Get the myAT&T app
swsmith's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, March 3rd, 2016 2:46 PM

What is it that triggers AT&T's "SmartPhone* data plan requirement?

I am a happy AT&T customer with the *cheapest* of cheap plans: strictly pay by the minute as I go.  There are simply no data in the plan.  My wife has the same plan on an older "flip phone" with a display roughly the size of a postage stamp; however, it will (sort of) access the web.  There is an email application on the phone; however, this always returns "Communication Error #20" which I attribute to not having any data.

Is it possible to activate the email application for text only?  The phone's plan obviously has a rudimentary data stream.  Possibly I haven't configured the server?  (We have att.net email and the phone is a Z222)

I'm not trying to use data for free and I won't be able to receive attachments... can I receive plain text email?

SWS

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

It does not matter whether you download attachments or not. To get email, you need a data connection which in turn means you need a data plan. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

If you have a pay per use plan, you would have to add a data package, or activate it on the account as it may be blocked to prevent charges.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Texts don't need a data plan as they use cellular service. Email does use data. Sounds like your plan   would be a charge for each text you send. That is how the older plans worked.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Oh, well... you can usually find a wireless *somewhere* and, if you can't, you probably don't have a cell tower, either.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.