Get the myAT&T app
Justanother's profile

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 4:06 PM

International calling plan?

I have looked around but can't find a feature that allows international calling at a lower rate, is there one? I have friends and relatives in Europe and would like to beable to call them when on the road without needing wifi for skype. Does AT&T only offer international texting plans? My verizon plan had the international one. If they don't where can i find a break down of international rates? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

14 years ago

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/long-distance/in-the-us.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-0026EV-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

Thank you!

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

14 years ago

Justanother, AT&T's rates are downright awful, even with the discount plan. You can find many services that allow you to call a domestic number and then dial out internationally (many not even requiring a PIN, they recognize your number), that cost a fraction of AT&T's rate. Not as convenient as being able to dial directly, but the rates AT&T charges are highway robbery and not worth the added convenience in my opinion. Google Voice is an option, if you can find an invitation (even allows calls to Canada for free), Startec is another one I've used (not prepaid, they bill you for the calls you make), and I'm sure you can find many others. Google Voice charges 2 cents/minute to most countries in Western Europe (landlines only, of course), and you can find comparable rates elsewhere. The lowest rate I see for AT&T with the discount plan is 8 cents/minute to the UK. I don't know about you, but I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee for the priviledge of paying 4x the rate I can find elsewhere.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

14 years ago

@praptis wrote:
Justanother, AT&T's rates are downright awful, even with the discount plan. You can find many services that allow you to call a domestic number and then dial out internationally (many not even requiring a PIN, they recognize your number), that cost a fraction of AT&T's rate. Not as convenient as being able to dial directly, but the rates AT&T charges are highway robbery and not worth the added convenience in my opinion. Google Voice is an option, if you can find an invitation (even allows calls to Canada for free), Startec is another one I've used (not prepaid, they bill you for the calls you make), and I'm sure you can find many others. Google Voice charges 2 cents/minute to most countries in Western Europe (landlines only, of course), and you can find comparable rates elsewhere. The lowest rate I see for AT&T with the discount plan is 8 cents/minute to the UK. I don't know about you, but I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee for the priviledge of paying 4x the rate I can find elsewhere.

AT&T's international calling rates are competitive with other cell providers.  The options you described are completely different types of services, so you are comparing apples to oranges.  Maybe AT&T and other carriers are charging more than they should, but that's a different issue.  Its tiresome hearing people complain about how ATT is such a terrible cell provider.   But then their complaints are about things which all the carriers do.

Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-14-2010 10:49:47 AM

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

14 years ago

Sorry to tire you redpoint73. The original poster was asking about calling internationally from his AT&T phone. I thought it would be helpful to point out that there are easy ways he can bypass the very expensive rates AT&T is charging, as he may not be aware of this option. Note that I didn't suggest he should change carriers to get better international rates; I'm well aware that all of them have similarly expensive rates. Just because everyone is doing it doesn't mean that I'm not going to point this fact out. As for comparing apples and oranges, I would say that using one of these services achieves the same end result, so they are in fact very comparable. It's not like I suggested that he pulls over and uses a payphone rather than using AT&T.

All the AT&T apologists here always suggest, in response to even the smallest issue, that you should vote with your wallet rather than complain. Well, this is one case where you can easily vote with your dollars with minimal inconvenience. Should we not try to help others by offering this option because other carriers are equally expensive?

I never said anything about AT&T being terrible. This is an AT&T forum and presumably we are all AT&T users, so there is not much point in me saying that Verizon's international rates are awful. We're talking about AT&T. If I was a Verizon customer and was responding to a similar question on a Verizon forum my response would be exactly the same.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to the reply on your post.  I very much agreed with and enjoyed your thoughts and careful (or well-written) words.  Both of your posts were very informative and helpful.  I think it takes a lot of courage (moxy?) to stick up for what you believe/say and you did so, I thought, in a very respectful way.  So... thanks.  You also saved me from buying into the international call plan...  Your other suggestion was helpful.  I have no intention of leaving at&t, nor did I consider doing so, upon reading your original board message.  Way to go.  Keep posting!

Scholar

• 

66 Messages

14 years ago

I use calling card service No fee, no tax, cheap rates, can call from any phone

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Check the rate of the country you're call first though to compare. The rate to call Sweden cell on this calling card service is so high that ATT's rate is more attractive.  But it's great to know all different services out there so we as consumers can try to find the best rate. I think it comes down to doing your homework to choose the right choice for you. For me, convenience and decent rates will work just fine (that I don't need to call the call center or enter pin numbers). Thanks for all the great postings!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

I was browsing the net for international calling cards and services with cheap rates to make international calls and I came across this site www.intermarvelous.com. They offer a service where you can make calls straight from your cellphone without a PIN. If you have nationwide calling like I do, this is great. The website looks a bit cheap, but I took a chance and tried the service anyways. I find it's less of a hassle then using calling cards. I started using this service a few weeks ago. They also provide an incentive for referrals and accumulated credit. Just wanted to pass the word.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know that the service is still holding up and now they have added this thing where you can get 10% cashback on the total amount of credit you add for the service. Sound good to me 🙂
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.