Incoming International calls on iPhone showing number as "blocked"

Contributor

Incoming International calls on iPhone showing number as "blocked"

Is there any reason other than purposely blocking a number why an international incoming call would show up as a blocked number.  This has happened while in Germany and now in China. Used to have a blackberry but now have an iPhone. Has happened just with the iPhone....don't know if that has a reason or not.

Message 1 of 4 (4,264 Views)
Guru
Solution
Accepted by topic author Laciemay1234
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Incoming International calls on iPhone showing number as "blocked"

About 1/3  of the time, international calls show up with bad caller-ids.  There are a lot of places where the data can get dropped.  Just as importantly, some calling card services don't pass on caller-id.  In China in particular, there are a number of unlicensed VOIP based calling card services.  They are very popular and much cheaper than the official way to call.  

Message 2 of 4 (4,245 Views)

Same thing happened to me but it doesn't always show as a blocked # - sometimes it just shows like a # from a different state when i get a call from france
Message 3 of 4 (4,006 Views)
Professor

They will often come up as "unknown" when I'm travelling abroad.  I'm guessing that something gets lost in translation going from the US phone system to other places.

Message 4 of 4 (3,938 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.