Get the myAT&T app
uede915's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 21st, 2017 9:24 PM

Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Hello everyone,

I'm considering ditching my grandfathered plan but don't want to go to unlimited choice and get capped @ 1.5 MBps for video.  Does anyone know if there is any capping on the grandfathered plan vs the unlimited plus?  If not, it would be cheaper to just keep the old plan..... 

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@janaewilliams I just made the switch today, did it online. My bill should go down after all discounts are included but I won’t know for sure until my next bill. I can say that signing up for the included WatchTV and the free premium service was simple. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@janaewilliams wrote:

I have an old unlimited plan with 40 roll over and unlimited text that is running me $137.23

(450 Rollover= $39.99, Unlimited messaging w/ mobile to mobile calling= $20.00 & Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM= $45.00)

I also have a second line that runs me $46.50 (lowest shared data plan)

My monthly bill averages about $215-$223.

You definitely should switch to a newer unlimited plan!

When I add up those numbers, I only get to $183, is there a phone on there too?

Ive been told I cant change the GF Unlimited plan at all (meaning I cant drop the 450 rollover OR the messaging that also includes phone calls) which is weird.  I need to get this bill down.

You can certainly change FROM that plan, but you probably can't make many changes TO that ancient plan (add lines, change minutes, etc.).

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@janaewilliams wrote:

Can someone comment of if they have done this switch (or something similar) and how they felt about it afterwards?  As far as service, charges, etc? Were you happy you did it? Do you wish you hadn't? Please explain.

I was on the 700-minute ancient unlimited plan, I'm on unlimited plus now. I've noticed no difference (I was on a 20GB plan between those two, again, no difference in service/speeds). 

I use my laptop on the free hotspot all the time, I spend more time near the Canadian border and have more service now since I have Canada roaming and HBO!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Gary,

Are you an AT&T employee or Independent Contractor? Seems like it. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@icetrucker wrote:

Are you an AT&T employee or Independent Contractor? Seems like it. 

No.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@icetrucker

All employees or CSRs are clearly identified under their screen name.  The Aces are customers with a geek gene, who are interested in a particular topic.  I have a fondness for cellular devices and how things work.  Both Gary and I have a teaching background (he 2 legged, me 4 legged and their humans). 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Read through a lot of this and some of the information is misleading.

As far as the grandfathered unlimited goes, the legalities were simple. The carriers tried to cap, throttle, re-prioritize which was, in plain terms, a breach of contract (that long piece of paper you signed at the AT&T store). That went to court (whether being fought still or not), the carriers were told that they were to be held to that contract. Which means unlimited is unlimited (no throttling, no re-prioritizing, etc.). The new contracts (plans) do specify the throttling and re-prioritization so when you change from the grandfathered, the carrier can in fact do what they want. This is the real reason they are so desperate to get everyone off the grandfathered plans. Also why they keep raising prices (if unlimited is unlimited and there's no difference the cost is the same) and offering what looks to be a better deal. Once they have you off the plan, they can change their plans, services, etc. at will since these new plans abide by the new terms of service that say so.

Despite what the Fanboys here, or the AT&T person, state, if you're grandfathered on the truly unlimited and rely heavily on your data, you will lose out. If you're not using that much data, not in a heavily congested area, and really need the hotspot, then go ahead.

I'm on the old 450 rollover & unlimited data. I also added the unlimited talk and text for before my FAN discount I'm at $104.99. The new Unlimited Premium plan would cost $90 ($80 with auto-pay & paper-free). That all being said I'd save $2.50 cents a month (unless I auto-pay) so it's not worth it. I believe the $80 may also require a contract term of 2yrs (couldn't really understand the person in the Philippines when I called to double check all this). 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@RoiDesRoi wrote:

As far as the grandfathered unlimited goes, the legalities were simple. The carriers tried to cap, throttle, re-prioritize which was, in plain terms, a breach of contract (that long piece of paper you signed at the AT&T store). That went to court (whether being fought still or not), the carriers were told that they were to be held to that contract. Which means unlimited is unlimited (no throttling, no re-prioritizing, etc.). The new contracts (plans) do specify the throttling and re-prioritization so when you change from the grandfathered, the carrier can in fact do what they want. This is the real reason they are so desperate to get everyone off the grandfathered plans. 

AT&T has changed contracts multiple times in the past, as a result, people were able to get out of their contracts for free (and keep their phones).

As you're likely not on a contract right now, I can't think of any reason AT&T can't change that any way they want. They raised prices on it 3-times too.

Also why they keep raising prices (if unlimited is unlimited and there's no difference the cost is the same) and offering what looks to be a better deal. Once they have you off the plan, they can change their plans, services, etc. at will since these new plans abide by the new terms of service that say so.

If as you say the prices are pretty much the same, then aren't the cost increases they've had are what got them to be pretty much the same?

Regardless, if people are hanging on to older plans, why wouldn't you keep raising prices? You've shown that you're more than willing to pay it. If I wanted you off the old plans, I'd raise prices every year!

Getting you off the old plans makes sense, new customer support people don't understand the 10+ year old plans, they're billed differently and have minutes, get everyone on the newer plans and customer support will be easier to run.

Despite what the Fanboys here, or the AT&T person, state, if you're grandfathered on the truly unlimited and rely heavily on your data, you will lose out.

In what way?

Your old contract has expired a long time ago.

I'm on the old 450 rollover & unlimited data. I also added the unlimited talk and text for before my FAN discount I'm at $104.99. The new Unlimited Premium plan would cost $90 ($80 with auto-pay & paper-free). That all being said I'd save $2.50 cents a month (unless I auto-pay) so it's not worth it. I believe the $80 may also require a contract term of 2yrs (couldn't really understand the person in the Philippines when I called to double check all this). 

I used to be on the 700-minute version of that plan, I've had a few plans since then (MSV 20GB, MSV 10GB, Unlimited Plus) and I've never noticed speed differences or restrictions between the accounts (other than the obvious).

No contract is required to change plans. 

You could get the $10 auto-pay and request a $10 loyalty discount. That'd make it $25 less.

You'd get hotspot (high complaints on this throughout the years) and roaming in Canada/Mexico.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

That went to court (whether being fought still or not), the carriers were told that they were to be held to that contract. Which means unlimited is unlimited (no throttling, no re-prioritizing, etc.).

@RoiDesRoi No court ever told ATT or any carrier that they could not throttle or reprioritize. They were taken to court for not adequately notifying customers about the throttling, not for actually throttling. That grandfathered unlimited plan you have is subject to the same 22GB threshold for reprioritization as each newer plan. If you aren’t getting slowed on your old plan, you shouldn’t get slowed on the new plan either. Reprioritization is based on network congestion, not what plan you have. Even if the new plan only saves you $2.50, it’s worth it to switch in my opinion. In addition to the extras @Gary L mentioned, there is also Watch TV and the free premium extra.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@RoiDesRoi wrote:

Read through a lot of this and some of the information is misleading.

Read on, because a lot of your information is plain wrong.  

As far as the grandfathered unlimited goes, the legalities were simple. The carriers tried to cap, throttle, re-prioritize which was, in plain terms, a breach of contract (that long piece of paper you signed at the AT&T store). That went to court (whether being fought still or not), the carriers were told that they were to be held to that contract. Which means unlimited is unlimited (no throttling, no re-prioritizing, etc.).

Not correct.   AT&T was totally within their right to throttle and did so within the agreement with customers.  The FCC complained and slapped a fine on AT&T “for not adequately notifying customers of the throttling point.”  (Google it).   To which ATT immediately responded by emailing and texting legacy unlimited customers ad nauseum.  Within a month AT&T revamped its unlimited plan changing to reprioritization at 22 gigs.  

Those contracts no longer exist, even for customers on that plan, because AT&T no longer offers contracts on service.  

The new contracts (plans) do specify the throttling and re-prioritization so when you change from the grandfathered, the carrier can in fact do what they want.    There are no more contracts for service.  This is the real reason they are so desperate to get everyone off the grandfathered plans.   No, it’s not.  They have no contracts as none have been offered in 3 years.  They want people off the plan because maintaining old plans is a nusiance.   Also why they keep raising prices (if unlimited is unlimited and there's no difference the cost is the same)    No, the new plans don’t allow discounts from businesses.   and offering what looks to be a better deal. Once they have you off the plan, they can change their plans, services, etc. at will since these new plans abide by the new terms of service that say so.   Just like they can change any plan.  Old, new, whatever.  There are no service contracts.  AT&T can, has and will change prices or content of plans.  They did it to unlimited, they did to advantage, they are doing it to Value plan.  

Despite what the Fanboys here, or the AT&T person, state, if you're grandfathered on the truly unlimited   There is no such thing.  The “legacy” unlimited plan has no hotspot, and is reprioritized at 22 gigs, just like the new plans.  and rely heavily on your data, you will lose out. If you're not using that much data, not in a heavily congested area, and really need the hotspot, then go ahead.

I'm on the old 450 rollover & unlimited data. I also added the unlimited talk and text for before my FAN discount I'm at $104.99. The new Unlimited Premium plan would cost $90 ($80 with auto-pay & paper-free). That all being said I'd save $2.50 cents a month (unless I auto-pay) so it's not worth it. I believe the $80 may also require a contract term of 2yrs   No, again, there are no contracts.  (couldn't really understand the person in the Philippines when I called to double check all this).   

I’ve been paying for service only, no contract because there are none, for 5 years.   I buy my own phones at full price, not from AT&T.  So I don’t have an installment plan.  

Cannot stress enough, there are no contracts for service.  You can switch plans any time.  If your phones are paid off, you owe nothing but the current bill and are as free to leave as prepaid customers.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.