Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 13, 2010
8:06:02 AM
International calling plan?
I have looked around but can't find a feature that allows international calling at a lower rate, is there one? I have friends and relatives in Europe and would like to beable to call them when on the road without needing wifi for skype. Does AT&T only offer international texting plans? My verizon plan had the international one. If they don't where can i find a break down of international rates? 
I have looked around but can't find a feature that allows international calling at a lower rate, is there one? I have friends and relatives in Europe and would like to beable to call them when on the road without needing wifi for skype. Does AT&T only offer international texting plans? My verizon plan had the international one. If they don't where can i find a break down of international rates? 
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 13, 2010 8:50:28 AM
(0)
Guru
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/long-distance/in-the-us.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-0026EV-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction
Accepted Solution

International calling plan?

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 13, 2010 8:50:28 AM
(0)
Guru
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/long-distance/in-the-us.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-0026EV-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction

Re: International calling plan?

2 of 24 (152,185 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2010 9:27:05 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thank you!
Thank you!

3 of 24 (152,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2010 1:15:52 PM
(0)
Mentor
Justanother, AT&T's rates are downright awful, even with the discount plan. You can find many services that allow you to call a domestic number and then dial out internationally (many not even requiring a PIN, they recognize your number), that cost a fraction of AT&T's rate. Not as convenient as being able to dial directly, but the rates AT&T charges are highway robbery and not worth the added convenience in my opinion. Google Voice is an option, if you can find an invitation (even allows calls to Canada for free), Startec is another one I've used (not prepaid, they bill you for the calls you make), and I'm sure you can find many others. Google Voice charges 2 cents/minute to most countries in Western Europe (landlines only, of course), and you can find comparable rates elsewhere. The lowest rate I see for AT&T with the discount plan is 8 cents/minute to the UK. I don't know about you, but I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee for the priviledge of paying 4x the rate I can find elsewhere.
Justanother, AT&T's rates are downright awful, even with the discount plan. You can find many services that allow you to call a domestic number and then dial out internationally (many not even requiring a PIN, they recognize your number), that cost a fraction of AT&T's rate. Not as convenient as being able to dial directly, but the rates AT&T charges are highway robbery and not worth the added convenience in my opinion. Google Voice is an option, if you can find an invitation (even allows calls to Canada for free), Startec is another one I've used (not prepaid, they bill you for the calls you make), and I'm sure you can find many others. Google Voice charges 2 cents/minute to most countries in Western Europe (landlines only, of course), and you can find comparable rates elsewhere. The lowest rate I see for AT&T with the discount plan is 8 cents/minute to the UK. I don't know about you, but I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee for the priviledge of paying 4x the rate I can find elsewhere.

4 of 24 (152,125 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2010 10:49:30 AM
(1)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jan 14, 2010 at 10:49:47 AM

praptis wrote:

AT&T's international calling rates are competitive with other cell providers.  The options you described are completely different types of services, so you are comparing apples to oranges.  Maybe AT&T and other carriers are charging more than they should, but that's a different issue.  Its tiresome hearing people complain about how ATT is such a terrible cell provider.   But then their complaints are about things which all the carriers do.

Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-14-2010 10:49:47 AM

praptis wrote:

AT&T's international calling rates are competitive with other cell providers.  The options you described are completely different types of services, so you are comparing apples to oranges.  Maybe AT&T and other carriers are charging more than they should, but that's a different issue.  Its tiresome hearing people complain about how ATT is such a terrible cell provider.   But then their complaints are about things which all the carriers do.

Message Edited by redpoint73 on 01-14-2010 10:49:47 AM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
5 of 24 (152,022 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2010 11:19:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

Sorry to tire you redpoint73. The original poster was asking about calling internationally from his AT&T phone. I thought it would be helpful to point out that there are easy ways he can bypass the very expensive rates AT&T is charging, as he may not be aware of this option. Note that I didn't suggest he should change carriers to get better international rates; I'm well aware that all of them have similarly expensive rates. Just because everyone is doing it doesn't mean that I'm not going to point this fact out. As for comparing apples and oranges, I would say that using one of these services achieves the same end result, so they are in fact very comparable. It's not like I suggested that he pulls over and uses a payphone rather than using AT&T.

All the AT&T apologists here always suggest, in response to even the smallest issue, that you should vote with your wallet rather than complain. Well, this is one case where you can easily vote with your dollars with minimal inconvenience. Should we not try to help others by offering this option because other carriers are equally expensive?

I never said anything about AT&T being terrible. This is an AT&T forum and presumably we are all AT&T users, so there is not much point in me saying that Verizon's international rates are awful. We're talking about AT&T. If I was a Verizon customer and was responding to a similar question on a Verizon forum my response would be exactly the same.

Sorry to tire you redpoint73. The original poster was asking about calling internationally from his AT&T phone. I thought it would be helpful to point out that there are easy ways he can bypass the very expensive rates AT&T is charging, as he may not be aware of this option. Note that I didn't suggest he should change carriers to get better international rates; I'm well aware that all of them have similarly expensive rates. Just because everyone is doing it doesn't mean that I'm not going to point this fact out. As for comparing apples and oranges, I would say that using one of these services achieves the same end result, so they are in fact very comparable. It's not like I suggested that he pulls over and uses a payphone rather than using AT&T.

All the AT&T apologists here always suggest, in response to even the smallest issue, that you should vote with your wallet rather than complain. Well, this is one case where you can easily vote with your dollars with minimal inconvenience. Should we not try to help others by offering this option because other carriers are equally expensive?

I never said anything about AT&T being terrible. This is an AT&T forum and presumably we are all AT&T users, so there is not much point in me saying that Verizon's international rates are awful. We're talking about AT&T. If I was a Verizon customer and was responding to a similar question on a Verizon forum my response would be exactly the same.

6 of 24 (152,017 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2010 10:37:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to the reply on your post.  I very much agreed with and enjoyed your thoughts and careful (or well-written) words.  Both of your posts were very informative and helpful.  I think it takes a lot of courage (moxy?) to stick up for what you believe/say and you did so, I thought, in a very respectful way.  So... thanks.  You also saved me from buying into the international call plan...  Your other suggestion was helpful.  I have no intention of leaving at&t, nor did I consider doing so, upon reading your original board message.  Way to go.  Keep posting!
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to the reply on your post.  I very much agreed with and enjoyed your thoughts and careful (or well-written) words.  Both of your posts were very informative and helpful.  I think it takes a lot of courage (moxy?) to stick up for what you believe/say and you did so, I thought, in a very respectful way.  So... thanks.  You also saved me from buying into the international call plan...  Your other suggestion was helpful.  I have no intention of leaving at&t, nor did I consider doing so, upon reading your original board message.  Way to go.  Keep posting!

7 of 24 (150,725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2010 3:55:24 PM
(0)
Scholar
I use calling card service No fee, no tax, cheap rates, can call from any phone
I use calling card service No fee, no tax, cheap rates, can call from any phone

8 of 24 (150,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2010 10:14:00 AM
(0)
Contributor
Check the rate of the country you're call first though to compare. The rate to call Sweden cell on this calling card service is so high that ATT's rate is more attractive.  But it's great to know all different services out there so we as consumers can try to find the best rate. I think it comes down to doing your homework to choose the right choice for you. For me, convenience and decent rates will work just fine (that I don't need to call the call center or enter pin numbers). Thanks for all the great postings!
Check the rate of the country you're call first though to compare. The rate to call Sweden cell on this calling card service is so high that ATT's rate is more attractive.  But it's great to know all different services out there so we as consumers can try to find the best rate. I think it comes down to doing your homework to choose the right choice for you. For me, convenience and decent rates will work just fine (that I don't need to call the call center or enter pin numbers). Thanks for all the great postings!

9 of 24 (150,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 11, 2010 4:35:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was browsing the net for international calling cards and services with cheap rates to make international calls and I came across this site www.intermarvelous.com. They offer a service where you can make calls straight from your cellphone without a PIN. If you have nationwide calling like I do, this is great. The website looks a bit cheap, but I took a chance and tried the service anyways. I find it's less of a hassle then using calling cards. I started using this service a few weeks ago. They also provide an incentive for referrals and accumulated credit. Just wanted to pass the word.

I was browsing the net for international calling cards and services with cheap rates to make international calls and I came across this site www.intermarvelous.com. They offer a service where you can make calls straight from your cellphone without a PIN. If you have nationwide calling like I do, this is great. The website looks a bit cheap, but I took a chance and tried the service anyways. I find it's less of a hassle then using calling cards. I started using this service a few weeks ago. They also provide an incentive for referrals and accumulated credit. Just wanted to pass the word.

10 of 24 (148,470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2010 8:22:53 PM
(0)
Contributor
Just wanted to let everyone know that the service is still holding up and now they have added this thing where you can get 10% cashback on the total amount of credit you add for the service. Sound good to me Smiley Happy
Just wanted to let everyone know that the service is still holding up and now they have added this thing where you can get 10% cashback on the total amount of credit you add for the service. Sound good to me Smiley Happy

11 of 24 (17,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 7:51:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

What would be the best route for my daughter who will be going abroad to Europe for about 20 days.  I want her to have the ability to call home as often as she likes.  We currently have the Family Talk Plan but international roaming charges averages about $1.29 per minute.  

What would be the best route for my daughter who will be going abroad to Europe for about 20 days.  I want her to have the ability to call home as often as she likes.  We currently have the Family Talk Plan but international roaming charges averages about $1.29 per minute.  

12 of 24 (16,790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 8:28:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

Unfortunately, this service is only good for making international calls from North America. She should check ebay for "international sim cards", but her phone must be unlocked. If not, she can use calling cards from Europe.

Unfortunately, this service is only good for making international calls from North America. She should check ebay for "international sim cards", but her phone must be unlocked. If not, she can use calling cards from Europe.

13 of 24 (16,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 10:11:28 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by DWC1 on May 7, 2010 at 10:14:23 AM

Koko23 wrote:

That is not accurate as written.  Most AT&T phones will work outstandingly well all over the world.  The cost is another issue.  The best you can hope for with at&t is to add the world traveler discount plan which is $5.99 per month on the months when you need it.  That will bring the cost down to $0.99 in most EU countries.

Koko23 wrote:

That is not accurate as written.  Most AT&T phones will work outstandingly well all over the world.  The cost is another issue.  The best you can hope for with at&t is to add the world traveler discount plan which is $5.99 per month on the months when you need it.  That will bring the cost down to $0.99 in most EU countries.

[ Edited ]
14 of 24 (16,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2010 10:33:30 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by stufried on May 8, 2010 at 10:39:56 AM
  1. Confirm her phone will work in France and that it is not an iPhone;
  2. Unlock the phone by calling Customer Support requesting the unlock codes (telling them that it is to use the phone in France);
  3. Hire a SIM from:
  4. http://www.rebelfone.com/france_simcards.aspx?couId=60
  5. Sign up for a calling card through http://www.rebtel.com/en/Cheap-Calls/France/ (no relation to rebelfone).
  6. Have your daughter send you a text message (or call you) and immediately call her back.
  1. Confirm her phone will work in France and that it is not an iPhone;
  2. Unlock the phone by calling Customer Support requesting the unlock codes (telling them that it is to use the phone in France);
  3. Hire a SIM from:
  4. http://www.rebelfone.com/france_simcards.aspx?couId=60
  5. Sign up for a calling card through http://www.rebtel.com/en/Cheap-Calls/France/ (no relation to rebelfone).
  6. Have your daughter send you a text message (or call you) and immediately call her back.

[ Edited ]
15 of 24 (16,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 5:24:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

Try rebtel.com it's dirt cheap. It supports SMS. No connection fee, no VAT. Straightforward charges. 

Try rebtel.com it's dirt cheap. It supports SMS. No connection fee, no VAT. Straightforward charges. 

16 of 24 (16,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2010 2:01:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

Skype is usually best way to go on international calls from  US.  But instead of roaming you should probably rent a local SIM card if you're going abroad more than a couple days.  I regularly use Piccell wireless and find it the best way to go.

Skype is usually best way to go on international calls from  US.  But instead of roaming you should probably rent a local SIM card if you're going abroad more than a couple days.  I regularly use Piccell wireless and find it the best way to go.

17 of 24 (16,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 1:04:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Okay.  Number 1 is already a snag.  What's with the not being an iPhone issue?

Okay.  Number 1 is already a snag.  What's with the not being an iPhone issue?

18 of 24 (15,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2013 7:30:55 AM
(0)
Community Support

Though this thread is older, it still gets a lot of views so I thought I'd post the link again for International Calling Plans .

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Though this thread is older, it still gets a lot of views so I thought I'd post the link again for International Calling Plans .

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

19 of 24 (3,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2013 4:34:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

FYI: Military members if your spouse is stationed overseas don't allow them to call you because ATT charges you international rates for incoming calls not just outgoing....that's their policy. I am about to cancel my plan being a military member with a family because basically you are telling me I can't have my husband call me without me having a ridiculous phone bill....thanks for supporting our troops ATT!!!

FYI: Military members if your spouse is stationed overseas don't allow them to call you because ATT charges you international rates for incoming calls not just outgoing....that's their policy. I am about to cancel my plan being a military member with a family because basically you are telling me I can't have my husband call me without me having a ridiculous phone bill....thanks for supporting our troops ATT!!!

20 of 24 (2,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2013 7:51:18 PM
(0)
Guru

When I posted my post in 2010, ATT would not unlock an iPhone -- hence my comments about not using an iPhone. 

When I posted my post in 2010, ATT would not unlock an iPhone -- hence my comments about not using an iPhone. 

21 of 24 (2,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 12:32:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

b12201 wrote:

You don't get charged for incoming calls, regardless of the location of the call's origin (domestic or foreign).  At most, it will just cost you voice minutes.  Unless they are calling you collect or something (which I don't suspect this is the case).  If you are in fact getting charged for incoming long distance call, call AT&T to fix this, as this is likely some kind of billing error.

b12201 wrote:

You don't get charged for incoming calls, regardless of the location of the call's origin (domestic or foreign).  At most, it will just cost you voice minutes.  Unless they are calling you collect or something (which I don't suspect this is the case).  If you are in fact getting charged for incoming long distance call, call AT&T to fix this, as this is likely some kind of billing error.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

22 of 24 (2,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2013 8:49:49 AM
(0)
Guru

My wife and I both have iPhones.  (I also own an unlocked Android for prepaid SIMs).  One of the nice side features as Apple's iMessaging and Facetalk Audio which let you communicate using data only which reduces the price of things.  My brother lives in Australia and his family has iPhones as well and we can communicate (over data) wtihout any regard to international anything and the data consumption doesn't really move the needle.  We are unlimited (with the 5 gig softcap) and even streaming music, Maps (Google/Apple), Siri, and more we don't go over.  

While I generally try to reframe from talking about third party services on a company forum, I can't help but think that TMobile's new offerings are going to force ATT to get even more agressive with their new international offerings.  

My wife and I both have iPhones.  (I also own an unlocked Android for prepaid SIMs).  One of the nice side features as Apple's iMessaging and Facetalk Audio which let you communicate using data only which reduces the price of things.  My brother lives in Australia and his family has iPhones as well and we can communicate (over data) wtihout any regard to international anything and the data consumption doesn't really move the needle.  We are unlimited (with the 5 gig softcap) and even streaming music, Maps (Google/Apple), Siri, and more we don't go over.  

While I generally try to reframe from talking about third party services on a company forum, I can't help but think that TMobile's new offerings are going to force ATT to get even more agressive with their new international offerings.  

23 of 24 (2,204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2013 4:12:53 PM
(0)
Master

stufried wrote:

They have made me take a look.  I already ported one line over to try it out.  If AT&T can offer more competetive roaming rates I might come back. 

stufried wrote:

They have made me take a look.  I already ported one line over to try it out.  If AT&T can offer more competetive roaming rates I might come back. 

24 of 24 (2,100 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments