Explore & discover

Helpful Links

International Day Pass question

Contributor

International Day Pass question

My husband and I just signed up for a mobile share plan, and he added the International Day Pass as we're planning a trip to Canada in a few weeks. We also regularly visit a town that borders Canada without crossing the border. I understand that I can turn off the day pass on my phone or turn on airplane mode to avoid the charge. However, I'm somewhat confused as to what actually triggers the charge. Is it enough if my phone simply connects to a Canadian tower, or does it actually have to have use (for example, a text, a phone call, or data usage)? I understand incoming calls/texts would count as usage, as well as outgoing. I'm just concerned that even being in the vicinity of a tower would do it... Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎02-18-2018 4:33 AM

Re: International Day Pass question

If you have a current plan, or any of the last 3 plans, roaming in Canada can be added free.  This means you may be able to use your existing plan in Canada.  Please call ATT and have the North American roaming added to your lines.

and then please TURN OFF day pass.  Day pass will override any other roaming plan and ATT will not refund.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 7
Contributor

Yes, it is a current plan, and that sounds awesome. I could see the day pass adding up charges quickly with a multi-day trip. Thank you so much!

Message 3 of 7
ACE - Expert

However, to answer your question if you are not able to add free Canada roaming...simply connecting to a Canadian carrier does not trigger the daily charge. Some sort of billable usage, call, text or data is required to trigger the charge. If you have data roaming off, it would take a call or a sent text message as incoming messages do not trigger the daily charge.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7
Contributor

I have enabled International Day Pass on my account.

I just spoke with a representative at AT&T and she said that "anything which triggers the phone overseas will result in a $10 charge per day". "triggering the phone" apparently includes "registering with a cell tower overseas, using data, sending or receiving a text message", and "the only way to prevent triggering the phone" was to go into airplane mode, or turn the phone off.

Specifically, I think this is different from other carriers. What I'd like to know is this:

- I am overseas, I have my phone on.

- Data roaming is DISABLED

In that condition: If I receive a text message, do I get charged for the day? I don't reply - I just receive a text ...

In that condition: If I receive a call - I don't answer it, I do nothing - do I get charged for the day?

I assume that answering the call, making a call, or sending a text message all count as using the service and will result in a charge.

So putting it succinctly would someone answer Yes or No to the things on the list below:

- Using Data (data roaming): Charged

- Making a call : Charged

- Sending a text: Charged

- Receiving a text: ?

- Phone rings - call not answered: ?

Thank you

Message 5 of 7
ACE - Expert

In that condition: If I receive a text message, do I get charged for the day? I don't reply - I just receive a text ... No. An incoming text message will not trigger the charge.

In that condition: If I receive a call - I don't answer it, I do nothing - do I get charged for the day? Maybe. It all depends on the foreign carrier and whether or not they report the call. In my experience, the longer the call rings, the greater the chance it will be charged.

I assume that answering the call, making a call, or sending a text message all count as using the service and will result in a charge. Yes.

So putting it succinctly would someone answer Yes or No to the things on the list below:

- Using Data (data roaming): Charged Yes

- Making a call : Charged Yes

- Sending a text: Charged Yes

- Receiving a text: ? No

- Phone rings - call not answered: ? Maybe

Message 6 of 7
Contributor

Thank you Sandblaster. Based on your other answers, I understand the rationale. If incoming calls are free (in that foreign country) an unanswered incoming call may be free.

Thanks for the quick response.
Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support