Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Number calling me not in service

Highlighted
Contributor

Number calling me not in service

I hsve had numerous phone calls from the same number over the past several days. I usually do not answer calls from unknown numbers. I did finally pick up on this one but did not say anything and got disconnected. So then I called the number back and got a recording saying that number was not in service. How can a number  not in service be calling me?

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by Administrator (Administrator)
Accepted by ATTDanW
‎09-20-2018 7:43 AM

Re: Number calling me not in service

It's called spoofing.  They even spoof numbers from legitimate numbers and it's a growing problem.  The FCC and all the Telco's have been try to find a solution to the problem for over a year.  

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
Tutor

You've GOT to be kidding me!  A company SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED that they STILL TRANSMIT SPOOFED CALLS?  THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!  C'mon, Engineers, FIGURE IT OUT & FIX IT!  Also, another problem I have is when I continue to receive calls with CALLER ID UNKNOWN when I AM NOT SUPPOSED TO RECEIVE ANY CALLS WITHOUT A CALLER ID.  If you guys don't fix these 2 problems soon, I'm shutting-OFF my Land-Line and moving solely to my Cell Phones.  At least, using them, you can BLOCK A BOGUS CALL, AFTER THE FACT.

Message 3 of 8
Contributor

I've been getting not one, but many calls like that.  They stopped for a while after I got a new number.  I registered in a few places incduincl Facebook, and I am getting those calls quite often.

Sometimes, is not a disconnected number, but a person telling me that she didn't call me.  That the phone service does random calls with her number.   Other times, is some car expired warranty or offering insurance.  

Because of that, nobody that matters can contact me, because I don't pick up thinking that it's another random call, since almost every call to my phone is a gosh call.

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Master

If your search this forum or use your favorite search engine you'll find many topics on spoofed and robocalls.  This is not new and there's many topics that address what's being done and what you can do. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8
Contributor

Blocking a spoof call from a cell works temporarily till they call the next time with a whole different spoof number. Those of us companies who have high Google search traffic get a ton of these each and Every week. They drive me Mad!!! Hard to run an your business efficiently when having to stop and answer 25 to 60 of these each day. FCC, please focus on this and pass new laws with spam fines for this issue. They are clearly spamming us all to death these days. ~Allen B with Allen's Carpet Cleaning in Huntsville AL.

Message 6 of 8
Contributor

Sorry but that will not help either! I’m getting these calls from phone numbers not in service both on my landline and my cell phone too. 

Message 7 of 8
ACE - Master

What doesn't help?  This topic is just for information.  If you want to see the latest information on this issue check this link

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support