Get the myAT&T app
pyc's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Monday, June 4th, 2012 2:28 PM

Is there a way to block one number for free?

Is there a way  to block one number for free?I do not want to pay for a monthly service but I am getting harrasing calls from 1 specific number.

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

The recycling of phone numbers depends on the demand for numbers in any given state/city, most are up to 6 months, but can be as little as 15 days in some area's (LA and NY for example.)

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I would say not

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

And I received dozens of calls and texts looking for "Joey" when I got my phone number. I STILL get the occasional call for that same person! Obviously, AT&T is at fault since they provide the numbers and so, they should a also provide free number blocking services for numbers that just don't stop calling. Oh and about out retiring numbers for a period of time before giving them out to new customers? AT&T is run by a bunch of scum bags.

[edited for privacy]

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

11 years ago

Bottom line, we should not have to subscribe to a paid service to block calls.  Newer home phones ('memba those?) have the option to block numbers that have called, and it doesn't cost a thing!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I, like many others here have had harassing phone calls come in from a prior owner of our number and even though it's nice to have a service that can block 30 numbers, most of us do not need anything close to that and shouldn't have to pay to block a handful.  Verizon allows you to block up to 5 numbers for free.  Why don't you?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

It may be that these people are just making up numbers for u guys. Maybe transposing a couple of their numbers. I would answer, tell them they have the wrong number and if the calls don't stop ask for a supervisor. If it still doesn't stop tell them u are going to report them to the proper authorities.

U can also look in ur app store for app that blocks the calls. I know they have them.

Good luck!!!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I agree! With what I already pay each month for the services I have I shouldn't need to pay extra to be able to block a harassing number!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

The iOS 7 blocking is nice, but it's useless in cases where the phone scammer uses different spoofed caller ID phone numbers every time.

Personally, I do believe that AT&T is somehow responsible for this. These calls started as soon as I quit my AT&T service at the exact same time they started blasting me with snail-mail and email marketing campaigns urging me to come back to AT&T. Clearly they leveraged some marketing partner that failed to properly secure my private data.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

There out to be a FREE way to do this.  AT&T, you're nickling and diming your customers.  There are plenty of competiton out there!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Download the app "Mr. Number".  It is a free app that blocks calls and texts.  You must have the app running for it to work though.  When a blocked number calls, it rings for maybe one second and then a little box pops up saying this call was blocked by Mr. Number.

Hope this helps!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.