International calling plan?

International calling plan?

I have looked around but can't find a feature that allows international calling at a lower rate, is there one? I have friends and relatives in Europe and would like to beable to call them when on the road without needing wifi for skype. Does AT&T only offer international texting plans? My verizon plan had the international one. If they don't where can i find a break down of international rates? 
Message 1 of 24 (152,416 Views)
Contributor

Re: International calling plan?

Try rebtel.com it's dirt cheap. It supports SMS. No connection fee, no VAT. Straightforward charges. 

Message 16 of 24 (16,286 Views)
Teacher

Skype is usually best way to go on international calls from  US.  But instead of roaming you should probably rent a local SIM card if you're going abroad more than a couple days.  I regularly use Piccell wireless and find it the best way to go.

Message 17 of 24 (16,239 Views)
Contributor

Okay.  Number 1 is already a snag.  What's with the not being an iPhone issue?

Message 18 of 24 (15,659 Views)
Community Support

Though this thread is older, it still gets a lot of views so I thought I'd post the link again for International Calling Plans .

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 19 of 24 (3,644 Views)
Contributor

FYI: Military members if your spouse is stationed overseas don't allow them to call you because ATT charges you international rates for incoming calls not just outgoing....that's their policy. I am about to cancel my plan being a military member with a family because basically you are telling me I can't have my husband call me without me having a ridiculous phone bill....thanks for supporting our troops ATT!!!

Message 20 of 24 (2,663 Views)
Guru

When I posted my post in 2010, ATT would not unlock an iPhone -- hence my comments about not using an iPhone. 

Message 21 of 24 (2,595 Views)
Professor

b12201 wrote:

FYI: Military members if your spouse is stationed overseas don't allow them to call you because ATT charges you international rates for incoming calls not just outgoing....that's their policy. I am about to cancel my plan being a military member with a family because basically you are telling me I can't have my husband call me without me having a ridiculous phone bill....thanks for supporting our troops ATT!!!

You don't get charged for incoming calls, regardless of the location of the call's origin (domestic or foreign).  At most, it will just cost you voice minutes.  Unless they are calling you collect or something (which I don't suspect this is the case).  If you are in fact getting charged for incoming long distance call, call AT&T to fix this, as this is likely some kind of billing error.

Message 22 of 24 (2,413 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

My wife and I both have iPhones.  (I also own an unlocked Android for prepaid SIMs).  One of the nice side features as Apple's iMessaging and Facetalk Audio which let you communicate using data only which reduces the price of things.  My brother lives in Australia and his family has iPhones as well and we can communicate (over data) wtihout any regard to international anything and the data consumption doesn't really move the needle.  We are unlimited (with the 5 gig softcap) and even streaming music, Maps (Google/Apple), Siri, and more we don't go over.  

While I generally try to reframe from talking about third party services on a company forum, I can't help but think that TMobile's new offerings are going to force ATT to get even more agressive with their new international offerings.  

Message 23 of 24 (2,385 Views)
Master

stufried wrote:

While I generally try to reframe from talking about third party services on a company forum, I can't help but think that TMobile's new offerings are going to force ATT to get even more agressive with their new international offerings.  

They have made me take a look.  I already ported one line over to try it out.  If AT&T can offer more competetive roaming rates I might come back. 

Message 24 of 24 (2,281 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.