Get the myAT&T app
Bergs1019's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 6:38 PM

Closed

Using your iphone internationally

Im going on vacation next week. I don't have any kind of international plan on my iphone and I know I will be charged an insane amount of money for using my phone/internet. But I still want to use my ipod and other applications. Should I just leave my iphone on airport mode during my vacation? Does it need to be turned off the whole trip completely? (Id be VERY annoyed if this was the scenario) Or can I leave my network on and just not hit the internet/phone/text? Do you get charged extra internationally for texts?

Thanks!
M

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

15 years ago

@Bergs1019 wrote:
Im going on vacation next week. I don't have any kind of international plan on my iphone and I know I will be charged an insane amount of money for using my phone/internet. But I still want to use my ipod and other applications. Should I just leave my iphone on airport mode during my vacation? Does it need to be turned off the whole trip completely? (Id be VERY annoyed if this was the scenario) Or can I leave my network on and just not hit the internet/phone/text? Do you get charged extra internationally for texts?

Thanks!
M

Data can get expesive.  If you don't need the phone portion, set your iPhone to airplane mode then turn on wifi.  Make sure you have the 3g roaming option set to off. Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming. 

The reason you cannot leave your network on and not hit the internet/phone/text is that the iPhone is very data centric and will access the network even when you think it is not.

Take these steps and you can minimize your costs. 

See this article from the device support pages that describes some of these actions and others: http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&solutionId=KB84199

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks! Very helpful!

Will I get charged using WIFI at a hotel?

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

15 years ago

@Bergs1019 wrote:
Thanks! Very helpful!

Will I get charged using WIFI at a hotel?

Don't know each hotel is different however a wifi site that charges will have some log in screen that notifies you of any charges that would be added to your hotel bill or require a credit card.  Any wifi charge will not show up on your cellular bill.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

15 years ago

Awesome, I really appreciate the help!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.