Get the myAT&T app
kdknc14's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, June 22nd, 2017 1:20 PM

International Passport Plan - Still in US

Hi, I've purchased the Passport plan to allow me to have some data on an international trip. I've activated it early so that I could download the global wireless app in the States. As I'm not going to actually leave the US for a couple of days, I was wondering if the data I use counts towards my passport allowance (200mb)? Or does it count towards my normal data allowance (15gb) because I'm inside the US? Will it only count towards my passport when I'm outside the US?

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@kdknc14 It's a separate pool of data.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks! So I'll only use up the passport data when I'm outside the US? Good
to know!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

-

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@kdknc14 When traveling internationally, I also recommend the GALILEO map app. If you download your MAP in advance and only use the downloaded map, you won't use any data with the app. The free version works fine, the pay version has extra features.

It's especially helpful to have a map if you lose you cellular connection since this one will  have the map preloaded for you. I use this map app for hiking where I have no cellular coverage in the US and in Costa Rica.

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the info -- I'm also gong to travel abroad in a few weeks and will look into the GALILEO app.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Be selective using that global wireless app. We've seen many complaints about the app using up all the passport data trying to find a global wifi hotspot. There are not a lot of global hotspots. Don't waste what little bit of data you get trying to find them.

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

7 years ago

@kdknc14  Check your apps to insure that they will not use data with your knowledge or turn use data off  Mail may be pushed when data is turned on.  Friend of mine forgot that and had an unpleasant surprise when he got back to US.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Fl_retire wrote:

@kdknc14  Check your apps to insure that they will not use data with your knowledge or turn use data off  Mail may be pushed when data is turned on.  Friend of mine forgot that and had an unpleasant surprise when he got back to US.

My rule of thumb is to leave data roaming turned off and only turn it on when I want to use data, then turn it back off. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.