Get the myAT&T app
bzv143's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, September 22nd, 2017 6:04 PM

International $10 a day plan

I am traveling to Japan for 12 days next week and wondering how the $10 a day International Plan works. Does it go by the country's time or my hometown time for charging? If I use it one day but not the next, am I only charged for the one day? Do I keep my phone on Airplane mode when not using? Or turn off cellular data? How do I make sure apps on my phone are not using data in the background? Sorry for sounding so dumb but I do need help.  😕

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

It does not go by calendar day. Once you have usage on your phone that triggers the $10 charge, all usage for the next 24 hours is covered. Any usage after that triggers another $10 charge and another 24 hours of usage. Yes, best way to avoid any usage is airplane mode but data roaming off will prevent any data usage. With data roaming off, the only usage that would trigger the $10 charge is sending a text message (received texts do not trigger the charge) or any phone calls.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@bzv143

FYI Japan has fantastic free wifi in most cities and populated places.   My son used FB messenger to text home over the public wifi and kept his phone in airplane mode with wifi on the entire trip.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Either Airplane Mode OR WiFi, right? Airplane turns off everything. Also, If I turn Cellular Data off, then I can only use my phone on WiFi, right? 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Airplane mode turns off all radios, cellular and wifi. When you put the phone in airplane mode, you have to turn wifi back on. With that setting, your phone can only use wifi. If you just have cellular data off, your phone can't use cellular data but it can still call or text. If your phone has wifi calling, just stick to airplane mode with wifi on. With wifi calling, you can call and text without any roaming charges.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

OMG! I just learned something new! I feel sooooo stupid. I never know I could do this!!! MANY thanks!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

One last question, then. If I turn cellular data off but can still receive phone calls and texts, then the $10 International Data Plan kicks in, but at least the apps are not running in the background to eat up data/minutes? Is this correct?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@bzv143 wrote:

One last question, then. If I turn cellular data off but can still receive phone calls and texts, then the $10 International Data Plan kicks in, but at least the apps are not running in the background to eat up data/minutes? Is this correct?

Yes but remember receiving a text does not trigger the $10 day plan charge.

• 

1 Message

@sandblaster - I am traveling to Costa Rica Thursday & have the $10 international plan set up. Should I cancel it if what you are advising would make it unnecessary to pay those daily charges? I also have an apple watch...leave it home or will it work along with my phone?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

I wouldn’t cancel the day pass. If you never activate it, you won’t be charged but it protects you from accidentally running up a big bill. Your Apple Watch won’t roam, so no problem bringing it with you. As long as it is connected to your iPhone on Bluetooth, it should work as it normally does.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.