Get the myAT&T app
DEGUY's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, February 3rd, 2011 2:39 PM

Smart Limits & iPhone

I recently downloaded the myWireless Mobile app for my iPhone.  I didn't see a way to manage my SmartLimits from this app.  Am I missing something or is there another app needed to manage the SmartLimits - or can I only do that online?

Thanks.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

ATT should do more for us {word filter evasion} off and at wits end for all this B/S that they charge us for.........comon sense ????
Do any of your programers have some?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I am 50 years old and used to build my own computers when you prolly weren"t even born yet.........
Smart limits sucks and you know it...!!!!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

My kids will have the latest tech. tools........
There is a huge safety benefit and they will excell over all other kids that limit knowledge ............

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Still paying for services that dont service ???

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I found an app on the Android called cBlocker. It let's you create a black and white list for phones and SMS messages. That way you can at least limit somehow your calls and texts. It also lets you control other phones remotely Smiley Wink

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

greatest feature on Samsung Galaxy Note is the reject feature..automatically blocks all unknown callers and i can manually add numbers that bother me. Every phone should have this feature.

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

So far, all SAMSUNG phones in our family have had individual no. blocking, as well as Unknown Caller blocking.

Curator

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Hi All,

I have been encountering the same issue myself the past few days. I have a 15-year-old girl with a new boy friend, so.....you all know the deal of uncontrollable texting, Internet, games, video during class time, study time and in the middle of the night. Smiley Mad

I have had "Smart Limits" on my daughter's phone for years with great success in teaching her how to control herself until (drum roll) the IPHONE!!!!Smiley Surprised

I chatted with AT&T yesterday about the exact same problem everyone here is having and got the same answers. Luckily I am a "techy" Librarian and all-around software nerd who knows Apple products & features quite well. So when I physically confiscated her phone yesterday I found the solution I think will work work you as well:

The restrictions for the iPhone are to be set within the iPhone itself -- not via AT&T. Think of the iPhone as being a mini laptop or computer because it is. So to set parental restrctions you must do it on the device itself. It is the same as you need to use "Windows Essentials"/"Family Safety" (or McAfee, etc.) on Windows 7 and on Macs parental controls on the computer your child uses. The service provider for parental controls (for me, that is Optimum) is not the place to go for iPhones.

Anyway, once you manage to get a hold on your kids' phone you need to go to Settings. From there you can add "Restrictions" and add your own 4 digit password just for restrictions on their iPhone. You can delete any apps (the apps to get around texting is a texting app!), FaceTime, Wif-fi, all games Chrome, Safari, Google, the camera & Camera Roll -- ANYTHING. You can "freeze" the apps they have, eliminate them & prevent them from getting more apps --including free apps. DON'T FORGET to shut off Bluetooth as them can get apps from their friends via Bluetooth.

It works. If looks could kill I would be dust Woman Surprisedby the one my daughter gave me when nerdy mommy outsmarted her, but she has finals coming up and her getting into a good college than her being an impulsive, angry teen at her Mom right now. So now Smart limits work just as well as they did before -- time of day, blocked #s, etc,

Here is a list of How-To resources on you can go to for assistance:

Easy "How-To" Articles:

http://www.imore.com/iphone-101-set-parental-controls-iphone

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4213

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonehowtos/ht/Using-Iphone-Content-Restrictions.htm

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clI0UYIxdkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRnwI48iP9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu6vZU5ITHY

We have the iPhone 4 but I am certain it will work with others. Also Apple is EXTREMELY customer friendly and is wonderful in assisting with any issues.

So Smart limits do work with iPhones -- it is just that teens are savvy enough to use apps & iPhone features to get around them.

Good luck fellow worn-out parents!!!!Smiley Wink

Let me know if it works for you -- I am genuinely interested.

My only advice for AT&T is that I wish you would post a little paragraph, including the link above (or a better one) to Apple explaining that restrictions can be done on iPhones but it must be done within the iPhone.

Curator

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I completely understand. my 15 year-old daughter is pushed ahead 2 years and I got her the iPhone with our upgrade for $0.99 with the upgrade as a "reward" for being responsible as well. In the one month we have had the device peace turned to chaos. But they are teenagers and, according to current studies, CAT scans of their brains are similar to adults with brain damage (NY Times article about 3 years ago).

Anyway, There will be teen-age sulkiness but I found a way to spend less time policing and fretting so I just posted it in this string. The answer is in the iPhone itself -- I posted 6 links on how to set it up. No my daughter's iPhone is "just" a cell phone.

I do think AT&T needs to provide this info concerning iPhones and similar devices more prominently on their site with links of how to do it. Perhaps we can advocate for that.

Best of luck to you!!!Smiley Happy

Curator

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I completely understand. I have 15-year-old daughter.

Anyway, I the answer is in the iPhone itself -- I posted a full response with 6 links on how to set it up. Now my daughter's iPhone is "just" a cell phone.

I do think AT&T needs to provide this info concerning iPhones and similar devices more prominently on their site with links of how to do it. Perhaps we can advocate for that.

Best of luck to you!!!Smiley Happy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.