Get the myAT&T app
pyc's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Monday, June 4th, 2012 2:28 PM

Is there a way to block one number for free?

Is there a way  to block one number for free?I do not want to pay for a monthly service but I am getting harrasing calls from 1 specific number.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

Options for blocking calls can be found here as well as detailed information about Smart Limits here. If you have further questions or concerns about these options please send a Private Message to us with your account number and contact number and one of our managers will be happy to assist you. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Smart Limits is a great feature that blocks unwanted calls and number on the account level, however, many popular smartphones now offer call blocking as well.

iPhones with iOS7 now includes call blocking option, to activate:

In the FaceTime or Phone app, you can go to Favorites or Recents.

1. Tap the Info button next to the name or number you wish to block.
  2. Scroll to the bottom of the card and tap Block this Caller.
  3. Tap Block Contact.

To view or modify your blocked numbers, go to Settings - Phone - Blocked

Nokia Lumia phones with Windows Phone 8, recently released GDR2/Amber OS update added a new setting option called phone + SMS filter (you might need to download an Extras+info app from the WP Store).

1. Go to Phone app and find a number you wish to block.

2. Press and hold it for couple of seconds.

3. Tap "Block Number"

To view or modify your blocked numbers, go to Settings - phone + SMS filter

Samsung Galaxy phones with Android OS have a feature called "Auto reject list", it allows you to block individual numbers or all Blocked numbers:

1. Start by hitting Phone > Menu > Call settings > Call rejection.

2. Select "Auto reject list".
3. Add any number you wish to block.

Most Android phones have similar features, here is a good article that covers many popular Android phones.

Dmitriy

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Administrator

• 

835 Messages

8 years ago

You can learn more about how some devices can block calls and texts from specified numbers or even from unknown numbers at: Blocking calls and messages.

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

@pyc wrote:

Is there a way  to block one number for free?I do not want to pay for a monthly service but I am getting harrasing calls from 1 specific number.

Unfotunately not.

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

I don't understand why not, except it's a money-maker!

Home phones have a feature now that allows blocking of numbers without having to use ATTs paid service.

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

12 years ago

@spd2demun wrote:

I don't understand why not, except it's a money-maker!

Home phones have a feature now that allows blocking of numbers without having to use ATTs paid service.

That is a really good question!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I totally agree with this request.  The phone # I received from AT&T was previously owned by someone who doesn't know how to pay their bills.  I continue to get phone calls from credit services asking for Valerie.  Since AT&T provided the number, I think it is only fair that they offer 'free' blocking. 

Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

12 years ago

Each time we upgraded phones recently with Family Talk, mysteriously, each number would start getting scam calls from the same numbers!  How can that be a coincidence?  The fact we've had the numbers for years, but after new phones, we all get the spam calls?  Makes me suspicious that someone is giving out info. Smiley Mad

I was surprised to find that iPhone doesn't have a way to do this since they're the only phone that refuses to allow carriers to install their apps.

It's really becoming a problem, especially for those who don't have unlimited minutes!

I keep getting calls for Rashida who hasn't paid her bills either! Smiley Mad

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

there used to be, in fact there still might, be phones that have their own call blocking feature.  you just had to add the offending phone number into your phone's address book and then block them from there.  i don't know whether all manufacturers have now removed this very useful and absolutely necessary feature.

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

@spd2demun wrote:

Each time we upgraded phones recently with Family Talk, mysteriously, each number would start getting scam calls from the same numbers!  How can that be a coincidence?  The fact we've had the numbers for years, but after new phones, we all get the spam calls?  Makes me suspicious that someone is giving out info. Smiley Mad

I was surprised to find that iPhone doesn't have a way to do this since they're the only phone that refuses to allow carriers to install their apps.

It's really becoming a problem, especially for those who don't have unlimited minutes!

I keep getting calls for Rashida who hasn't paid her bills either! Smiley Mad

interesting that you've had the same phone number for years, yet get calls for strangers on your new phones.  we experienced that phenomenon when a family member changed their no. online, and had to subscribe to Smart Limits to stop it.  (we were told that there are no more new phone no.s just recycled ones, but that the no.s are unused for at least 6 mos before being reassigned.  how could that be? the callers were asking about current issues, not old 6-mos ago issues!  *sigh*)

did you do your phone upgrades online?  could they be reading your browser activities?

*paranoid*

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.