How to activate International roaming in a prepaid mobile connection

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎04-07-2018 7:17 AM

Re: Prepaid International roaming

You can’t. Prepaid service does not support international roaming other than Canada and Mexico. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 9
Contributor

Message 3 of 9
Scholar

I have a friend who lives in Europe and has a cell phone. Can he call me or better yet send me an SMS text if I add the international option to my ATT prepaid phone?

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Sage

@gooch_1

If you are in the USA yes.  If in Europe, you will have no service at all.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 9
Scholar

Thanks. To be a little more specific: I have a a bank account in a European bank that is switching over to two factor login.   For the second factor, they send me a six digit code using SMS text message that I would receive on my cell phone. I then enter the code shown on the cell phone into my computer and that lets me login to my bank account.  I will always be in the USA when using this procedure so from what you say, if I add the International Option to my AT&T prepaid, I should be able to receive the SMS text message sent by the bank. Correct?

Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
ACE - Sage

To receive calls or text you do not need international plan.  If you call out, you would be charged high rates.  There is no charge to receive a call or text.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 7 of 9
Scholar

Okay, that is great. I will test that out with a friend who lives in Europe. Thank you

Message 8 of 9
Scholar

OK, tted that with friend in Europe and received the SMS text message immediately with no problem. Just as you said. Thanks again

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support