For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
CraigJ's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, November 19th, 2016 6:42 PM

Iphone traveling to Mexico.

I'm purchasing the passport plan from  AT&T. How do I cut my usage to a minimum when I am not using the phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@CraigJ What monthly plan do you have?

IF you have a Mobile Share or unlimited plan, you do NOT need the passport plan. 

You do need to make sure you the Mexico roaming on though.

Which phone do you have? Tips will vary by phone and OS.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I have Mobile Share Value 10GB with Rollover Data

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@CraigJ Check on-line and make sure you can't add Roam Mexico (which will use your plan data at no extra cost, with overages at normal price).

That sounds like a retention plan, I can't remember where the default cut off is, but I thought that had it (I thought it was $15 line fee plans had this option).

If you can't add it, call 611 and ask for retention, they're pretty good at adding it to some of the plans. 

Please let me know how it turns out so I know whether to continute to suggest this...

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

@CraigJ wrote:

I'm purchasing the passport plan from  AT&T. How do I cut my usage to a minimum when I am not using the phone.

To cut down usage while not using the phone put it into airplane mode then turn on Wi-Fi for email, web surfing, etc. Disable airplane mode to use the phone normally. Also what @Gary L said if possible. 

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

7 years ago

@CraigJ, Also check your rewards status. I only have a 3Gb data plan, but have free use in Mexico  through my blue rewards.

Rewards.png

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L That 10GB Mobile Share Value plan is likely not a retention plan. 10GB was the original amount of data when the plans were introduced before it was increased to 15GB but many people never changed to the 15GB plan. Bottom line, the Roam Mexico feature should be available to add to each line.

@CraigJ If you are able to add the Roam Mexico feature, you won't have to worry about restricting usage. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@Gary L That 10GB Mobile Share Value plan is likely not a retention plan. 10GB was the original amount of data when the plans were introduced before it was increased to 15GB but many people never changed to the 15GB plan. Bottom line, the Roam Mexico feature should be available to add to each line.

If it's not a retention plan (there is a 10GB retention plan), @CraigJ should call and convert it to the 10GB retention plan for $20 less or get it bumped upped to the 20GB plan for the same price.

Regardless, as I said, the Roam Mexico feature could be the best option (if they can do it themselves or via retention).

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

If it's not a retention plan (there is a 10GB retention plan), @CraigJ should call and convert it to the 10GB retention plan for $20 less or get it bumped upped to the 20GB plan for the same price.

Regardless, as I said, the Roam Mexico feature could be the best option.

Maybe. The data may be $20 less but the line fee is $5 more, so it depends on how many lines as to whether switching is cheaper or not. Regardless, the Roam Mexico feature should be available and a passport plan should not be needed.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@Gary L wrote:

Maybe. The data may be $20 less but the line fee is $5 more, so it depends on how many lines as to whether switching is cheaper or not. 

Unless it disappeared/changed very recently, retention has recently had it with the old line fee, so it doesn't matter for the number of lines. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.