Get the myAT&T app
russellg99's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, March 1st, 2010 4:02 PM

My iPhone received email while roaming even with Data Roaming disabled?

I recently went on a cruise to the eastern Caribbean and took my iPhone, with the Data Roaming feature disabled the entire time. Once near one of the islands (St Kitts, or St Lucia maybe?) my phone pulled down email from my Gmail account, even though I'm 100% positive the Data Roaming feature was never enabled.  I later checked with AT&T and they say I was not charged for any data roaming.  So it appears that my phone thought it was connected to an AT&T (non-roaming) tower, and pulled down the email just like I was at home -- and AT&T didn't think I was roaming during that data transfer either.

How is that possible?

Thanks,

Russell

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3K Messages

14 years ago

Is it possible you were near the US Virgin Islands?  If so, you may have picked up ATT Virgin Islands, which is not international roaming.

Guru

• 

40 Messages

14 years ago

@russellg99 wrote:

I recently went on a cruise to the eastern Caribbean and took my iPhone, with the Data Roaming feature disabled the entire time. Once near one of the islands (St Kitts, or St Lucia maybe?) my phone pulled down email from my Gmail account, even though I'm 100% positive the Data Roaming feature was never enabled.  I later checked with AT&T and they say I was not charged for any data roaming.  So it appears that my phone thought it was connected to an AT&T (non-roaming) tower, and pulled down the email just like I was at home -- and AT&T didn't think I was roaming during that data transfer either.

How is that possible?

Thanks,

Russell

Its possible that you probably had on your Wi-Fi.....

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

14 years ago

Ah, I forgot to mention about that...  that's a good assumption, but actually no, I had turned the wifi off completely at the beginning of the cruise, because I kept getting prompted for the cruise ship's wifi, which is ridiculously expensive.  But thanks for the reply.

Russell

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

14 years ago

Yes!!  That's exactly it!  We went right by the US Virgin Islands, and it was about the time my phone pulled down the email.  I'm sure that must have been what happened.

Thanks!

Russell

Professor

• 

3K Messages

14 years ago

Heh, no problem.  Just a lucky guess, really.

Do I get a prize for getting multiple "Accepted Solution"s in a week?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.