Get the myAT&T app
timothyltaylor's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, October 13th, 2008 3:59 AM

Closed

Moving To New Zealand for 1 year, from the United States. Where shall we sign up for AT&T?

Hi All,

I wanted to inquire and see what the best options might be for us as we move from the U.S. to New Zealand for 1 year for a job. We do not yet have AT&T for a phone service, though I'll be getting an iPhone to communicate with my business partners that reside here in the U.S.

Considering that we can do VOiP and SMS chat messaging via the iPhone, can anyone suggest we sign up either for a U.S. plan or a New Zealand plan (2 year plan to get the iPhone at reduced price).

What would be most cost efficient for us?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

2.4K Messages

16 years ago

Skype and Fring use data.  As long as you do not exceed the data amount allocated to you by your Vodafone plan you should not have any extra charges.  I'm not sure if Vodafone NZ offers an unlimited data plan but it's worth checking.

When you purchase your new iPhone in NZ ask Vodafone if it is or can be sim unlocked.  If the answer is yes then you will be able to use that device with another provider's plan simply by inserting a new valid sim card.   Note that at&t does not sell unlockable iPhones but some overseas providers do.  You will need to check this carefully with Vodafone NZ.

Good luck

Master

• 

2.4K Messages

16 years ago

Since you are moving It will be far cheaper for you to get a phone and plan from a local provider.  Vodafone New Zealand carries the iPhone there if that's what you are looking for.  Since Vodafone NZ is a GSM provider you will be able to roam with your phone just about anywhere in the world.  http://www.vodafone.co.nz/

If you purchase an iPhone from at&t you will only be able to use it with very expensive at&t roaming rates in NZ which you will be most unhappy with.  Be aware that handset prices there might be more expensive than in the US but your will save much more money with a local calling plan.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

16 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

I'm still not convinced that's the best solution yet. I'm only planning to travel outside of the United States for 1 year. (Possibly, it could be longer and more often in the future though I do realize.)

You mention being able to use GSM almost anywhere in the world. I'm assuming this includes the United States - but can you confirm that if I were to move back that the coverage would be deep throughout the U.S. as well?

Also,I'll need to change plans from New Zealand (assuming I took your advice and started there) to someone in the United States.
+ Will there be any fees in canceling on the New Zealand plan after 1 year?
+ Can you recommend anyone in the United States that I can switch to?

Thanks again.

Message Edited by timothyltaylor on 10-13-2008 06:18:02 AM

Guru

• 

500 Messages

16 years ago

Most of the world does not require 24 month contracts.  12 and 18 month are the norm so you would be able to get a phone on a 12 month contract in NZ.

Master

• 

2.4K Messages

16 years ago

Are you traveling to New Zealand frequently or moving there?  That will help determine the best course of action.

If you sign up for service with at&t then all of your use in New Zealand will be on a roaming basis only at $1.99 to $2.29 PER Minute depending on the international option you choose.  None of your domestic at&t plan mins are valid overseas.  No other US based provider will offer you a much lower rate either for roaming.  If you expect to live in New Zealand for a year then you should sign up for service with a local provider such as Vodafone.

AT&T's international plans are designed for short trips abroad and not extended use unless you have very deep pockets.  In New Zealand you have the option of signing up for a contract account or you can also choose the not contract pay as you go option.  See Vodafone's New Zealand web site for details and prices.

Since AT&T and Tmobile are GSM providers you can roam with a New Zealand handset here in the US if you need to make some trips back to the US when you are still living in New Zealand.

Under no circumstances can you purchase an at&t iPhone and expect to use it with a New Zealand account.  You can only roam there with a this device purchased from at&t.  It's locked to an at&t contract.

Message Edited by DWC1 on 10-14-2008 01:16:16 AM

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

16 years ago

Thanks again for your replies to this.

We will be moving there for at least one year, so I believe after reading your thoughts that deciding on a local New Zealand plan will be best.

Another question: If I were to use Skype and Fring (VOiP AND SMS chat messaging) - will I be charged for usage within my phone plan? (as if I were being charged per email or per text sent out? Or are accessing these things not considered exchanging data through the phone carrier?)

Lastly, say that I do purchase an iPhone via Vodaphone in New Zealand. If we decide to move back, will that same phone be compatible to re-use and sign up with a local carrier here inside the United States?

Thank you!

Message Edited by timothyltaylor on 10-14-2008 05:50:24 AM

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

16 years ago

Great advice!

I'll be sure to remember these things upon going there.

Should I go ahead and try to find an iPhone via eBay (or something similar), would you suggest anything else I keep in mind other than the following?:

+ New Zealand Vodaphone compatible
+ Ability to be SIM unlocked
+ ...

Thanks again.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

16 years ago

Fring (for iPhone) doesn't work over cellular data.  Fring had to disable this to get Apple's certification.

Scholar

• 

332 Messages

16 years ago

Always you have to stay in a foreign country for quite a long time,the best way to go is to have an unlocked GSM phone and buy a prepaid SIM with a local carrier.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.