Get the myAT&T app
CLC12487's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, March 25th, 2015 4:23 PM

Traveling Abroad/Passport Plan

I purchased the 30 day passport plan for a trip to Ireland in a few days.  It is very confusing regarding what is included and what I need to do with my phone prior to travel.  I read through some previous questions from people that explained that sending and receiving texts are included in it even though it specifies only sending.  Some of the posts also explain that the fee I am paying covers the "roaming".  What do I need to do to my phone prior to arriving in Ireland?  Since the fee covers roaming do I not need to turn anything off or do I need to turn off the data?  I downloaded the passport app that will tell me when I am in hot spots for the Wifi but I want to make sure I do not incur any additional fees.  I am aware of the data amount allotted and the $1 per minute for phone calls.  I am planning to text, and email at those wifi hot spots.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

@CLC12487 wrote:

I purchased the 30 day passport plan for a trip to Ireland in a few days.  It is very confusing regarding what is included and what I need to do with my phone prior to travel.  I read through some previous questions from people that explained that sending and receiving texts are included in it even though it specifies only sending.  Some of the posts also explain that the fee I am paying covers the "roaming".  What do I need to do to my phone prior to arriving in Ireland?  Since the fee covers roaming do I not need to turn anything off or do I need to turn off the data?  I downloaded the passport app that will tell me when I am in hot spots for the Wifi but I want to make sure I do not incur any additional fees.  I am aware of the data amount allotted and the $1 per minute for phone calls.  I am planning to text, and email at those wifi hot spots.

Incoming texts would be free whether you had a passport plan or not, that is why the plan only specifies sending texts. The only thing I would recommend you do is turn data roaming off and only turn it on when you want to use cellular data. I have seen some complaints about the passport data alotment getting all used up by the passport app searching for wifi hotspots. If you turn data roaming off, that won't happen. By the way, if the only data you plan to do is email, you probably don't need to worry about finding wifi hotspots, the amount of cellular data you get on passport should cover all your email needs. Just turn data roaming on when you want to check/send email, then turn it off when you are done.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Administrator

• 

869 Messages

8 years ago

Learn about AT&T Passport packages for short-term and recurring international travel at AT&T Passport packages overview, while Retired wireless international roaming packages will offer information on keeping a retired package that’s already on your AT&T wireless account.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

9 years ago

No, you WILL be charged .50 per text and 1.30 per pic message because you will be roaming internationally. International text messages are included in plan when you are sending from the United States only.
I suggest you get the package, it included unlimited messaging with the 1$/per and 120MB of data. Better to get the package and pay the 30 to be sure that you are covered.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

LDerou22, OP said they bought the international passport plan. That plan covers texts and picture messages, there is no additional charge.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

9 years ago

I see.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

I hope you didn't buy the passport plan, it's a complete waste of money. Wifi hotspots are available in Ireland whether you have the passport plan or not, having it doesn't not give you special access. And texts are hit and miss. Some texts are sent/received right away while others are delayed.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

@Gatorjimbo wrote:

I hope you didn't buy the passport plan, it's a complete waste of money. Wifi hotspots are available in Ireland whether you have the passport plan or not, having it doesn't not give you special access. And texts are hit and miss. Some texts are sent/received right away while others are delayed.

You are right, the passport plans aren't needed for wifi. The value of any passport plan is unlimited texting, cellular data and reduced rates on cellular calls. As for the hit or miss issue with texts you experienced, that has nothing to do with the passport plan but totally depends on the foreign cellular system you are connected to. If you had an issue with texting, it was probably due to the Irish cell carrier you were roaming on. The passport plan only covers what you are charged for texting, cellular data and cellular calls. You could still do all of those functions without a passport plan, however you would pay quite a bit more.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

You can text with wifi and not incur charges. And the wifi hotspots are one of the selling features, so that's very misleading. The data useage is horrendous in Ireland. You're lucky if you get 4g wherever you go. The more advantageous plan is to unlock your phone and goto a Super Tesco store and buy a sim and use the plan that comes with it. For $45, you'll get 15 GB of data, cheap international calls and unlimited texting. Beats the limited but expensive passport plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

Yes there are messaging apps that work on wifi but no, you can not send SMS or MMS messages over wifi. Those can only be sent over the cellular system. Most people have message apps that only support SMS/MMS and those messaging apps that work over wifi usually also require the recipients to have the same app.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:
Yes there are messaging apps that work on wifi but no, you can not send SMS or MMS messages over wifi. Those can only be sent over the cellular system. Most people have message apps that only support SMS/MMS and those messaging apps that work over wifi usually also require the recipients to have the same app.

Not sure why you're arguing with me when I just went through this experience for 3 weeks in Ireland. You can download an app, send text messages and the recepient doesn't have to have the same app. As a matter of fact, if you have wifi and you're using iMessages, you can go that route. Either way, I'm glad, as an employee, that you ignored the points I made in regards to the wifi hotspots being a selling feature or the fact that unlocking the phone and using a sim card is a cheaper and much better alternative. No need to reply unless you really just want to have the last word. I just spent 3 weeks dealing with it, so unless you've been to Ireland and dealt with their "network," please keep it to yourself.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.