Get the myAT&T app
Dave-in-CT's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, August 3rd, 2018 1:36 AM

Seeking clarification on using $45 Prepaid Plan in Mexico for up to a 6 month stay

In my plan details under the International section it says:

"Number of texts and number of voice minutes while in Mexico and Canada cannot exceed 50% of the total no. of texts or voice minutes you use in a month, for any consecutive three month period."

What happens if someone stays in Mexico up to 6 months (the length of a tourist visa from US, for example) making all calls & sending all texts from there without leaving Mexico? Does this mean that after 3 months you would have to stop using the AT&T plan and get a Mexico based carrier for the duration of the stay?

Thanks for any clarification on this.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Dave-in-CT

If month 1 and 2 are 100% in Mexico, I think ATT will exercise its right to cut you off.   I recall a post some time ago from someone who lost service at month 2 in Mexico and was not aware of the 50%/90 Day rule. Since managing your plan outside the USA is difficult, And it were me, I would turn off auto pay and port my US number to google voice, get service with Mexican carrier.  

Btw, I heard the default roaming carrier is not always very good.  You migh5 be better off picking a good carrier rather than getting forced onto ATT choice.   

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Then you better get a plan with a local carrier.  ATT states they will terminate your service.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks very much for your prompt reply.

I saw this post from July 2017 quoting the same passage which ends with "...or service may be terminated." and refers to the GoPhone website at that time. But on my AT&T Prepaid (what they call GoPhone now) plan's page where I quoted from that ending phrase isn't there anymore. But whether or not they'd actually terminate it, would I be okay as long as I made the switch in the last week of the third consecutive month, or I'd need to do it even sooner?

It also says "Coverage and svc. not avail. everywhere." so I guess depending on the location in Mexico there might be poor or no service making a switch to a local carrier necessary sooner anyway.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks again, Liz. Your dog is cute, my 13-yr-old beagle mix had to be put down last December, I really miss him. He spent half a year in Guatemala with me in 2013:

IMG_20130426_151923-sm.jpg

I have Google Voice using my ex-Charter/Spectrum phone number which I ported, and also currently have my AT&T number linked to Voice. I use an Obihai device with my Charter internet and was wondering if can use that with a local internet ISP in Mexico, still gotta look into that more but think it might work. I don't mind getting a local carrier because I want dependable coverage/usage. Are you saying I could port my AT&T number to GV, shut off auto pay & leave account dormant, then port it back when I return? I was thinking I'd need to keep the account active w/auto pay to still have the number available when I get back. Then I could also redirect any calls to my phone while down there after also linking the Mexican carrier's number to GV. Again I'm not sure on all this but maybe you know from folks posting here?

1 Attachment

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Dave-in-CT

Thanks, I have 2.  Sorry, they do take a piece of us when they go.  My old boy died at 16 in April.  

Port to google voice will close your ATT Account, you can port back when you return.  Better than paying for it and yes, your US contacts should still be able to reach you on the number. 

Phew.  Too hot for me...  Connecticut is bad enough right now. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40

Thanks so much again and am very sorry to hear you lost one of your companions too recently.

Regarding the hot weather, I'll be going in 2-3 months & the areas I'm considering are all inland 'altiplano' ones with fairly temperate yr-round climate, similar to Guatemala where driving a half-hr down towards the coast the temp went from mid-70s to over 100. For now I'm just trying to figure out this and other related aspects to part-time living down there.

Also my phone solutions situation is a bit fuzzy in that I may need to return to US but can't predict if or when due to having a property on the market, so am unsure what services to keep active vs stopping if I may quickly need them again. I see conflicting info whether Google Voice will even work outside US borders, and use of Skype, WhatsApp, Vonage, MagicJack, etc being mentioned as alternatives. So I'm getting pretty confused and probably need to hear directly from folks/expats/etc down there as to what really works or not.

You've answered my original question though and I'm not sure if I shouldn't be opening other posts regarding these expanded topics beyond AT&T account usage, so will accept your solution above while I keep researching.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Google voice doesn’t work in some east block and Arab and asian counties, as far as I know it works south and Central America.  It’s free after the port in, so it’s a good place to stash your number.  

Good luck.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.