Get the myAT&T app
AppDevGuy's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, January 2nd, 2012 6:01 AM

Nexus Galaxy wants phone num to call voice mail

Several days ago I moved my SIM card from a Samsung Google Nexus S (with Android 2.3) to a Nexus Galaxy (with Android ICS 4.0). The phone, web surfing, email, and many other functions work fine.

Today I got my first voicemail message. I tried to select voicemail and it reports:

New voicemail

Voicemail number unknown

I clicked on that item and it then says:

Missing voicemail number

No voicemail number is stored on the SIM card.

I went thru the various online help forms on the AT&T site and they do not mention a phone number. So what to do?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

12 years ago

The simplest thing would be to move the SIM card back into Nexus S, note and write down the VM number, then move it back into Nexus, bring up the phone app, go into Settings, then Voicemail settings. You should have at least one entry under Voicemail service (probably called My Carrier), then go to Settings for My Carrier and specify the voicemail number. BTW, it may pick it up from the SIM as you're poking around those menus.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

So I did as you said and got the voicemail phone number in the Nexus S. Then switched the SIM back into the Nexus Galaxy. Long story short: Upon putting the SIM back into the Galaxy it automatically picked up the voicemail number. I did not have to enter it myself. Go figure.

One thing worth noting: It is hard to find the settings screen for voicemail if you aren't being taken to it automatically due to lack of a voicemail phone number. I had to look at the only Galaxy Nexus users guide to find it. When on the screen that has the dialing phone buttons it is behind a column of 3 dots on the upper right hand side that takes one to a settings page.

Should anyone else need to reach that page see here page 51 "Listen to your voicemail":
http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/help/hc/pdfs/mobile/AndroidUsersGuide-40-en.pdf

Thanks for your help.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

12 years ago

@AppDevGuy wrote:

So I did as you said and got the voicemail phone number in the Nexus S. Then switched the SIM back into the Nexus Galaxy. Long story short: Upon putting the SIM back into the Galaxy it automatically picked up the voicemail number. I did not have to enter it myself. Go figure.

One thing worth noting: It is hard to find the settings screen for voicemail if you aren't being taken to it automatically due to lack of a voicemail phone number. I had to look at the only Galaxy Nexus users guide to find it. When on the screen that has the dialing phone buttons it is behind a column of 3 dots on the upper right hand side that takes one to a settings page.

Should anyone else need to reach that page see here page 51 "Listen to your voicemail":
http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/help/hc/pdfs/mobile/AndroidUsersGuide-40-en.pdf

Thanks for your help.

Glad to hear you got it working. And thank you for posting additional instructions!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.