Prepaid International roaming

How to activate International roaming in a prepaid mobile connection

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

You can’t. Prepaid service does not support international roaming other than Canada and Mexico. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

@sandblaster 

Appreciate your patience in responding to the customers' question. I have similar situation where I am on AT&T Prepaid for a number of years and I like what I am paying for. 

I would like to propose this feedback/feature to be included whereby a customer can add certain dollar amount to their amount and if they have good long standing relationship with AT&T, you would allow at least basic (128Kbps) internet on international roaming. 

I would like to AT&T to consider upgrading such feature in the near future. As the world is getting smaller with customers flying aboard in many cases, a limited international roaming feature would be greatly welcome. 

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

5 years ago

I have a friend who lives in Europe and has a cell phone. Can he call me or better yet send me an SMS text if I add the international option to my ATT prepaid phone?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@gooch_1

If you are in the USA yes.  If in Europe, you will have no service at all.

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks. To be a little more specific: I have a a bank account in a European bank that is switching over to two factor login.   For the second factor, they send me a six digit code using SMS text message that I would receive on my cell phone. I then enter the code shown on the cell phone into my computer and that lets me login to my bank account.  I will always be in the USA when using this procedure so from what you say, if I add the International Option to my AT&T prepaid, I should be able to receive the SMS text message sent by the bank. Correct?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

To receive calls or text you do not need international plan.  If you call out, you would be charged high rates.  There is no charge to receive a call or text.

• 

2 Messages

I have a prepaid account and I have no service since I arrived to Europe. I did have service when I had a postpaid account.

I there any way to get service with prepaid?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

@miltonlaufer No. Prepaid service does not work in Europe.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

@sandblaster thank you very much for your answer. As you can imagine, I wasn't expecting this. Is there any way to make this work from here?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

@miltonlaufer If already activated, WiFi calling might work. Otherwise, no, there is no way to make prepaid service work from Europe.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

5 years ago

Okay, that is great. I will test that out with a friend who lives in Europe. Thank you

Scholar

• 

110 Messages

5 years ago

OK, tted that with friend in Europe and received the SMS text message immediately with no problem. Just as you said. Thanks again

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.