For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
Gary L's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

Saturday, March 11th, 2017 3:48 AM

They do track how your data is used. I see a new option at My AT&T

Is this new or have I somehow missed this?

I'm suprised there wasn't some information on this previously. They warned us about stream saver many many times.

I've got a new button my data usage screen: 

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.34.56 PM.png

When I click it I get this page:

(Which I think was "off", but already had data for two periods if I needed to turn it "on")Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.34.36 PM.png

The oldest bill period has nothing, so I assume this is that new...?

And I've hit the plus signs for a few categories to show you some breakdowns.

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.47.22 PM.png

@lizdance40 I know it's not very content specific, but I thought it was interesting...

To be clear on the rhetorical subject line, I'm one of the people who have said that! While it's not very specific information at this time, I wonder what it will turn into. Obviously if it said something like YouTube 25%, it would certainly help in diagnosing data usage. 

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 Attachments

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

That is EXTREMELY CREEPY.  Fyi I don't have that page yet.  I can see them aggregating stats like this overall, or amongst demo groups, but at a user level- not good. 

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

VZW has done this for quite awhile. Who knows at what level they're really tracking it at

I'd say the difference in why they didn't announce this vs Stream Saver is, is they figured capping streams at 480p would cause outrage if it wasn't announced ahead of time.

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

I found it on my usage page too. When I went to turn it on, got this popup:

"By selecting submit, I understand that I will be shown high-level categories of Internet usage for every device on the account. The displays to follow won’t show usage while on a Wi-Fi network or actual websites visited. I further understand that this additional detail is being shown only to me, as I am the primary user and have overall responsibility for the account. Others on my account won’t be able to see this, so I acknowledge that I have their consent, or will get it,before looking at their usage. Finally, I also understand that AT&T customer service representatives can’t tell or show me more, since even they won’t see this display. I acknowledge that I can turn off this view at any time if I am uncomfortable with these terms."

Knowing even reps can't see it is nice. Not that I care personally, but I'm sure some do.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

oh, great .....

Verizon has this and it creates nothing but trouble.   

"If the carrier can see what I use my data for, then why can't they show me EXACTLY what, how much and when".

They will want it by ISP or app.   

I guess with the addition of unlimited plans, this might be less of an argument.    

It's not new....  I have old screen shots including this option....

IMG_5517.JPG

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

oh, great .....

Verizon has this and it creates nothing but trouble.   

"If the carrier can see what I use my data for, then why can't they show me EXACTLY what, how much and when".

They will want it by ISP or app.   

I guess with the addition of unlimited plans, this might be less of an argument.    

It's not new....  I have old screen shots including this option....

@lizdance40 I'm not seeing it on the image you included.

It's just below where your screenshot stops.

It's the "How is data being used?" part.

Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 11.07.08 AM.png

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@jt212s wrote:

I'd say the difference in why they didn't announce this vs Stream Saver is, is they figured capping streams at 480p would cause outrage if it wasn't announced ahead of time.

Yeah, but I could see some privacy nut jumping all over this.

To be clear: I'm not concerned at all about the data (just the nuts!).

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L oh i completely agree. i'm like you, i'm "meh" and don't care, but i'm sure some people do.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

If you don't have it yet, I'm wondering if this will let you look.

This is a shortened URL that seems to work (the other is a more complicated one with account numbers, line number and dates.)
https://www.att.com/my/#/passthrough/dub?returnURL=/olam/passthroughAction.myworld?actionType=CurrentUsage

Make sure you're logged in already.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.