Get the myAT&T app
sevenmke's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, September 28th, 2016 3:42 AM

Passport international plan

With the Passport plan, I understand the overseas person can send unlimited texts. Presently, I have an AT&T unlimited wireless package and I have questions how the Passport plan works as it pertains to the phones within the plan.  

What happens when the person/phone overseas receive texts (from someone in the U.S) - are they charged anything?

For the person in the U.S., are they charged anything for sending a text to the person that is overseas? And vice versa, are they charged for receiving a text from the overseas person?

Is it necessary to have the Passport App? What’s the functionality or purpose of the app? What’s the difference between using a 'participating' wi-fi hotspot and a ‘non-participating’ hot spot?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

Person in US: will not get charge additional for send and receive text to and from overseas.

Person overseas without Passport: Will not get charge for receiving text. Pay per use for sending text. **

Person ovrseas with Passport: Will not get charge for receiving and sending text. **

** When you have setting on the phone to receive text, you also can receive calls and voice mail. Pay per use charges for calls without Passport. Passport rate for calls applies with Passport.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

Ref the Passport app, it's only use to my knowledge is to locate and login to those participating hotspots. The difference between participating and non-participating is the app does not find non-participating hotspots. From what I understand, there are not many of those participating hotspots and many customers have complained about the app using up all their passport data trying to find them. I've always been able to find free wifi without that app. 

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

8 years ago

Whether you need the Passport depends on your own needs. Participating wifi hotspots are the ones sponsor by AT&T. From my travels, I never came across one in the past. I don't think it is a determinating factor to purchase the Passport or not. Non-participating wifi, I guess is just all the other wifi you come across.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

My granddaughter was in Japan for 7 weeks this summer . I added the Passport it never worked . We went to phone store had phone unlocked . They downloaded a program that made her phone characters Japanese . It did nothing to help her make a call . She was going to buy a sim card there her host family told her not to. She ended up going to Starbucks telling me about a free program called "LINE" and Instagram ( I downloaded ) She texted and called me (Line) from them no charge. Not sure about other countries. We had the same problem with a VISA cash card we got for her at the bank they said it was good in Japan. It never worked we were lucky her debit card did work and she never lost it . 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

How does one get "Passport?"

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@rkspoppy You can add a passport plan to any line on your account online through MyATT or by calling. https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/passport.html

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.