Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Receiving calls from my own number

Contributor

Receiving calls from my own number

I am receiving calls from my own phone number. Is my phone hacked? I am really concerned. Do I need to change my number?

Message 1 of 13
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by beckyww
‎08-13-2018 10:02 AM

Re: Receiving calls from my own number

No, your phone has not been hacked. Your number is being spoofed. It is a common technique used by spammers and scammers to get you to answer. Changing your number won’t help, the scammers call every possible number. The best thing to do is not answer. Since your own number can’t actually call itself, you could block it too.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 13
Contributor

Thank you.

Message 3 of 13
Tutor

I tried blocking my own number (my land line) but the AT&T service would not allow me to do it!

Message 4 of 13
Contributor

I have been experiencing this problem repeatedly. I finally blocked my own number however by doing so I can no longer check my voice mail remotely. Is there another way to stop this?

Message 5 of 13
Tutor

I don't know, but could you please tell me how you blocked your own number?
I need to do that, but can't figure out how!
Message 6 of 13
Contributor

I have a Panasonic landline phone which has a way to block calls. I was able to block my own number by using the call blocker on my phone. However, I could not do this for a long period of time because you would not get any calls at all. I left my number blocked for a couple of days than unblocked it.
Message 7 of 13
Contributor

This has really gotten out of hand. I wish the phone companies had a way to be accountable to help. I get 100 robo calls a week. Even if I block the numbers, they still leave robo voice mails.

Message 8 of 13
Contributor

I have a call blocking device on my landline. (Not my cell phone)  It blocks 100% of the unwanted calls because only "approved" phone numbers can actually call me with this device.  Today, for the very first time, I received a scam call from my own number, with my name appearing on the caller ID. This was a shock to me. I blocked my own number with this device (since I can't call myself anyway) and then called from my cell phone to be sure calls weren't being blocked from getting through to my actual number.

It works!!!!   I have my own number blocked and "approved" calls can still get through!!   Yayyy!!! I've beaten the scammers!!!  hahahahaahahahaahahahaahahahaahah!!!!!

Message 9 of 13
Contributor

I have verizon and am told I cannot block my own number is there a way to get around that?

Message 10 of 13
Contributor

Verizon tells me I cannot block my own number is there a way to get around that? I'm sick of getting calls from my own number and my voicemail.

Message 11 of 13
Contributor

My parents landline had this same issue. I now answer any number that is either mine or has the first 6 numbers that are equivalent to my number as “911 what’s your emergency?” the calls stopped immediately. 

Message 12 of 13
Voyager

Look at the 3 dots in the upper right corner of your profile. See if you have a menu to block it there. Also look at the bottom of your profile screen and see if you find a menu to block it there.

Message 13 of 13
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support