Get the myAT&T app
Vinyuri's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, October 22nd, 2017 3:31 PM

Using Google Pixel 2/2xl phone on a AT&T data phone plan?

I am looking into purchasing the Google pixel 2 or pixel2xl however I have seen that this model is for Verizon. How would this work if I wanted to purchase and use this phone on my AT&T plan? I believe there is no removable sim card so I want to know how my service would be transferred (or if this is even possible) from my old HTC phone to the Google pixel 2? Also, what qualities or features would I lose when making this transition? Would I still be able to use 4g network when out of wifi range? So many questions lol, thank you so much in advance.  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

I used the first Pixel.  All smartphones currently use a removable SIM card.  The box includes a tool to pop out the sim drawer.

The Pixel will not have advanced calling features.  No HD voice, no Wifi calling.  I found the antenna to be excellent compared to other phones so it got service in areas that were marginal for other phones.

You won’t have any problem with LTE, it’s a US compatible phone.  

The phone comes with a data transfer dongle, just follow directions.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Order it from store.google.com and yes the phone does have a sim card.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Why does AT&T continue to block a phone such as the Pixel, Pixel 2, etc... from using HDVoice & WiFi Calling features when these phones that are fully capable of performing those functions?  Can you explain with any reasonable logic why this is the case beyond just the simple response that it's "not an AT&T phone" like the store employees continue to spew out?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@D1andOnlyOmen wrote:

Why does AT&T continue to block a phone such as the Pixel, Pixel 2, etc... from using HDVoice & WiFi Calling features when these phones that are fully capable of performing those functions?  Can you explain with any reasonable logic why this is the case beyond just the simple response that it's "not an AT&T phone" like the store employees continue to spew out?

the pixel 2 with 8.1 does get volte.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I didn't see any mention of this in release notes for 8.1.   What will it take for WiFi Calling to also work?    Our house is in a particularly bad reception area and there seems to be no rush what-so-ever for the carriers to do anything to improve it, but my wife's Samsung S7 Active (carrier branded of course) that can take advantage of WiFi Calling is at least able to make/receive calls much more reliably than my current phone (Nexus 6P, also not a "carrier phone" but capable of using these same services).   I'd like to upgrade to the Pixel 2, but these are some pretty significant pieces I'd like to know about the overall phone performance before I pull the trigger.   

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@D1andOnlyOmen wrote:

I didn't see any mention of this in release notes for 8.1.   What will it take for WiFi Calling to also work?    Our house is in a particularly bad reception area and there seems to be no rush what-so-ever for the carriers to do anything to improve it, but my wife's Samsung S7 Active (carrier branded of course) that can take advantage of WiFi Calling is at least able to make/receive calls much more reliably than my current phone (Nexus 6P, also not a "carrier phone" but capable of using these same services).   I'd like to upgrade to the Pixel 2, but these are some pretty significant pieces I'd like to know about the overall phone performance before I pull the trigger.   

Wifi calling is a whole different beast...  It still boils down to configurations and imei stuff on atts backend.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@D1andOnlyOmen

You have to buy a T mobile phone to use Wifi calling on T mobile.  You have to buy a Verizon phone to use Wifi callling on Verizon.  Etc, etc.  

the only exception is the fruit phone.... (iPhone 6 and newer on ATT.  5s works on t mobile)

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

So what your saying is that basically, because I can only assume APPLE invented WiFi calling and has the ONLY technology available in phones that can work with ANY carrier, that's why APPLE phones are special enough to be the only phones that it doesn't really matter WHERE you bought the phone and it will just work on any carrier's WiFi calling without issue??    No other phone manufacturers are able to make phones with the proper hardware technology already built in to allow the phone to handle WiFi calling regardless of the carrier network?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

iOS is a singular. 

Android on the other hand is legion.  It is the multitude and fractured android OS that makes if difficult for each carrier to accommodate all android, so they accommodate only their branded phones.  

Former Employee

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

You do not need a T-mobile branded phone to utilize WiFi calling with them. I have the OG Pixel form the Google Store and WiFi calling and VoLTE works fine on it

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.