Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Tutor

Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Hello everyone,

I'm considering ditching my grandfathered plan but don't want to go to unlimited choice and get capped @ 1.5 MBps for video.  Does anyone know if there is any capping on the grandfathered plan vs the unlimited plus?  If not, it would be cheaper to just keep the old plan..... 


Thanks

163,774 Views
Message 1 of 211
ACE - Expert

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan


@collegeboy wrote:
THe current bill WITH taxes is $269 for 3 lines.

Does that include phone costs? Insurance? Other features?

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 196 of 211
Contributor

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

I have an old unlimited plan with 40 roll over and unlimited text that is running me $137.23

(450 Rollover= $39.99, Unlimited messaging w/ mobile to mobile calling= $20.00 & Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM= $45.00)

 

I also have a second line that runs me $46.50 (lowest shared data plan)

 

My monthly bill averages about $215-$223.

 

I never have problems with my data but I hardly use it as much as I used to.  I used to stream music all day and night but have a different job now and my data is typically social media browsing and other misc internet needs.  I don't stream video too much but my husband (on the limited plan) does.

 

Whats the play?  Ive been told I cant change the GF Unlimited plan at all (meaning I cant drop the 450 rollover OR the messaging that also includes phone calls) which is weird.  I need to get this bill down.

 
Message 197 of 211
ACE - Sage

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

@janaewilliams

Of course you can change plans.  Att has always allowed customers to change to current plans 

Unlimited plans: 

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

Metered plans. https://www.att.com/plans/wireless/mobile-share-plus.html

dont know why you were told you can’t change.  

2 lines on the premium plan is $150 for service only.  Add tax and installments.  Note the freebies.  

 

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 198 of 211
Contributor

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

I wasn't told I couldn't change plans, I was told that I had to keep paying for each other three main charges (450 rollover, unlimited messaging w/ mobile to mobile AND unlimited data) In a perfect world, I would like to eliminate the 450 rollover and keep the messaging and data but that is not allowed.

 

If I change to the newer unlimited plan, what will change?  I know people say "nothing, same thing but cheaper" but I just don't believe that.  I know of people who have HATED their phone after making changes to the new unlimited plans and have changed service because of it.  

 

Should I keep what I have, change both to unlimited or change provider?  (Ps- im also hoping to upgrade to an iPhone xs plus in the new year.  I remember when "upgrade" used to mean something but I guess it doesn't now"

Message 199 of 211
ACE - Sage

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan


@janaewilliams wrote:

I wasn't told I couldn't change plans, I was told that I had to keep paying for each other three main charges (450 rollover, unlimited messaging w/ mobile to mobile AND unlimited data) In a perfect world, I would like to eliminate the 450 rollover and keep the messaging and data but that is not allowed.

 

If I change to the newer unlimited plan, what will change?  I know people say "nothing, same thing but cheaper" but I just don't believe that.  I know of people who have HATED their phone after making changes to the new unlimited plans and have changed service because of it.  

 

Should I keep what I have, change both to unlimited or change provider?  (Ps- im also hoping to upgrade to an iPhone xs plus in the new year.  I remember when "upgrade" used to mean something but I guess it doesn't now"


Ah, correct.  You have phones, you must pay for a compatible plan.  Your plan the the nationwide 450.  It’s the minimum plan required if you have phones.  Only data only devices can be on data only plans, which are not offered on postpaid.  

 

All newer plans include unlimited talk and text.   (I mean all carriers)

 

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 200 of 211
Contributor

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Yeah I figured as much.  So, Im comparing $220 to $150 plus taxes? Both of our phones are paid for so their is currently no installment plan. 

 

Can someone comment of if they have done this switch (or something similar) and how they felt about it afterwards?  As far as service, charges, etc? Were you happy you did it? Do you wish you hadn't? Please explain.

 

Thank you!

Message 201 of 211
ACE - Expert

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

@janaewilliams I just made the switch today, did it online. My bill should go down after all discounts are included but I won’t know for sure until my next bill. I can say that signing up for the included WatchTV and the free premium service was simple. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 202 of 211
ACE - Expert

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan


@janaewilliams wrote:

I have an old unlimited plan with 40 roll over and unlimited text that is running me $137.23

(450 Rollover= $39.99, Unlimited messaging w/ mobile to mobile calling= $20.00 & Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM= $45.00)

 I also have a second line that runs me $46.50 (lowest shared data plan)

My monthly bill averages about $215-$223.

 You definitely should switch to a newer unlimited plan!

 

When I add up those numbers, I only get to $183, is there a phone on there too?

 

 

Ive been told I cant change the GF Unlimited plan at all (meaning I cant drop the 450 rollover OR the messaging that also includes phone calls) which is weird.  I need to get this bill down.


You can certainly change FROM that plan, but you probably can't make many changes TO that ancient plan (add lines, change minutes, etc.).

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 203 of 211
ACE - Expert

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan


@janaewilliams wrote:

Can someone comment of if they have done this switch (or something similar) and how they felt about it afterwards?  As far as service, charges, etc? Were you happy you did it? Do you wish you hadn't? Please explain.

I was on the 700-minute ancient unlimited plan, I'm on unlimited plus now. I've noticed no difference (I was on a 20GB plan between those two, again, no difference in service/speeds). 

 

I use my laptop on the free hotspot all the time, I spend more time near the Canadian border and have more service now since I have Canada roaming and HBO!

 

 

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 204 of 211
Contributor

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Gary,

 

Are you an AT&T employee or Independent Contractor? Seems like it. 

 

 

 

 

Message 205 of 211
ACE - Expert

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan


@icetrucker wrote:

Are you an AT&T employee or Independent Contractor? Seems like it. 

No.

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 206 of 211
Highlighted
ACE - Sage

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

@icetrucker

All employees or CSRs are clearly identified under their screen name.  The Aces are customers with a geek gene, who are interested in a particular topic.  I have a fondness for cellular devices and how things work.  Both Gary and I have a teaching background (he 2 legged, me 4 legged and their humans). 

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 207 of 211
Contributor

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Read through a lot of this and some of the information is misleading.

 

As far as the grandfathered unlimited goes, the legalities were simple. The carriers tried to cap, throttle, re-prioritize which was, in plain terms, a breach of contract (that long piece of paper you signed at the AT&T store). That went to court (whether being fought still or not), the carriers were told that they were to be held to that contract. Which means unlimited is unlimited (no throttling, no re-prioritizing, etc.). The new contracts (plans) do specify the throttling and re-prioritization so when you change from the grandfathered, the carrier can in fact do what they want. This is the real reason they are so desperate to get everyone off the grandfathered plans. Also why they keep raising prices (if unlimited is unlimited and there's no difference the cost is the same) and offering what looks to be a better deal. Once they have you off the plan, they can change their plans, services, etc. at will since these new plans abide by the new terms of service that say so.

 

Despite what the Fanboys here, or the AT&T person, state, if you're grandfathered on the truly unlimited and rely heavily on your data, you will lose out. If you're not using that much data, not in a heavily congested area, and really need the hotspot, then go ahead.

 

I'm on the old 450 rollover & unlimited data. I also added the unlimited talk and text for before my FAN discount I'm at $104.99. The new Unlimited Premium plan would cost $90 ($80 with auto-pay & paper-free). That all being said I'd save $2.50 cents a month (unless I auto-pay) so it's not worth it. I believe the $80 may also require a contract term of 2yrs (couldn't really understand the person in the Philippines when I called to double check all this). 

Message 208 of 211
ACE - Expert

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan


@RoiDesRoi wrote:

As far as the grandfathered unlimited goes, the legalities were simple. The carriers tried to cap, throttle, re-prioritize which was, in plain terms, a breach of contract (that long piece of paper you signed at the AT&T store). That went to court (whether being fought still or not), the carriers were told that they were to be held to that contract. Which means unlimited is unlimited (no throttling, no re-prioritizing, etc.). The new contracts (plans) do specify the throttling and re-prioritization so when you change from the grandfathered, the carrier can in fact do what they want. This is the real reason they are so desperate to get everyone off the grandfathered plans. 

AT&T has changed contracts multiple times in the past, as a result, people were able to get out of their contracts for free (and keep their phones).

As you're likely not on a contract right now, I can't think of any reason AT&T can't change that any way they want. They raised prices on it 3-times too.

 

Also why they keep raising prices (if unlimited is unlimited and there's no difference the cost is the same) and offering what looks to be a better deal. Once they have you off the plan, they can change their plans, services, etc. at will since these new plans abide by the new terms of service that say so.

If as you say the prices are pretty much the same, then aren't the cost increases they've had are what got them to be pretty much the same?

 

Regardless, if people are hanging on to older plans, why wouldn't you keep raising prices? You've shown that you're more than willing to pay it. If I wanted you off the old plans, I'd raise prices every year!

 

Getting you off the old plans makes sense, new customer support people don't understand the 10+ year old plans, they're billed differently and have minutes, get everyone on the newer plans and customer support will be easier to run.

 

Despite what the Fanboys here, or the AT&T person, state, if you're grandfathered on the truly unlimited and rely heavily on your data, you will lose out.

In what way?

Your old contract has expired a long time ago.

 

I'm on the old 450 rollover & unlimited data. I also added the unlimited talk and text for before my FAN discount I'm at $104.99. The new Unlimited Premium plan would cost $90 ($80 with auto-pay & paper-free). That all being said I'd save $2.50 cents a month (unless I auto-pay) so it's not worth it. I believe the $80 may also require a contract term of 2yrs (couldn't really understand the person in the Philippines when I called to double check all this). 


I used to be on the 700-minute version of that plan, I've had a few plans since then (MSV 20GB, MSV 10GB, Unlimited Plus) and I've never noticed speed differences or restrictions between the accounts (other than the obvious).

 

No contract is required to change plans. 

You could get the $10 auto-pay and request a $10 loyalty discount. That'd make it $25 less.

You'd get hotspot (high complaints on this throughout the years) and roaming in Canada/Mexico.

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 209 of 211
ACE - Expert

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

That went to court (whether being fought still or not), the carriers were told that they were to be held to that contract. Which means unlimited is unlimited (no throttling, no re-prioritizing, etc.).

@RoiDesRoi No court ever told ATT or any carrier that they could not throttle or reprioritize. They were taken to court for not adequately notifying customers about the throttling, not for actually throttling. That grandfathered unlimited plan you have is subject to the same 22GB threshold for reprioritization as each newer plan. If you aren’t getting slowed on your old plan, you shouldn’t get slowed on the new plan either. Reprioritization is based on network congestion, not what plan you have. Even if the new plan only saves you $2.50, it’s worth it to switch in my opinion. In addition to the extras @Gary L mentioned, there is also Watch TV and the free premium extra.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 210 of 211
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support