For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
Justanother's profile

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 4:06 PM

International calling plan?

I have looked around but can't find a feature that allows international calling at a lower rate, is there one? I have friends and relatives in Europe and would like to beable to call them when on the road without needing wifi for skype. Does AT&T only offer international texting plans? My verizon plan had the international one. If they don't where can i find a break down of international rates? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

What would be the best route for my daughter who will be going abroad to Europe for about 20 days.  I want her to have the ability to call home as often as she likes.  We currently have the Family Talk Plan but international roaming charges averages about $1.29 per minute.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

Unfortunately, this service is only good for making international calls from North America. She should check ebay for "international sim cards", but her phone must be unlocked. If not, she can use calling cards from Europe.

Master

• 

2.4K Messages

14 years ago

@Koko23 wrote:

Unfortunately, this service is only good for making international calls from North America. She should check ebay for "international sim cards", but her phone must be unlocked. If not, she can use calling cards from Europe.

That is not accurate as written.  Most AT&T phones will work outstandingly well all over the world.  The cost is another issue.  The best you can hope for with at&t is to add the world traveler discount plan which is $5.99 per month on the months when you need it.  That will bring the cost down to $0.99 in most EU countries.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

14 years ago

1. Confirm her phone will work in France and that it is not an iPhone;
  2. Unlock the phone by calling Customer Support requesting the unlock codes (telling them that it is to use the phone in France);
  3. Hire a SIM from:
  4. http://www.rebelfone.com/france_simcards.aspx?couId=60
  5. Sign up for a calling card through http://www.rebtel.com/en/Cheap-Calls/France/ (no relation to rebelfone).
  6. Have your daughter send you a text message (or call you) and immediately call her back.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Try rebtel.com it's dirt cheap. It supports SMS. No connection fee, no VAT. Straightforward charges. 

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

14 years ago

Skype is usually best way to go on international calls from  US.  But instead of roaming you should probably rent a local SIM card if you're going abroad more than a couple days.  I regularly use Piccell wireless and find it the best way to go.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

Okay.  Number 1 is already a snag.  What's with the not being an iPhone issue?

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

Though this thread is older, it still gets a lot of views so I thought I'd post the link again for International Calling Plans .

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

FYI: Military members if your spouse is stationed overseas don't allow them to call you because ATT charges you international rates for incoming calls not just outgoing....that's their policy. I am about to cancel my plan being a military member with a family because basically you are telling me I can't have my husband call me without me having a ridiculous phone bill....thanks for supporting our troops ATT!!!

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

When I posted my post in 2010, ATT would not unlock an iPhone -- hence my comments about not using an iPhone. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.