Todd1234's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, August 25th, 2009 5:27 PM

Closed

Need a reminder......calling from Russia to US

I'll be in Moscow in Sept.

I was in Moscow a few years ago and used my cell with no problem but now have forgotten how to dial the US from Moscow.

Also, if I call a Russian cell while in Moscow, do I still use the 0117 country code like dialing from the US?

Any help with my feeble memory would be appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

@Todd1234 wrote:

I'll be in Moscow in Sept.

I was in Moscow a few years ago and used my cell with no problem but now have forgotten how to dial the US from Moscow.

Also, if I call a Russian cell while in Moscow, do I still use the 0117 country code like dialing from the US?

Any help with my feeble memory would be appreciated.

Just dial +1 followed by the 10-digit number to reach US and +7 followed by the Russian number for Russia. Most phones give you the plus sign by holding 0, Nokias you press the star a couple of times quickly. Keep in mind that it'll be a heck of a lot cheaper to buy a local Russian SIM than to roam with AT&T, so if it matters to you, get your phone unlocked.

Guru

• 

545 Messages

15 years ago

Yeah, as Todd said you should unlock your phone and use Megafon or Beline SIM card to call locally or back to US (it's only about $0.15 - $0.30/min calling to USA depending on which carrier you choose. 

P.S. Megafon is a lot cheaper but won't work as good as Beline outside of Moscow. 

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

@ipk316 wrote:

Yeah, as Todd said you should unlock your phone and use Megafon or Beline SIM card to call locally or back to US (it's only about $0.15 - $0.30/min calling to USA depending on which carrier you choose. 

P.S. Megafon is a lot cheaper but won't work as good as Beline outside of Moscow. 

In Russia Beeline & MTS are to Megafon what in the US Verizon Wireless & AT&T are to T-Mobile 😉

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

The phone will only be used for emergencies and a couple brief check-in's with the US, so AT&T rate will do.

I don't remember using the '+' sign when there before but maybe things have changed.

Guru

• 

545 Messages

15 years ago

@dmapr wrote:

@ipk316 wrote:

In Russia Beeline & MTS are to Megafon what in the US Verizon Wireless & AT&T are to T-Mobile 😉
What? All 3 carriers are GSM... I don't see what Verizon has to do with any of this. 

Scholar

• 

157 Messages

15 years ago

@ipk316 wrote:

@dmapr wrote:

@ipk316 wrote:

What? All 3 carriers are GSM... I don't see what Verizon has to do with any of this. 

I don't believe it has anything to do with wireless technology.

I read that to mean that the coverage provided by Verizon & AT&T as compared to the coverage provided by T-Mobile is similar to coverage provided Beeline & MTS compared to Megafon. In other words T-Mobile & Megafon are both good in the big cities whereas the other 4 work outside of the big cities as well.

Message Edited by charlyee on 08-27-2009 08:41:09 AM

Guru

• 

545 Messages

15 years ago

Oh... yeah it's kind of true. 

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

charlyee wrote:

I don't believe it has anything to do with wireless technology.

I read that to mean that the coverage provided by Verizon & AT&T as compared to the coverage provided by T-Mobile is similar to coverage provided Beeline & MTS compared to Megafon. In other words T-Mobile & Megafon are both good in the big cities whereas the other 4 work outside of the big cities as well.

You are of course absolutely right 😄

Todd1234 wrote:

Thanks for the replies!

The phone will only be used for emergencies and a couple brief check-in's with the US, so AT&T rate will do.

I don't remember using the '+' sign when there before but maybe things have changed.

You probably do not *have* to use the plus sign to call back to the US, however it won't hurt anything (I dial numbers that way even when in US) and it'll guarantee that should you dial a Russian number you'll do it right. Theoretically 011 will work as well, but the plus sign is a safer bet.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.