Get the myAT&T app
DEGUY's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, February 3rd, 2011 2:39 PM

Smart Limits & iPhone

I recently downloaded the myWireless Mobile app for my iPhone.  I didn't see a way to manage my SmartLimits from this app.  Am I missing something or is there another app needed to manage the SmartLimits - or can I only do that online?

Thanks.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

REALLY????  This is how an AT&T employee replies to one of their "valued" customers?  How about a proper response that actually shows that AT&T gives some small regard to thier customers   - something like "We are sorry for the inconvenience.  We would like very much to accomodate our customers' needs and we hope to have this feature back in the near future".  That would be a proper, RESPECTFUL response, but i am learning that is so not AT&Ts MO. 

AT&T is the one that put this Community Support Forum up. Did they think they would not get requests and complaints from customers as well as questions?  DId they not train their employees on what proper customer support actually is?  We have been with AT&T for over 6 years (why so long, i am beginning to wonder) and in the past usually didn't get this kind of rude response but it seems to be changing into the norm lately. 

By the way.  my Smart Limits feature also suddenly disappeared off my MyWireless login since we got the iphone for that line, but of course they continue to charge me.  Looking like a refund coming my way.

Please get it together AT&T.  Customers experiences with you have increasingly become very disappointing.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

It has been absolutely unhelpful!  Att needs to fix the smart limit issues with the iphone - otherwise you should have the smart limits program for free because its literally useless if it doesnt work on the iphone.  AT&T is happy to sell our teenagers an iphone and we have to be the parents to keep watch over their content and usage - we cannot be constantly with those teenagers.  Please tell the smart limits developers that they need to get to work on this functionality of the iphone and its ability to bypass every restriction. 

Thank you!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I have found out the hard way that smart limits does not work for iphone data although the att sales people told us it would. After calling ATT about this issue and explaining that we were mislead by the sales people about the smart limits working for the iphone data usage the only answer I got was I had 30 days to return the phone and I could pay for more data. So now IM stuck paying for a phone with a feature I was LIED to about from an ATT sales person.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

12 years ago

Children do not belong having iphones to begin with. Get them a crappy nokia or Samsung, they can get a iphone when they have a job and can pay for it. Just my 2cents.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Listen everyone. None of you are addressing the real issue which is setting the iPhone restrictions directly within the phone itself. Just set the parental restrictions so they can't install any new apps. 

I have the AT&T smart restrictions set but also within the iphone I have safari, youtube, itunes, installing and deleting apps, explicit language, camera, facetime, email and multiplayer games turned off.

You just have to be smarter than your kid.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Exactly. Buying an iPhone for a teen so you can "get in touch with them" is like buying them a brand new Jaguar convertible so they can drive themselves to school. If your kid racks up $$$ in overages and you, parents, do nothing about it except complain about the bottom line on your bill, it's on YOU.

I ran into a similar situation when I put a family member on my cell phone plan. Big mistake from Day One. After receiving email notifications Every. Other. Day. that FM was surpassing her allotted data usage, the iPhone was replaced with a basic model that makes and receives calls/text messages. No guilt. None.

AT&T's initial solution was Smart Controls, and I quickly found out that this service did not work on the iPhone. I was then advised to upgrade my data plan. Given the level of overages FM had, I would have had to upgrade to unlimited, and I can tell you that was not going to happen. Because I cannot afford it, and I know this.

I use *maybe* 20 percent of my data plan each month, so prudent people can stay within their usage amount. But one thing this has taught me is that when someone isn't paying for their own cell phone service, they can and will take advantage of it. If your kid wants an iPhone so they can download apps or play around on the Internet, tell them to get a part-time job and pay for it themselves.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

12 years ago

Go to walmart and buy a go phone for $17. Then you can talk to them and not have to pay for the extra data package just the $9.99 add a lines until the kids can obey their parents.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

12 years ago

The windows 8 has smart controls 

Safety first

Windows 8 comes with parental controls that enable separate user accounts for each kid in a family on which parents can impose separate restrictions. So, for example, different children can be allowed more or less time playing "World of Warcraft," according to the Building Windows 8 blog.

The monitoring and control capabilities -- what Microsoft calls family safety features -- also generate reports about what each child has been up to online, including time spent online broken down by days, top applications used, websites visited and searches made.

It's a one-way street; the kids can't access parents' emails and can customize their own accounts, within restrictions, without affecting their parents' settings.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/052112-windows8-update-259479.html?page=2

Tutor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Wow and you guys are the adults??? Whats funny is those same kids you're saying shouldnt have phones that THEIR PARENTS bought them probably know more about how to block and unblock the controls better than all of you lol. And honestly this isnt about children what about the GROWN adults like myself who have an iphone and WORK FULL TIME to pay the i dont know $150 a month (not including the two-three hundred bucks for the actual iphone) for the services? I think if im paying $200 bucks for a phone and an additional $150/mo for the services i should at least have the same service available to me and my iphone that the person with the crappy nokia has..bet that crappy nokia wasnt no $200 so whats special about that phone?? and cmon people 41-50% (2011) of ADULTS own iphones so dont you think it would be beneficial not only for the customer but for ATT"S business as well to put a Smart limits plan together for the iphone users?? um yeah it would and it doesnt matter who or what age of person has the darn thing..last time i checked PARENTS have rights as well as responsibilities..its their god given right to purchase whatever the they want for their child in addition to that one of their responsibilities is to protect them...all a parent wants for their child is safety and these days it is IMPERATIVE to have those Smart Limit services no matter what phone you or your kids have especially considering how much the iphone costs...i mean seriously as much technology as we have in the world these days and u cant even create a parental control plan for the most purchased/used phone in the US? oh no..never that but they can set up data plans that cost even more then the old plans?? Seems pretty ignorant and cheap on  ATT's part. Oh and PS..all of you people on here hating on kids and teenagers..listen just because your parents didnt care about you and your safety and couldnt afford NICE  things when you were young doesnt mean EVERYONE has to be cheap. This is  probably why the older generation is so rude, stingy, and opinionated..{word filter evasion}..and trust me we all have one already we do not need yours..[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Former Employee

• 

65 Messages

12 years ago

Smart Limits feature does not work on smart phones. The are plenty of phones that can be used for texting and calling and are non-smart phones. You can always add a data block and a purchase blocker. Apple products have options for parental controls as well. Smart Limits can still be used to set time if day restrictions as well as setting a list of allowed numbers. Unfortunately, those are the only options at this time.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.