Get the myAT&T app
KC2's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, September 22nd, 2008 12:43 PM

Closed

LG Vu (CU920) in Japan

I need help in settling conflicting answers. A family member of mine is traveling to Japan soon, and she needs to know if her LG Vu (CU920) will work in that country. I've searched the obvious places, but I'm getting conflicting answers.

1. The (official) AT&T International Travel Guide says no, it will not, because the Vu doesn't support the 2100 Mhz frequency.
2. AT&T customer reps on the phone have told me that it WILL work.
3. This Yahoo Answer (which I know isn't 100% reliable, if even 50%), says yes: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080702130235AAY5gS3

Based on the limited information I've read though, something tells me the AT&T International Guide is telling me everything I need to know - that the Vu will not work in Japan.

Can someone PLEASE confirm this for me and settle it?

Thanks,

KC2

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

13K Messages

16 years ago

@KC2 wrote:
     I need help in settling conflicting answers. A family member of mine is traveling to Japan soon, and she needs to know if her LG Vu (CU920) will work in that country. I've searched the obvious places, but I'm getting conflicting answers.
  1. The (official) AT&T International Travel Guide says no, it will not, because the Vu doesn't support the 2100 Mhz frequency.
  2. AT&T customer reps on the phone have told me that it WILL work.
  3. This Yahoo Answer (which I know isn't 100% reliable, if even 50%), says yes: LINK
     Based on the limited information I've read though, something tells me the AT&T International Guide is telling me everything I need to know - that the Vu will not work in Japan.
     Can someone PLEASE confirm this for me and settle it?
Thanks,
KC2

1. The travel guide is correct the actual phone will not work due to the lack of the 2100 Mhz frequency band. SOURCE
  2. The reps are somewhat correct, the actual service will work there, but again the phone will not.
    • Keep in mind the following if going to Japan.
      • AT&T Standard International Roaming is $2.29 per minute for voice calls. SOURCE
      • AT&T World Traveler which costs $5.99 a month gets you the rate of $1.69 per minute for voice calls. SOURCE
      • All incoming are billed as per your messaging package, or billed at the pay per use message rate which is  SOURCE
      • All outbound sms are billed at the rate of $0.50 per message.
        • There are no packages that can be added to lower this rate.
      • Picture Messages (MMS) are billed at the rate of $1.30 per message.
      • Data usage is billed at the rate of $0.0195 per KB used
      • Also keep this number handy when traveling internationally, it is a free call from your wireless phone but charged from any other phone. +1-916-843-4685 this is the international customer care number, they are available 24/7.
  3. You are correct it is only %50 correct

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

16 years ago

You can use the Travel Guide to know if the phone will work where you are going.  You select the countries you are going to, put in your phone number, select the phone you have, and it will tell you if voice and data will work in that country.

Message Edited by cmwinner on 09-22-2008 09:16:23 AM

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

16 years ago

Well, I know that, but since I'm getting conflicting answers (from AT&T no less), should I let the Travel Guide be the final word?

Thank you.

Expert

• 

13K Messages

16 years ago

@KC2 wrote:
      Well, I know that, but since I'm getting conflicting answers (from AT&T no less), should I let the Travel Guide be the final word?
Thank you.

Yes, or see HERE...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

16 years ago

@wilcre wrote:
  • You are correct it is only %50 correct

• Hahaha 🙂

Perfect - this is all the information I was looking for. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly - hopefully this helps out some other people too!

Thanks!
    Not finding what you're looking for?
    New to AT&T Community?
    New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
    New to the AT&T Community?
    Visit the Community How-To.