Get the myAT&T app
squishyray's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, October 11th, 2008 5:29 PM

Closed

International data plan billing

In preparation for a two-week trip to London I called to have international data and voice plans added to my account. My desire is to have the plans turned on for the duration of my trip and then remove it upon return.

I was told that it takes several weeks for AT&T billing to receive the data for my activity while traveling and therefore I must maintain the plan for an additional month. The claim is AT&T's billing system will base the charges on the plan in place when the billing happens *not* when the call is made. This rationale has the affect of forcing me to keep the plan for six weeks when I only need it for two.

To me this billing method sounds bogus and borderline fraudulent. Has anyone else been told the same? Has anyone used an international plan and successfully terminated it with proper billing?

Accepted Solution

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

15 years ago

I share your frustration with ATT's policy.  I know that modern billing programs can easily handle billing new charges that had a control date before X date at the old rate.  I suspect that the policy is a vestige, but it is an industry standard vestige which you find across the cellular industry.  Does industry adherence to a common policy legitimize it?  I think the answer is partly.

At $20 for 20 megs versus $15 per megabyte, you only need to be a little wrong to come out ahead leaving it on an extra month.  As noted earlier, the UK bills very quickly.  If you want to take the gamble, I would lock my phone to 02 when you land.  02 is partially affiliated with ATT and their charges hit your statement quickly.  It is a good bet that if your last day makes your usage list, there will not be any stragglers out there.  If you use all five networks in the UK (skip the virtual networks  for roaming purposes), your chances aren't as good.  Still I think you will be ok.  The UK has a state of the art system and this is a very common roaming path.  I think the charges will beat you home.

Expert

• 

13K Messages

15 years ago

@squishyray wrote:
      In preparation for a two-week trip to London I called to have international data and voice plans added to my account. My desire is to have the plans turned on for the duration of my trip and then remove it upon return.
      I was told that it takes several weeks for AT&T billing to receive the data for my activity while traveling and therefore I must maintain the plan for an additional month. The claim is AT&T's billing system will base the charges on the plan in place when the billing happens *not* when the call is made. This rationale has the affect of forcing me to keep the plan for six weeks when I only need it for two.
      To me this billing method sounds bogus and borderline fraudulent. Has anyone else been told the same? Has anyone used an international plan and successfully terminated it with proper billing?

Unfortunately the info you were given is completely correct, that info is based no delayed billing, international carriers could not transmit the usage data to AT&T for aprox 45 days, then you have to wait for the bill to be printed and sent out to you. and no this is not fraudulent or border line fraudulent unfortunately

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

15 years ago

For the UK, you might want to search the forum as well about UK prepaid options. One of the few bargains in the UK is their prepaid mobile system. If your ATT phone(s) is/are unlocked, this might be an alternative way to go.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

stufried wrote:
For the UK, you might want to search the forum as well about UK prepaid options. One of the few bargains in the UK is their prepaid mobile system. If your ATT phone(s) is/are unlocked, this might be an alternative way to go.

If you ask me, that's the only way to go. In all my travels I haven't once used AT&T roaming, there's always a cheaper alternative. Even global roaming cards are a better deal than AT&T roaming.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

Hi Wilcre,

Thanks for your response.

Your answer assumes AT&T billing does not know my plan history. Imagine what would happen if I traveled abroad with no international plan in place and then enrolled after returning home just before the bill got processed. You think AT&T would honor the plan that was in place at that point? Zero chance.

My point is they should have the facility to know what plan I had when the service was used. Imagine if you filled up with gas but the price was set when your credit card bill was printed not when you made the purchase. Seems absurd, no? Just as it is absurd that AT&T does not have a system in place to retroactively settle charges based on account history. It's suspiciously convenient that the limitation of their billing system works in their favor.

Thanks to the others that suggested I get a SIM card from a different carrier. Unfortunately my phone is locked so that is not a possibility.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

15 years ago

squishyray wrote:
Hi Wilcre,

Your answer assumes AT&T billing does not know my plan history. Imagine what would happen if I traveled abroad with no international plan in place and then enrolled after returning home just before the bill got processed. You think AT&T would honor the plan that was in place at that point? Zero chance.

My point is they should have the facility to know what plan I had when the service was used. Imagine if you filled up with gas but the price was set when your credit card bill was printed not when you made the purchase. Seems absurd, no? Just as it is absurd that AT&T does not have a system in place to retroactively settle charges based on account history. It's suspiciously convenient that the limitation of their billing system works in their favor.

Thanks to the others that suggested I get a SIM card from a different carrier. Unfortunately my phone is locked so that is not a possibility.

Unless you have an iPhone there's a very good chance that AT&T will give you an unlock code (there are a few other requirements, but it doesn't hurt to call and ask).

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

15 years ago

squishyray wrote:
Hi Wilcre,

I absolutely agree with this. I do think it's bogus. But what you or I think doesn't matter to AT&T. Until there's class action suit filed about this, AT&T will continue to do this.

Master

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

The main problem is that a foreign provider can have a delay in telling at&t about your roaming use.  Unfortunately you will be billed at the applicable rate when the charges hit your account and not when the calls actually occured.  It's not entirely fair but that's the way it works with every single carrier in the US that provides overseas roaming services.  That said for the UK it's VERY rare for charges to be delayed more than 1 or 2 days.  Depending on your use you can assume that risk be deciding when to drop the discount plan but don't say you were not warned.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks for the nice explanation, Stufried. If it is industry-wide then I suspect we're truly stuck. I maintain that the policy is unfair and fairness has been all I'm asking. I'm more than willing to pay for my usage but it is not right for carriers to retain this policy when there clearly could be easy technical solutions.

The sad part is the uncertainty they have introduced means I will not even attempt to use the data plan on my trip. So I will not get the functionality I would like and they lose the chance to sell their services.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

The cellular industry is still a very immature industry with variable pricing patterns and restraint of trade everywhere to artificially rip off the customer. That's why I always get a local SIM. Some cost less than 2 cents a minute vs. ATT 1.99. I also have a T-Mobile addon line with voice and data roaming that costs me $25 month with data roaming and $1.00/min calls from Europe. I never use voice because I can get much cheaper calls back to the U.S. with a local SIM.

With the iPhone you have the world's biggest ripoff. Last month I spent most of the month in Europe and had my iPhone off most of the time. I needed to check Google maps once or twice. Cost was $300. Pretty expensive map.

Basically, the iPhone is a brick in Europe and I spent 3 out of 4 weeks a month there! I did find out that I can probably cap my bill at about $150 a month with intl data roaming as long as I don't use more than 50MB.

Just to show I don't think ATT totally sucks (although I would be gone in a flash if another vendor supported the iPhone), I find their international roaming plan for their USB modem for my laptop is reasonably reliable in all the companies in Europe I visit every month (which is most of them). It is not cheap at $129 but at least it works (something that is not always true about the iPhone).
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.