless it is on wifi. Finally, there is a free application in the app store know as the "My Data Manager" Application that is avaliable for free on the App store that allows users to get notifications of how much data each app is using and at what time. Also it allows for users to send alerts for when they are about to go over there data usage.

Hope this helps

( ^W^)/

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Smart limits worked great for us. Never was there an issue. When a kid hit their limit they were automatically throttled. Now the 'solution' is to login to my account and check on their usage and when it's too high then to throttle it manually. Explain to me how this even comes close to the ease and convenience of Smart Limits?

I was reluctanct to move the the Shared Family plan but was convinced when told that my Smart Limits would ensure the kids only used their current allocation. No way I was switching otherwise. Quite the bait and switch. I see no option but to cancel and move to a carrier that is less deceptive. Vague promises don't really assure me at all.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This answer doesn't solve the problem for so many of your customers that have teenage and adolescent children that are on Family share plans.  We need to have the data limits feature.  In our case my wife and I gave up two unlimited data plans to move to the share family plan when our daughter was old enough to have a phone, but only because of the Smart limits (data limitation feature was KEY!!!).  This is a real bait and switch.  You guys are hopefully smart enough technically to solve the problem on your side and deliver this service to your customers.  Otherwise, you are back to acting just like AT&T of old when you were a full fledged Monopoly!  Very upset.....now investigating Verizon who have a FamilyBase featue that includes data limits.....arghhhhh.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.